US Southwest AZ, TX, NM, OK

Texas registration question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 04:12 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Texas registration question

I bought my XK8 2 weeks ago from an independent dealer... It has a paper dealer plate on it at present. I also have what I assume is the actual license plate in the trunk.
The paper dealer plate is set to expire in 3 days... So what situation will I be in then?

I haven't received a title or any paperwork from the DMV yet... The dealer said he would pay the taxes and update the title for me.

So can I still drive with these expired paper plates and no registration or title or anything?

I did search online but haven't found the specific answer yet...

Old 10-19-2021, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

Last car I bought (from a dealer) it was coming down to like a week left, I called the dealer and they offered that if it didn't come in time, they'd give me another paper plate with an extended date on it. But by the time I got there to pick up another paper plate, they'd gotten the permanent plate in. I'd say to call your dealer and harass them a little.

The following users liked this post:
VroomForTwo (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 04:39 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Phil's idea is better than mine, which is:

Don't let it stop you from driving it until the dealer sends you your plates. Only the biggest tool of a cop is going to pull you over for just a temp tag that's a few days out of date--they know the DMV isn't always Johnny-on-the-Spot with paperwork.

That said, you'd better be pure as Ivory Soap otherwise. Especially since there are some tool cops around.

The following 2 users liked this post by VroomForTwo:
Dickiederson (10-20-2021), SleekJag12 (10-21-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 09:34 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks!

i did speak to the dealer (when I say dealer, he’s a licensed guy in Dallas who flips cars from auction from his garage…)

he basically said to carry on driving because there’s not much chance of getting pulled over. That’s probably the best I’ll get out of him…

I’ve seen quite a few expired paper plates on the road now I know what to look for.

I just fixed a broken tail light so hopefully that will help 🤣

I’m wondering if going to a AAA office might be worth a shot… I have the actual plate from the car so I wonder if they’ll be able to give me tags based on a bill of sale, inspection and insurance.

I’m actually enjoying the fact the whole process seems so different in each state!

Old 10-20-2021, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Dickiederson

I’m actually enjoying the fact the whole process seems so different in each state!

In Washington and Oregon it's quite painless; never had any difficulties with the DMV (Oregon) or the licensed agents (Washington)

As far as getting pulled over for expired tags goes, Oregon went to 'appointment only' for renewals (Covid), delaying a person's ability of getting new tags. Thus police were told ....you probably won't find this on paper anywhere.....to give considerable leeway to drivers with expired registrations. I think anything less than 6 months overdue is ignored.

In any case, no matter where you are, an awful lot depends on the individual officer and circumstances at the moment.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Dickiederson (10-20-2021), VroomForTwo (03-21-2022)