US Western AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

Jag Mechanic in the L.A. area?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 10:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pmc

I know it's a bit of a drive.
We have customers coming in from Dana Point to Semi Vally. If you ever have your Jag. at another shop and need a second opinion or advice, just give me a call

Old 03-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just spoke to Owen at Pasadena Motor Cars and the prices he quoted seemed very reasonable. I would definitely recommend given his background.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edited because I just found out I'm going to San Fransisco instead!

Last edited by Dave S; 04-30-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dave S
Edited because I just found out I'm going to San Fransisco instead!
Bring money - lots, and lots of money...

Old 05-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I also need a good mechanic in LA mobile though

I have a 1991 Jaguar xj6 with about 110k.

Recently I began noticing a low pitched hum from the rear of the car. I replaced the rear wheel bearings and output shaft bearings myself, got it all back together and the noise went away.

This was a big undertaking for me and I was so proud of myself that I did it!

Then about 2 weeks later the radiator hose broke, I pulled into a gas station and was able to coast the mile back to my house.

The hose is the one underneath the intake manifold, it is a pain to get to.

I ordered the part, and took out the airbox, loosened the alternator, and took out the maf, to get to the hose.

I was so concerned about getting the thing on in the back where I can't reach that it is now on too far and I can't get it off far enough to attach the other end!

I am going out of town in a week and also have to move, I don't have time to finish this job.

Is there a mobile mechanic that can come to my house in West Hollywood, Beverly and Robertson and finish this job?

Is there anyone interested in buying this car?

The interior is in great shape, it has one dent in the passenger door. But was running great and has four brand new michelin tires.

Maybe someone wants to trade wheels/tires?

Anyway let me know if anyone can help.

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Try Vartan. He will come to your house and work on the car there or pick it up and bring it back. He worked on my 2000 XJ8 and did fine work. Email him at vartkamber at yahoo dot com. Good luck, Andrew

Old 06-03-2011, 02:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Experience with Just Jaguar

I took my 2001 XJ8 to Just Jaguar for the past 18 months. Whilst they are very friendly I wasn't 100% satisfied with all the work done on the last visit there. However, before I comment on that, I will say that they replaced the upper tensioners on my car and handled the job perfectly. They also did a TCM software update on my wife's 2005 S-Type which completely solved her "lurching" problem.

My disappointment was with the last visit. I had a fender bender in my XJ8 which required replacement of the left headlamp. They fitted a new headlamp for me, but I noticed there was movement when you touched it. Sort of like a loose tooth. There was no movement in the other side and I expected the repair to be the same. How could they possibly have bothered to aim the light correctly if there was movement in the installation? Also, I asked them to re-glue my third brake light which had come loose. When I inspected the work I noticed that the plastic case had been cracked and glued back together, and where they had glued it to the glass it wasn't quite straight. I think I paid for a first class job, but received a sloppy botch job. Finally, before I was leaving, I wanted to purchase an OEM XJR mesh grill inset they had available. It was 10 minutes before closing time, and they wouldn't sell it to me because it was too much work to look up the price they wanted for it. They told me to come back tomorrow. I live 10 miles away and they had already had my car for a week. There was no way I was going to schlep a 20 mile round-trip for the grill inserts the next day. After 18 months and more than $5K spent there between my car and my wife's S-Type, I would have liked to be treated better.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I had heard good things about Just Jaguar and had our XJ8 serviced there once. They seem to run a professional shop and did good work - although I thought it was pricey. As for your headlight and brake light repairs - I would not expect a mechanic to do a good job when it comes to body and interior work. It's like asking a hamburger joint to fix you a steak. You'll get it but it won't be great. You need to go to a body shop or upholstery guy to get that type of work done right. I have restored a lot of classics and you need someone who knows how to pay attention to detail. That's not going to be a mechanic. Porsche mechanic maybe but not a Jag guy. Just my 2 cents. Andrew

Last edited by ajmarton; 06-04-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:52 AM
Default Just Jaguar

You're right - and I can be thankful that next time I have a need for bodywork or interior work I'll have more wisdom. I have no issue with the mechanical work they carried out over the past 18 months which was fine. I don't have an issue with their pricing - if it was out of sync with the market then they would have no business. We do have a choice where to take our cars. They have always charged me more or less what they quoted me.

However, the shortcomings of my last visit made me wonder about quality control and attention to detail. It's not so much if the job is classified as mechanical or body work, but what it says about the pride they take in their work and the standard of work they consider acceptable. I'm not suggesting that any of their mechanical work is sub par, but quite honestly, without the car breaking down or some other obvious sign, I would never know. So it's the seed of doubt planted by this last experience which has caused me to be open to establishing a relationship with another independent shop.

At the end of the day, I want to feel like a valued customer. After having spent $5K+ with them in 18 months, I would have hoped they would have taken the time to look up the price of the mesh grill and sold it to me. In effect, telling me to come back tomorrow demonstrated what little respect they had for my time, and how little they valued my custom. As a result, they no longer have it. I've already made an appointment with another shop in this thread for my 2004 VDP. If they had treated me like a valued customer, they would have had my business for life.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:15 AM
Default Great Experience at RMB Auto North Hollywood

At the recommendation of others on this thread, I took my Vanden Plas to RMB Auto in North Hollywood for a transmission flush and oil change. I would highly recommend him. He's been in business for 29 years and his prices are very reasonable. The owner, Richard, is a very friendly guy and you can tell he's extremely passionate about Jags. He also supplied and installed an OEM XJR mesh grill he had for $100. The cheapest I found for OEM was $139 per side on ebay, so to get both sides and have them installed for $100 is a bargain. I'll be going back in a month or so for front lower control arms.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:46 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 02-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Teck4Jag
what type of work do you guys need done?i may be able to help
I just got into the jag scene wondering if u can help me out with basic HID and FOGs

Old 02-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

...adding in a vote of confidence for Pasadena Motor Cars. They took very good care of me and my 07 XK when I needed some work done a few months ago.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:22 PM

Yeah British Motor Cars on Lankershim or Vineland is NOT open on the weekends so that's out. I just need someone to change out the secondary tensioners like 4 hours or less work. But only someone who knows Jags. I'm in North Hollywood.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

I need to change/flush ATF in my 05 XJ8L, 97k mi. I am in Alhambra.
Anyone know an experienced shop or individual who can do it? Will bring all parts and fluid.

Cheers,

Wolfy

Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 AM

Ive been working on jaguars for the last 10 years. Anybody interested in some side work just pm me I can come to you.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I am availible in lakewood area

Old 05-03-2012, 12:26 AM

Here's one in North Hollywood. Hovak changed my secondary tensioners.

BRITISH CARS U.S.A - Specialize on all late model British Cars

Old 09-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I have heard good things about that shop on Yelp. I am a newbie however.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My two cents. . .

I used this thread to research a reliable mechanic in the Los Angeles area before I moved here from Illinois earlier this year. Unfortunately, it wasn't long before I needed one. My sunroof gave up the ghost, and I needed a 100,000 mile service, so I paid Richard at RMB Auto in North Hollywood a visit.

Great guy! And his dogs are cool, too! He really knows his stuff with Jaguars, he's reasonably priced, is not afraid to tell you what are simple fixes that you can do yourself, and is willing to refer you to someone else if they can do a better job. Those are qualities I look for in any trustworthy mechanic.

For the sunroof, he referred me to Tiko at Burbank Auto Upholstery. If anyone out there has sunroof, headliner, or upholstery issues, Tiko is your guy. He takes a lot of pride in his work, and does a fantastic job in a timely manner. My only (small) complaint is that he used gasoline to clean the new headliner. I guess that's an old school way of doing it, but it reeks up your car for a while. Beyond that, he was great. Just be sure to haggle with him on pricing.

So that's my vote for Richard at RMB Auto. . .

Quick Reply: Jag Mechanic in the L.A. area?