US Western AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

Jag Mechanic in the L.A. area?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default LA Mechanics

Originally Posted by Booty1313
My only (small) complaint is that he used gasoline to clean the new headliner. I guess that's an old school way of doing it, but it reeks up your car for a while. Beyond that, he was great. Just be sure to haggle with him on pricing.

So that's my vote for Richard at RMB Auto. . .
Do you mean you should haggle with Tiko or RMB auto?

Budster

Old 09-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely haggle with Tiko at Burbank Auto Upholstery.

There's not any harm in haggling with Richard at RMB, but he's a pretty straight shooter on pricing.

Of course, as with any service, cash is king. Ask for a cash discount.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Good Tire/Wheel place in LA

Hi all

I was hoping that someone knew of a good and reasonable tire/wheel place in LA -(WLA or Sherman Oaks would be ideal). I think that I need a high speed balancing. I have a vibration at 35 & 70MPH. Hopefully it is not a bent wheel. I just aquired this one owner '06 XK8. It has 18" chrome wheels with Continenatal tires.

Buddy

Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Try Globe Tire on La Cienega near Venice Blvd. It's right off the 10 Freeway. Andrew

Originally Posted by Budster
Hi all

I was hoping that someone knew of a good and reasonable tire/wheel place in LA -(WLA or Sherman Oaks would be ideal). I think that I need a high speed balancing. I have a vibration at 35 & 70MPH. Hopefully it is not a bent wheel. I just aquired this one owner '06 XK8. It has 18" chrome wheels with Continenatal tires.

Buddy

The following users liked this post:
Budster (09-23-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Hi guys. I live in Encino, Bonnet to Boot is practically next door. However, did not come across any ratings of this place. I need to have the tensioners converted on my 01 XJR. So far RMB seems to be the best bet. If anyone had any work done recently at any other places, please feel free to advise.

Hornsburg is NOT a good place to take your car. They take too long and not exactly friendly. Techs at dealerships are more interested in flagging as many hours as possible. Not to say that they do inferior jobs but the techs at dealers don't have to stand behind their work like the independent techs do. Its the dealer's name on the job, not their own.

As for the tires, Globe Tires and Wheels are great. They've been around for years and supply all major dealers with rims. Its a good place to keep in mind if you are looking for some take-offs.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:00 AM

Ok, after reading all the posts on the secondary timing chain tensioners I decided not to tempt fate and get them replaced. As the saying goes, the cheap person pays twice. Besides, like the rest of the owners here I love my Jag.

I followed the advice posted here and called RMB. I spoke to Richard and the guy was extremely nice and seemed very knowledgeble. He told me that XJR doesn't experince the same amount of plastic tensioner failures as the normally aspirated XJ's because XJR's don't have variable cam timing. Anyhow, the job was going to cost about $1500 and take 2 days.

For comparison, I called Pasadena Motor Cars and Owen quoted me "roughly $800" and one day repair. The price does include all new valve cover gaskets. I would be leary of such a big dicrepancy had I not known Owen's background as a factory trained tech.

In fairness to Richard and RMB, he is a one man operation and hence it would take him a bit longer. One day more or less is not a big deal. However, the difference in the price is. Going over to see Owen this week to take care of the tensioners. Thought about doing these myself but don't feel exactly 100% mechanically about the Jags yet. Besides, the XJR is my DD and I don't have the luxury of doing trial and error.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:35 AM

So, after sweating while reading horrors of secondary timing tensioners going bad, I took my XJR to Pasadena Motor Cars. Owen changed the tensioners and the gaskets for $860. That also included an oil change since I hadn't dropped the oil since I purchased the car. Well, the tensioners were starting to crack. I had Owen save them for me and will post pic's. This is the major load off my mind. IMO this is by far the best thing you can do for your car.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know more about your mobile jag tech...

Old 11-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Depending on what you need done I maybe able to be mobile

Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Default LA repairs XJS '96

1996 XJS w/82K miles and this is my...

Repair wish list:
-I've got a dead ABS switch and it costs ~700 to buy. not a part you want to be risky with.
-My mufflers are working-but near a certain end probably in 6 months.
-a/c compressor install
-electrical shorts in back rear roof top window

DITTO: GLOBE tire is very good. In the past I used to order Yokohama's direct and have them put on the car at a local place-but he is no longer. Did Hankook's with Globe this time. excellent service.

NORM'S 76 on Sunset at Crescent Hghts does excellent work. He's very good and I believe very honest and reasonable. Haven't had any nonsense. Highly recommend. Haven't gone to him for a quote on my wish list above yet. Checking my options.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LA area mechanic

I highly recommend RMB Auto in North Hollywood. Richard (owner) is one of the most knowledgeable and honest mechanics around. Jags are his specialty. He is affordable and easy to reach. I have been using him for 7 years on 4 different Jags and he has been the most invaluable resource.

5421 Cleon Ave
North Hollywood CA 91601
818-753-1784
Tue-Sat 9:30-6 PM

Chris Cordone
95 XJS Convertible
01 XJ8

Old 11-06-2012, 08:38 AM

Give a shout to Owen at Pasadena Motor Cars. He just did the secondary tensioners on my XJR for almost 1/2 of what RMB quoted. Owen is factory certified and worked for both Rusnak and Penske. Over the phone Richard at RMB sounded like a nice guy. However he is a one man army and thus repairs might take a bit longer to do. Owen did my car in one afternoon, while Richard said he would need several days. I would compare both places. Ultimately go with the place you feel most comfortable with.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone know if RMB is still in business? I visited his location but the building has no signs or any cars parked in front. His number always goes to the answering machine.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:41 PM

I have had several Jags, all makes and models and will not take my cars to anyone or anywhere other than RMB AUTO in North Hollywood!!!

Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 PM

yes...he is still in business....818-753-1784

Old 11-29-2012, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by LACat
Does anyone know if RMB is still in business? I visited his location but the building has no signs or any cars parked in front. His number always goes to the answering machine.
Spoke to Rick last week, he is there.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RMB hours

Richard's hours are Tues-Sat 10-6 (Thanksgiving week/weekend notwithstanding). He is almost always reachable by phone during those hours. He does not advertise on his building nor keep cars out front to keep attention away from the high-end autos he has in the garage.

Chris C
95 XJS
01 XJ8

Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by LACat
Was just there last month too. Maybe you have the wrong address. Are you going to 5421 Cleon?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you all for your help. I did have the pleasure of meeting Richard. I didn't realize that his shop was closed on Mondays and I thought he had moved when I didn't see the signs or any cars there.

Richard is an absolute pleasure to work with. He knows Jags like the back of his hand. He worked on my car and I asked him to drive it around for a day or two to do a full analysis.

Any Jag owners in the San Fernando Valley area should have their cats cured by Doctor Richard.

Last edited by LACat; 11-29-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to give a thumbs up to Owen at Pasadena motorcars I hung out with him at his shop this Saturday while they were changing the tranny pan & sleeve on my wifes S Type. He really loves cars and has quite a collection of older Fords and has a built XJR thats really sweet! Has a lot of knowledge Jag specifics and is a cool guy.

Quick Reply: Jag Mechanic in the L.A. area?