Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 XJ8 Aftermarket shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Tarheal. I think I'll defer to your judgement on this one. The suspension feels dramatically softer so it makes sense that there would be more going on than just the tire change. Appreciate your guidance Tarheal!

Old 08-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Default airshock problem

Has anyone had any experience with the shock conversion kit for a 2004 xj8, which is sold by Black Dog Manufacturing, for around 2600.00 plus labor.
I am either going to do this or replace my rear air shocks (379.00 each) with the Arnott product, and their air compressor kit (397.00)
These are both plus labor, which will be around 300.00 total labor.

I have already replaced the right front shock, the module, and the relay in the past year.
Now, in addition to the 'air suspension fault', I am of late getting the 'vehicle too low' message.'When that last message occurs, my rear end drops way down. This has been occuring for a month or so.
It's hard to find a reliable person in the Ft. Lauderdale area without going thru the dealer, which we all know wants your first born.
The guy I am going to at present has the computer to read the codes, but I'm not sure they know what they are reading. I've learned more about the subject than them, simply coming here and reading the Forum for the past year

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
formworks a.k.a. Charles

Old 11-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Default air suspension ride problems

I replaced my shocks and air compressor on my 2004 Jaguar xj8 and it rides like a Mack truck. I used the Arnott after market shocks. I also replaced the relay. Does anyone know of anything i might have failed to do to cause this rough ride. I don't have the "air suspension fault" light coming on anymore. That's the only good thing so far. I wonder if there is a computer setting I need to do.
HELP, HELP, HELP

Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

if your in "transport mode" the air spring and especially shock are full stiff. Dont ask me how you got it there, or how to change it without dealer help. You have to have either SDD or IDS to put in customer mode if thats the issue. Transport is just that a still raised vehicle to be transported and not damage the car when shipping or tranporting. They come from the factory this way and are changed at the dealer. I dont know whos been working on your car, or even the codes in your system because you havent posted any. Ive driver Motorcars conversion kit and the car ides like any other lux car with coil springs

Old 12-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by formworks
He keeps saying code says it's an ait leak.

Meant to say AIR leak.
Try this to isolate the problem: Locate the airtank and module in the trunk-under your spare tire. Remove(disconnect) the electrical connectors from the Module that the air lines are connected to. Let the car site for an hour or two, and check which side is lower. If you have time, let it sit overnight. I have done this several times, and it always lowered on the leaking side.

Attached Thumbnails '04 XJ8 Aftermarket shocks?-air-tank.jpg  
Old 08-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do I start? My misery started when I shipped my 2004 XJ8 to West Africa. A trip that normally take 3weeks took 21/2 months. By then the battery was drained. Another battery was used to start the car after which I noticed the car was down on the right side. I was compelled to drive the car about 100 miles with the low warning.
I replaced the battery with a brand new one still continue to have the same problem.
These are my questions!
1. Could I manually inflate the shocks?
2.How do I know if the compressor is working or not?
I do not have access to any equipment to read the codes at the moment. At this point what are my choices.
Thank you

The following users liked this post:
Jaguar06 (08-24-2014)
Old 09-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Kyd
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just fishing here... since this post is 3yrs old... I'm quite a novice on JagFourms...I am guessing I should create a brand new post... but need a refresher course on how to do that... my 2004 xj8 had the Air Suspension Fault (ASF) light come on a couple years ago... when the temp dropped in the 40's... tonight it was only 74 and the ASF light came on... then a mile or so, the "Car Too Low" light came on... I drove 3 miles home, garaged the jag and logged on to this site... trying to plan my next move... I noticed the car was a lot lower in the front... wheel wells an inch below tire height... Praying some magic happens overnight and the car returns to proper height...

Anybody have suggestions?

1. Can I drive the car 44 miles to jag shop if it's still low?
2. Car has 48K on her odometer, easy driving always. How long do shocks last?
3. Ditto with the compressor... what is their lifespan?
4. How much would a R&R cost if I need 2 or 4 shocks AND a compressor?

Thanks for any help/suggestions... hoping I will wake up to a response...
Kyd

Last edited by Kyd; 09-28-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Shocks

1. Can I drive the car 44 miles to jag shop if it's still low?
Check if the tires are rubbing on the inner top sections of the wheel well first.

2. Car has 48K on her odometer, easy driving always. How long do shocks last?

The shock’s rubber components will deteriorate over time, causing leaks.

3. Ditto with the compressor... what is their lifespan?

It depends on how often it has to supply air to the air tank—to keep the shocks inflated.

4. How much would a R&R cost if I need 2 or 4 shocks AND a compressor?

Check with ARNOTT INDUSTRIES.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_JAGUAR_yid20_pid136.html

Do not purchase from sites that deal with used parts from damaged autos; components have not been properly tested and may be worn out or in the same condition as yours.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

www.arnottindustries.com

Last edited by arnottdoug; 12-31-2013 at 03:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kyd (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Kyd
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks ArnottDoug... I've been advised by Arnott to take my car to AAmco to have the Air Suspension diagnosed and repaired... about 50% lower cost than the Jag Dealer... So I'm have a 'carrier ' pick the Jag up this morning... And will be buying Arnott's parts... There is a possibility I damaged the line when I hit some road debris the day before my main problem... hoping... cuz insurance will then pick up the tab!!!

Old 02-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Default Fellow 2004 XJ8

I also have a 2004 XJ8 and am from Fort Lauderdale. Unfortunately, I just drove the car to Long Island and had the same problem during the trip. I am having a hard time finding a place here to take it. You should go to Jag Repairs on Dixie Highway in Pompano. Mitch knows his stuff and will treat you fairly

Originally Posted by formworks
I was hoping to hear from someone regarding my recent post. I am about to buy an air compressor next. Not sure if this is the answer though.
"Air suspension fault" keeps coming on even after replacing the right shock, the module, and the relay. Only the right side has ever dropped, and that side only about an inch or less. Hardly notice it. Have to put a tape measure to it to tell.
Certified Jaguar mechanic can't figure it out yet. He keeps saying code says it's an ait leak. That's why I have replaced what I have to date.
Light is never on after sitting overnight. Comes on after I start up and go several miles. Sometime only after a few miles, and other times I might go several miles. Up to 200 or 300 plus miles.

Leaving Sunday for the holidays on a 2500 mile driving trip. Wish me luck!

Formworks
Ft. Lauderdale
Jaguar 2004 xj8