US Western AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

BAJ Summer Run

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 12:11 AM
Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by AirClary
Crap... The 8th is the only Saturday in August that I can't make... Was looking forward to the summer run with you nice folks. Oh well... Next time I guess.
That's a shame. What about joining us September 19 at the British car show at Blackhawk? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...museum-146620/

Old 08-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

I can't make it but, it looks like Jill wil grab a friend and bring the XK. I'm going to give her the link to the Forum so she can make plans.
Dave

The following users liked this post:
Rhett (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 311 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhett
We're a few hours less than a week away.

Here's a summary of the what/where:
August 8, 2015, we'll meet at the Embassy Suites 101 McInnis Pkwy, San Rafael, CA 94903 as close to 8:30AM PDT as you can manage.
•While everyone arrives, we'll visit, enjoy sharing our cars, stories, use the restrooms in the hotel if needed, etc... until...
Roughly 9:45AM, we will depart via this route to the Marin French Cheese Factory: https://goo.gl/maps/6UYnP
•I've checked all the West Marin online calendars I can find for conflicting events and it looks clear but the rule of thumb is that the earlier we get out, the less competition we'll have for the open road. The Final leg of the journey is a secluded old country road with beautiful views and while the road isn't bad, it does have a few potholes. Keep sharp.
•The Marin French Cheese Factory has quite a bit of parking space, lots of picnic tables and lawn (see the photos above). They sell wine, cheese, soft drinks and have a limited but delicious deli. There are no cook fires so anything you bring for a picnic must already be cooked. Bringing a picnic of your own is highly recommended but not required.
When you are ready to leave, you can follow this route to get back to US HWY 101 (or if you just want to join us for lunch around noon you can reverse this from 101): https://goo.gl/maps/FyWFR
My Google Voice number is: 415-488-6568. My name is Rhett, my wife and partner in crime's name is Heather.
•I will likely be driving a white Jaguar XJ-S coupe, Heather will be in a white 1995 Jaguar XJ6 VDP.
•Marin is a beautifully mountainous area with many micro-climates. Bring layers of clothing because you never know if it will be hot or cool, even in summer.
•I'll be bringing a Go-Pro. If you want to bring yours, I'll endeavor to cut it into a video to commemorate the run. Here's SARCs very polished video from the last run in March: https://vimeo.com/120995272
•The run from the Embassy Suites to the Cheese factory is anywhere from 60 to 80 minutes long through areas of breathtaking beauty and inconsistent mobile service, so...
•We will try to print enough maps for everyone.

Here's my current list of definite-to-likely attendees:
Me: White XJ-S (or black XJ6 SIII, depending on the XJ-S, honestly)
Heather: White '95 X300 VDP
SARC and Mrs. SARC: XJS
SMGData: XJ40 or XJ-S
PrimaZ: S-Type
David Cooper & dad: Dad's E-Type SIII DHC (and possible guest Porsche or Alfa for wife and son)
Justin: XJ6 series III
Mike Cooper (no relation to David): Something probably modern.
Rocam XJR - ???

Anyone else? An RSVP will guarantee you a print out of the route.

Any questions, you can private message me or, if it's the day of, text me.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Best,
Rhett and Heather

Rhett & Heather,

Great job, we are looking forward to this get together and drive! I am trying to research some olive oil tastings to visit after lunch; if anyone is interested I'll let you know where we decide. Thus far I sent an email to McEvoy in Petaluma but if not we might take a 40 minute drive to BR Cohn at Glen Ellen

Last edited by primaz; 08-02-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Rhett (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a shame. What about joining us September 19 at the British car show at Blackhawk? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...museum-146620/
That is a good day for me so far... I will put it on my calendar and try to defend it against the inevitable onslaught of life sucking time management gremlins!!!

Old 08-03-2015, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by DaveC
I can't make it but, it looks like Jill wil grab a friend and bring the XK. I'm going to give her the link to the Forum so she can make plans.
Dave
Heather says to tell Jill that she's bringing champagne. So we'll be toasting you after all.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Default See you tomorrow...

Hi Everyone,

See you tomorrow between 8:30 AM and 9:45 AM at the Embassy Suites parking lot 101 McInnis Parkway, San Rafael
https://goo.gl/maps/VaaWf

I'll be parking at the west end of the parking lot, closest to the freeway and furthest from the entrance to the hotel, so as to minimize inconvenience to actual guests.

I'm printing 15 sets of directions for the run because I'm not exactly clear how many people will be attending. I'm attaching PDF docs of the run, two screen shots of turns you won't want to miss and the easiest route back out to HWY 101.

The Run: https://goo.gl/maps/6UYnP

The route back out from the Cheese Factory to 101 is: https://goo.gl/maps/FyWFR

Best,
Rhett

Old 08-09-2015, 01:01 AM
Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone, for a fun, low key run. Good to see you all.

Dave, Jill, Tim and Myrna, you were missed.

Shawn, I'm sorry I didn't get any photos of your car. Glad you both made it.

We had a great time. Thanks again!

Best,
Rhett and Heather

Three generations of XJ

Old 08-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Huge thank you to Rhett for organizing the route and run. It was just what we needed.

Even huger thank you to Heather for the amazing spread she laid out for us at the end of the run.

A perfect day. See you all soon.

Rhett (08-09-2015)
Old 08-09-2015, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Rhett & Heather,

Great meet up and drive! We had a great time and look forward to future BAJ runs.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by primaz
Rhett & Heather,

Great meet up and drive! We had a great time and look forward to future BAJ runs.
Thanks Alan. Great seeing you and June again. Your car was, once again, the star of the event. Sorry we didn't get it together to join you on your olive oil quest. I'm thinking we should build something like a secondary, optional run like that into the next one.

Best,
Rhett and Heather

Old 08-09-2015, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by primaz
Rhett & Heather,

Thanks Alan. Great seeing you and June again. Your car was, once again, the star of the event. Sorry we didn't get it together to join you on your olive oil quest. I'm thinking we should build something like a secondary, optional run like that into the next one.

Best,
Rhett and Heather

Old 08-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Best,
Rhett and Heather

Rhett & Heather,

I think that could be a great idea to enable some that might be coming further away and not wanting to wake up so early to meet at the lunch spot and continue on the second leg of the drive while giving others whom cannot make it a whole day event leave after lunch.

Another suggestion that I picked up from a open make more aggressive paced run is to use those two way radio's you can inexpensively. What they did is ensure that the lead car and the car at the end have them and you if you get another person to bring a pair you can do the same with having two different paced groups of drivers. Using that technique we averaged often 80-100 mph going thru Yellowstone park and the lead car as well as others had radar detectors and their passengers kept a look out for the law. That might get more of the F type owners to join up on a run?

Great job again to both of you it was a great day.

Rhett (08-10-2015)
Old 08-10-2015, 10:29 AM

Good ideas. Trying to strike a balance between a run fast enough to keep the F-Type / XKR/XJR drivers happy but not so fast as to lose the older or slower cars, was a definite challenge in both the planning and execution. We've talked about getting radios. With smaller groups like we had Saturday, keeping the group from getting separated is easier but still a risk. I'd like to get more of the older cars in on the action. Also, if we do more of these, I'd like to get a few more GoPro cameras for more varied footage.

It's not as polished or tightly edited as the videos SARC produces but here are a view clips from the day. The music is royalty free from Bensound.com:

https://vimeo.com/135890396

Last edited by Rhett; 08-10-2015 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added link to video
Sarc (08-10-2015)
Old 08-13-2015, 02:26 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Sorry we coudn't make it. Looks like another classic BAJrs run.
Cheers,
Jill & Dave

Old 08-16-2015, 11:49 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry we missed it too! Looks like the usual great time. I need to pay better attention to the forum.

Cheers,
David

Old 08-17-2015, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great pictures! I would love to go on the next drive! is it an open invite?

Old 08-17-2015, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by NoDice55
Great pictures! I would love to go on the next drive! is it an open invite?
Absolutely. A friendlier, more open bunch of people you are unlikely to meet. It's just not a very tightly organized group.

NoDice55 (08-18-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by david55838
Sorry we missed it too! Looks like the usual great time. I need to pay better attention to the forum.

Cheers,
David
Sorry we missed you. This forum isn't exactly ideally structured for setting these up, keeping us all in the loop, etc.. but I'm not sure if another site, like meetup.com, would be a viable alternative since the BAJrs is, if nothing else, an extension of the JaguarForums.com community.

Thoughts?

Old 08-17-2015, 10:11 PM
Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry we missed this, will try for next time!

Old 08-20-2015, 05:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Might be selling my Series III if you know anyone...

Quick Reply: BAJ Summer Run