US Western AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

Next BAJr's meet :: Over the Bridge

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
Will be two of us. XKR should be fully sorted by then (one more pass on the rear lights and a sound system tweak) or I could bring the new F-Type and we could play "where the hell do you put the luggage".
Glad to have you both in any car Rob

Old 07-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Ok, here is the proposal

Sunday Aug 18th 10am --> muster in the car park at the back of the Walgreens at 227 Shoreline Hwy, Mill Valley. This is about 10 minutes drive North of the Golden Gate Bridge. 10.30am depart along CA-1 over the hills towards Stinson Beach. Turn off CA-1 at Reyes Point and head up into the hills towards Fairfax. Arrive at Two Bird Cafe around 12 ish for lunch. If you've never driven your Jag on CA-1, you haven't lived. We did the whole route this afternoon and it was fabulous. It will be even more fabulous surrounded by other Jaguars!

Some notes about the route :

The road surfaces are perfect, brand new in fact, except for a 4 mile stretch just after you turn off the CA-1 in Point Reyes, where there are some potholes. I was getting a little bit annoyed with this road surface in my Portfolio (stupid 20" wheels) but the fact that I now know the road surface becomes brand new again after 4 miles would make me feel better about the slight bumpy bits. There was also a piece of single lane road where it looks like a landslide has removed half of the road. Although we had to go one at a time through this single lane bit, it didn't hold us up more than a few minutes. What about Traffic....... I think leaving at 10.30am is about the right compromise between putting some folks off due to an early start.... Tim :-) and running the risk of traffic, although today we ran the route at 2pm and I couldn't have driven it any faster, ie I wasn't held up at all. The road is pretty twisty, but hopefully the views make it worth while. We saw some suicide cyclists on the road today, so you need to watch out for that. There are signs saying CA-1 is closed to Muir Woods (which is true) but that doesn't affect our route. If we have a lot of cars, it will be pretty impossible to stay in line of sight, but the route is so easy hopefully no one gets lost. I will bring plenty of maps on the day to hand out. There are some pretty steep hills, so anybody with cooling issues (Shawn, and, erm, me) please take note. Here is the detailed route map. It took us around 1 hour and 15 minutes.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...via=1&t=m&z=11

We went in to the Two Bird Cafe around closing time, just to see what the place looked like. It is old skool cool. Disclaimer : We didn't actually eat there, but we spoke to a few patrons, had a look at the menu, and read the Yelp reviews (57 reviews, 4.5 stars) so we feel safe proposing it for brunch.

There were some requests to keep the route length down, so I think this one meets that request. If you return through Fairfax, it is an extremely easy straight road, about 17 miles to the 101, so all in all the trip will be about 50 miles. Once we have had brunch, you are free to either take the easy way back through Fairfax, or turn around and do the route in reverse. We'll see how we feel on the day, but if the weather is nice, it's hard to resist the coast road. Talking of weather, it was pretty chilly today.... around 60 degrees on the coast, but it gets nice and warm when you turn inland. So, convertible owners might want to bring some warm clothing if you are going to go top down.

I will wait a few days in case there is any severely negative feedback on the brunch place... if not I will make a block booking for us.

I would also appreciate any feedback on any issues people see with the route....... if you are going to mention "traffic" I need some quantitative feedback, ie not "ooooo there could be traffic", but more like "I live in Stinson Beach and the traffic sucks between 10 and 2pm" I was also concerned about the traffic, but I don't see anything on Google traffic (when you can see previous traffic), and also as I said we drove it today much later than we are planning and it was still fine.

For those wanting to make a longer weekend of it, we are staying at this place on Saturday night......

Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael
1010 Northgate Drive
San Rafael, CA 94903

.......and I plan to book a table at Poggio in Sausalito for 7pm on Saturday night. If you would like to join us for dinner, you are more than welcome.

So, thats it.

Please PM me to confirm :

1) Yes, I am going to do the Sunday drive. Let me know how many people and cars
2) Yes, I would like to meet for dinner on Saturday night. Let me know how many people.

I would like to get the numbers final by 2nd August

As mentioned before, I also have the Jaguar Forums Banner and car window stickers, so we should be able to get some great group pictures.

For those of you who have done a run with us before, I hope I can keep up the standard set by DaveC and MarcB.

For the new folks who responded to this thread when I started it........ it would be great to meet some new people, so I really hope you can make it. This is a really mellow group of people from all walks of life who all happen to like Jaguars. There is no pretense here :-)

My goal is 15 cars....... :-)

The following users liked this post:
Nardoswiss (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Scott - I've opned a specific thread for this planned meet here...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/w...st-18th-99742/

This is now specfic to that meet event, so hopewfully won't get too bogged down by replies that don't apply

All posters should post into that thread

Hope it helps

The following users liked this post:
Nardoswiss (07-30-2013)