Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best product for cleaning the inside of the rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best product for cleaning the inside of the rims

Hello Everyone -

I am about 2 weeks from taking the car out of storage and I need the clean the inside of the rims the part that collects all the break dust ect.... Last year I had the car detailed and the detailer got his little hands back there and did an ok job. I plan on taking the tires off the car and cleaning the inside of the rims. So if anyone can mention a great cleaning product that will not hurt the chrome let me here it. Thanks

Old 03-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default wheels

Every time I rotate my tires I scrub the wheels inside where you cant get to them when they're on the car. I just use soap and water and a couple of small scrub brushes. Also do the front side and get into the lug nut holes real good.
My neighbors think I am crazy (and also think I have too much free time on my hands) lol.
You can see the difference though when they're on the car.
Chad

Old 03-18-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by chadmc5c
Every time I rotate my tires I scrub the wheels inside where you cant get to them when they're on the car. I just use soap and water and a couple of small scrub brushes. Also do the front side and get into the lug nut holes real good.
My neighbors think I am crazy (and also think I have too much free time on my hands) lol.
You can see the difference though when they're on the car.
Chad
Chad. Thanks for the info. I always use soap and water on the front. The inside is a bit more caked on from brake dust ect..... You mentioned a scrub brush does it leave scratch marks? which kind of scrub brush do you use. Thanks again for the info.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

@sting19 - this really pissed my wife off at the time, but I grabbed the scrub brush from our kitchen sink to clean the inside of my wheels. I believe we had bought it at walmart. It's long, white handled with white/blue plastic bristles. The inside of my stock wheels are painted and it didn't scratch the paint. I'd double check in a small area on your rims first before going whole hogged with the scrub brush.

Rob

Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Default Poorboys World Spray!!

Sting19,

I bought my 2005 S-Type last June. It was in immaculate condition....except that the inside corners of the spoke type wheels had not been taken care of and there was considerable build up of brake dust, road grime etc. My brother is a detail nut and suggested this cleaner. You can get it from www.autogeek.net. It cuts the brake dust very nicely. I also ordered the 16" barrel brush. It reaches back and cleans the inside of your wheel where most people never touch, and combined with the World Spray does an incredible job without taking the wheel off. I bought a gallon last summer and still have half of it left. Hope this helps!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
Old 04-02-2011, 03:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there, I've just done exactly this myself a few weeks ago. Please see my thread here link for some suggestions that you may find useful.

Some of these detailing brushes look great and I'm sure do a good job with the wheels in place......for me though, there's nothing like wheels off and doing it 100%. I do it this way at least once, maybe twice a year and in between wash them thoroughly every time I wash the car and its enough.

For tar spots, brake dust and general grime I tend to use Autoglym tar remover ( what a great product!! ) .......a wipe down with a cloth soaked in petrol with achieve the same results though, followed by a thorough wash with hot soapy water.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by NVMYJAG
+1 I couldn't agree more!

I would also recommend Meguiar's Wheel Brightner or Poly's for cleaning your wheel barrels. If there is any baked on tar specks left after just use some Stoner "Tarminator" to remove the build up. Then wash rims thoroughly with automotive soap and dry. Follow up with your chrome polish of choice.....

Old 05-16-2011, 11:11 PM

I use Protek cleaner. I order gallons on their web site but its real pricey . It works well when you use it weekly with a pressure washer. Not too sure how any cleaner will work after the brake dust has been there for months.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

In my many years of cleaning the inside of the wheels, I have found that soap and water and a simple, cheap toilet bowl brush works extremely well.

Last edited by joycesjag; 05-17-2011 at 05:24 AM. Reason: broken link
Old 05-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Rick...you crack me up....but yeah...the bristles look perfect for the task at hand.

I've had good results with (I don't know what) sorry...it is "Safe for ALL wheels" cleaner in a purple spray bottle at Auto Zane....I think it is their house-brand but not sure....says to spray it on dry, then hose off. Works welll but I've found brushing, particularly on the inside bits speeds the process along.

I bought it 'cuz it uz cheap....ducked into the Zone the other evening for a can of MAF cleaner "CRC" and the card directly under the Maguiar's ALL wheel hot rims cleaner said, "2 for $8" whilst the purple stuff was up to $5.99 for same size...OK...greater name, I'll try it. Got to check out and my $8 of wheel cleaner and $3.99 MAF cleaner rang up $21.99..."Wha.....?" Turns out even thought the placard was directly in front of the "All Wheels" hot rims it dinna really mean that...it was the ONE flavor not included...and furthermore...the cans/placards on the MAF shelf were mismatched and that was REALLY $6.99......I punted the Meguair's (heck..the purple stuff's cheaper and I KNOW it works) b/c I had 'bout 1/2 bottle left...I'll wait for a sale.