US Southwest AZ, TX, NM, OK

Need advice on selling XK120 in Phoenix area

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 09:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Need advice on selling XK120 in Phoenix area

A 1954 red XK120 RDSTR (located in Phoenix) has been in the family for decades. It has been in enclosed storage but has not been driven for decades. When originally acquired it was drivable. It has an "S" at end of vehicle ID number on title (I believe this is engine number and S means special edition). It does have the wire wheels. I was told it had been used in at least one race.

Owner recently passed and I am trying to help figure out best way to sell. Any advice anyone can give me on auction houses that sell undrivable cars would be great. And/or any places that buy such cars in the Phoenix area.

Any other tips, ideas, suggestion would be greatly welcome.

Thank you!

Old 10-29-2022, 11:49 AM

UPDATE: as a result of my originals posts here a fellow member who lives in the Phoenix area reached out and has provided so much help it's unbelievable! He spent 3-4 hours going over the car, helping to educate me and letting me know what info I needed to provide the bidders. I won't say his name as he might want to remain anonymous, but we can't thank him enough. What a great site and community you have here that would help a newbie like me find so much help. Thanks so much!

In case you want to see the car that we got so much help with, the Phoenix area XK120 M(SE) Roadster is currently in auction on BaT (Ends Monday, 10/31 at 1:20 pm EST, 10:20am PST/MST: 55-Years-Family-Owned 1954 Jaguar XK120 SE Roadster Project for sale on BaT Auctions - ending October 31 (Lot #89,153) | Bring a Trailer

Old 10-30-2022, 12:53 PM

ENGINE update on Phoenix Jag - This ENGINE TURNS AND THE PISTONS MOVE FREELY!!! Watch the video (
) where Jaguar Forum member RM9700 offered his amazing help to teach me what I needed to know in order to auction the car. AND HE ALSO removed the spark plugs, added some oil, waited for a while and was able to turn the engine and note that the pistons moved freely and there was not water in the plug compartment or in the oil! YAY! How amazing is that considering it was parked, not driven and not started after 1969? That’s 53 years! And, considering that the car was fairly young when my brother bought it in Oct 1962 and it had a replacement engine and he only drove it recreationally, I’m guessing this engine has very few miles on it. And the engine was working perfectly when it was parked. The vandalism was only to the exterior of the car. This engine PURRRRS. My sister-in-law loved the roaring, rumbling, purring sound it made and said “No wonder it’s called a Jaguar! There is no other experience like it.”

Oh, and remember that amazing aluminum body XK120 that sold for 121K last month, well the winner of that beauty is also bidding on this car. YAY!! Here's the link to the auction if you want to watch or even better, bid. It ends in less than 24 hours (Monday 10/31 at 1:20PM EST).

Old 11-04-2022, 11:36 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

awesome news!!! glad to hear another forum member has helped you not only online but in person, I'm sure they enjoyed doing so as well seeing such an antique beauty hope you got the price you wanted for it as well!

Old 11-04-2022, 12:06 PM

Thanks, karamayoko! We are very happy with the outcome of the auction. Again, thanks to RM9700 it was transformed to an exciting instead of a scary experience!!!

Old 11-04-2022, 12:11 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

do you personally own a jaguar or was it just the antique? If so enjoy the forum as the forum is quite helpful with many tips and tricks towards the Jags!

Old 11-05-2022, 09:59 AM

Hi Karamayoko, the Jags were owned by my brother and his wife. My brother passed away a few months ago and his wife has to move and needs the money to live on. So, I am helping her sell the Jags. One down and one to go.

The other Jag is located in Kansas City and has been in a storage unit for over 40 years. It's a 1951 XK120 FHC with a 140 SE engine and appears to be in much better condition than the jag that just was auctioned. The body appears to have very little rust. However, neither of us lives in Kansas City so we have not been able to do go over the car in detail like what RM9700 did with the Arizona Jag. Nor have we tried to turn the engine like RM9700 did with the Arizona Jag.

While the Arizona Jag "sold" about a week ago, the buyer who lives in Europe is having a hard time arranging a shipper since the European standard is to use the Chassis # as the VIN. But the Arizona Jag was titled in Missouri and their stand is to use the Engine #. Shippers are telling him that they will not import it if the title VIN does not have the chassis #. We reached out to Missouri to see if they would change it. They said it was unlikely they would agree as the engine# is their legal standard, but we could request it and then it will take 6-8 weeks to hear back their decision! The owner, my sister-in-law, is moving next week! So, this is a big issue now. We may have to try to go to the next bidder. The current high bidder will let us know Monday, or hopefully before, if he wants to continue with the purchase.

Once the owner completes her move and we have all recovered from this auction we will start working on selling the Kansas City jag. I'm sure I'll be posting info on that once we are ready to sell it.

Thanks for your interest.

Last edited by Help2JAGS; 11-05-2022 at 10:04 AM.