Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coventry Whitley Wheels - Replacement Hex Socket Bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 09:42 PM
Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Coventry Whitley Wheels - Replacement Hex Socket Bolts?

I've got a set of Coventry Whitley wheels on my XKR - really like them, and I think they look great. They are about 10 years old, and still in great condition except the plating on the hex socket bolts is peeling off. I believe these are fake plastic bolts (to give a 'spilt rim' look, but am not 100% certain without trying to remove one.

Does anyone know whether these can be replaced? I'd try removing one, but suspect that I might destroy it (if it's glued in rather than threaded), which would make the situation worse. Does anyone know if these are threaded and can be removed or replaced?

I was going to email Coventry wheels to ask (I'd even pay for replacement bolts), but don't see any email address on their web site. Also, if they are plastic I'd probably prefer to replace with stainless.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Old 05-11-2022, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 2,389 Posts

I had Coventry Whitleys on my old XFR and I seem to recall someone else asking the same question a few years ago with the answer being those "bolts" are fake/plastic.
For that reason I never tried undoing one to check.
But I'm going by my admittedly crap memory here so there is a good chance I am completely wrong!

Old 05-12-2022, 06:21 AM
Received 4,317 Likes on 3,731 Posts

Hmmmm - I noticed the peeling yesterday on my Whitley's when I was checking my tire pressures. Would be nice to know if fake or not. Will try to do some digging as well for an answer

Old 05-12-2022, 10:58 AM
Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

I did some more investigation. It definitely appears that there are 'fake' bolts available - in multiple different styles, finishes and sizes:

Amazon Amazon
(link to RhinoTuning Store at Amazon)

However, who is going to to be the brave soul who removes one from their Whitleys to see if they can be removed, and there's an available replacement? I did take a look this morning - unfortunately you can't get a clean 'grip' with pliers on the Whitley, because the "bolts" are each in a recess. I suspect that putting a screw into each one would be the best way to remove, but clearly destroys it...

I wonder if anyone has a wheel they'd damaged they'd be prepared to test on?!

-Steve