US Western AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

Portland - Looking for a good service center

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portland - Looking for a good service center

Hi all,

Are there are any Portland Oregon members out there? If there are, can you recommend a good place to get your Jag serviced in Portland?

Cheers,
SX

Old 04-13-2010, 05:34 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StumptownX
Hi all,

Are there are any Portland Oregon members out there? If there are, can you recommend a good place to get your Jag serviced in Portland?

Cheers,
SX
Yes there are a few of us here. You should add your location to your profile so we know you're from OreGone.

The Jag Shop on 58th and Burnside and Consolidated Motors is a second.

You'll have to look up Consolidated's address. It's a street off of Barbur Blvd.

Columbia Transmissions at 1737 SE 12th will service/work on the tranny.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:08 AM

GreenJewel - thanks very much for the reply. I'm glad you mentioned Consolidated, as I'd been wondering about them. Have you used them or heard specific reports about them? I didn't even know about the Jag Shop - thanks!

SX

Old 04-14-2010, 03:08 AM

GreenJewel - thanks very much for the reply. I'm glad you mentioned Consolidated, as I'd been wondering about them. Have you used them or heard specific reports about them? I didn't even know about the Jag Shop - thanks!

SX
Ed at Consolidated did the inspection of my XK8. They have a very nice 73 E-Type in their waiting area. He and his wife are also members of the Jaguar Owners of Oregon Club. http://www.joco.org

It's my understanding they spent a medium fortune on test and data equ.

Last edited by GreenJewel; 04-14-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:52 PM

Well now I have to go to Consolidated just to see that E-Type!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an appointment next Wednesday at the Jag Shop for them to check out a couple of things on the 03 Stype I just acquired. They seem excellent on the phone, for starters and was very willing to give me advice/and quotes on the phone even before I made an appointment or before they could actually inspect my car. We will see how it goes and I'll get a post out on my experience. I was equally impressed with Monte Shelton Jag downtown Portland on Friday when I drove in to pick up a printed copy of the dealer summary of my car/options document. They did this off of my VIN #. I was just curious to see the specs on my car when it was sold new and the options that were installed. They were very helpful and did this for free! They also showed me some of the power options on my car that I still was trying to figure out. I might just have to go there sometime and give them a service call!

Old 04-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll put a plug in for the Sports Car Shop in Eugene www.sportscarshop.com. Bob Macherione runs a top notch shop with all the Jaguar diagnostic equipment. I know some folks from Portland bring their cars down for him to work on.
Jerry

Old 05-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Default Northwest Investment Cars is another PDX option

I was surprised to find out that NWIC's does service as well as sell the luxury cars! Have no experience with them, but it's another option for the Portland area. http://nwicars.com/service.htm

Old 05-01-2010, 02:31 PM

Gary I look forward to hearing about your experience with Jag Shop. Also I'm curious about any price differences between Monte Shelton and the other options. I always expect the dealerships to be more expensive but I've never tested the theory.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Default A+ for the Jag Shop in Portland, Oregon

Just got my S type out of the Jag Shop on time and on budget! Craig, the owner was excellent and his staff took great care of me and my car. They did the transmission reprogramming (because of the lurch) and added the special fluid to the steering unit to try to quieten down the little noise in the steering column that is annoying. They did it on time and right on target budget wise. Their shop hourly fee is $84 which is very reasonable. They did recommend I have the transmission serviced since it was due at 90K and mine is at almost 97K and has not had it done. He also affirmed that it was OK to run PLUS gas (petrol for you British folks) in the car and that he would never recommend waiting 10K for an oil change, regardless what Jaguar maintenance schedules might say! Craig recommended the typical 3K miles change.

They have been working on Jags for 11 years and have the latest computer technology testing equipment and years of experience. They also can get an extra key fob and key for me well under the dealership price. Again, I was impressed and would take my Jag back there in a heartbeat. They are just west of the I 205 on Burnside. A small non-assuming shop but 1st class in every way. I was impressed. Craig did tell me that the transmission reprogramming might not cure the 'lurch' intirely, but that it should make a significant difference. He said also the steering additive is usually done when a car has closer to 30K's and not 90K's and that it might not quiet the noise entirely and that it would probably take awhile to notice a difference. I really just wanted to be assured that nothing major was wrong with either the transmission or the steering, so I took it in and had them look at it. I at least feel more confident, even if it doesn't dramatically improve either issues. I'm rambling, so I'll shut up now!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:55 PM

OK now I'm mad! Just wrote a reply, clicked Post, and then it tells me I have to fill in some more profile info and my post is gone!

Anyway, thanks for the report Gary.

Hey, what's this "lurch"? Because you remind me of something my X does sometimes. When I first hit the gas (only when the car is cold I think), it sometimes does a kind of a lurch.

Oh and my steering makes a weird noise too! I can only hear it when I'm basically idling (puttering around a parking lot) and there's very little running noise, so it doesn't really bother me... but it's pretty strange.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:05 AM

The Jag Shop changed out my TB and also did the fix of the ABS/Traction Control messages by taking the unit apart and fixing a couple of solder joints. They completed these two separate visits faster than I thought they would. I have not had any problems with either unit since.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Default The 'lurch'

The first time I drove me 03 Stype (just a few weeks ago after i bought it) I noticed that when I slowed and came to a gentle stop, not always, but sometimes, it felt as if I got a little nudge from the rear of the car. Actually, it was the transmission finally shifting down into 1st gear. It's annoying, but nothing real serious from what I have read on the forum. I had read that these transmission do this a lot and having them programmed with the latest updates sometimes helps. So I had the Jag Shop in Portland do this for me last week. It seems a bit better, but didn't heal it. The Jag shop did say my car was over due its 90K transmission service, so that might help the issue as well. I will have it done as soon as I can get an apppointment and get it back up to Portland from Salem. I am anxious to see if this helps the 'lurch' problem. Some guys on the forum says there S types never have stopped lurching, even after several services and attempts. Oh well, I'll just have to live with it, if it prevails after the transmission service.

The steering wheel noise seemed to be coming from inside the steering wheel column inside the car, but the jag mechanic said, although it seemed to be coming from there, the sound was actually being tansferred from the steering column much further down and actually under the hood. They put some steering fluid additive in it, and it helped quite a bit. I think it is still getting it lubed since the wheel has a little bit of a shudder in it now, but that seems to be fading as well. If you do a search of 'the lurch' you can read many posts and leads on the topic.

OK now I'm mad! Just wrote a reply, clicked Post, and then it tells me I have to fill in some more profile info and my post is gone!

Anyway, thanks for the report Gary.

Hey, what's this "lurch"? Because you remind me of something my X does sometimes. When I first hit the gas (only when the car is cold I think), it sometimes does a kind of a lurch.

Oh and my steering makes a weird noise too! I can only hear it when I'm basically idling (puttering around a parking lot) and there's very little running noise, so it doesn't really bother me... but it's pretty strange.