Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Primacy 225-60X16

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Default Michelin Primacy 225-60X16

I'm a Michelin "Fan-boy." There! Full Disclosure out of the way and I feel better!

I've had my share of tire disappointments on a variety of cars/trucks/SUV's. I've been sorely disappointed by the following: Goodyear(x2! Wrangler radials and Eagle GT's,) Goodrich (coulda said, "Good*") Firestone, Cooper. I had a set of Kuhmo's (non-descript pax car/van tire) on mini-van transferred to Gr. Marquis that did not disappoint, but wasn't exceptional either.

However, I've worn out a set of Michelin's (can't recall name-sporty-sedan tire) using an 86 Buick Century T-Type, another set (Symmetry) with a Windstar Mini-van, and a third (LTX M/S) with my Excursion. All three sets far exceeded my expectations with respect to wear, noise, ride, and handling. I'm currently running LTX M/S on the Excursion and F150, both with about 2 yrs since install (Ouch! 2008 was a rough year!) Pilot Sport A/S on an S-Type - a year old or better but not many miles, and Pilot Sport A/S Plus on the other S-Type < 1 yr but probably more miles than the sister-car.

Therefore, though I flirted with cheaper solutions from companies that haven't let me down (Yokohama, Khumo, Pirelli) when the Pirelli P4000's that were on my XJ6 when I purchased it started to go....I guess it wasn't really a fair and level playing field. Mich's always had an inside edge...but it was still difficult to choose amongst the many models offered in a 225-60X16. My research convinced me that the Hydroedge may be the closest thing Michelin offers to a rubbish tire, and it was my first pick when I started looking a couple of months ago. Lots of complaints out there on them about poor wear, noise, and roughness. I finally settled on the Primacy as my target, even though the Pilot Sport A/S plus was near the same price and I have some experience with them. All things being equal, I'd prefer a non-directional tread. Besides, the VDP is my daily-commuter, averaging 74 miles per calendar day (101 mi round trip to work but it doesn't get as much use on wkends) so my primary interests are wear, quietness, comfort and only then "handling and performance."

OK target settled, I kept one keen eye on the interweb for a deal and the other on the one balding Pirelli that was driving timeline. Last week I found the H-rated version here for $121 ea:
Michelin Primacy MXV4 225/60R-16 98V RRBL | 2DayParts.com

here for $128 ea:
Michelin Primacy MXV4

and here for $148 ea but with a "found it cheaper?" button:
Discount Tire, Custom Wheels, Truck & Car Rims | Discount Tire

So I clicked the button and populated the form. A couple of hours later I rec'd a call from a gentlemen, "Mr. Here-now" representing their outlet nearest my workplace suggesting he would attempt to match the price on the "Michelin Symmetries you are interested in..." No no no! "Primacy, I have no interest in the Symmetry.." "Oh? I thought that's what you found a better price on?"
"I very likely could, but I'd be wasting my time, I want the Primacy..it is $121 ea. for H-rated and you are $148...what can you do?"
"I could go $119 putting you out the door with mounting, balance, taxes and on the car for $592 but I don't have stock and it may be Friday before I can get them here, would that be ok?"
Note to Discount Tire shoppers, Mr. Here-Now did not bother me with a bunch of rubbish about "we figure shipping from webber'z into our price match and blah, blahhddy-blah." A clear, concise price/ea. and total for all services rendered, to the point of drive-away.
"I'll take it, make it so, you need CC info to order?"
"No. I'm good I'll call you when they get here..."
"About that....Friday no-good for me, I'll be working at another of our locations that day which is not near you atall...let's do Monday? Giving you more time..."
"Monday's even better, the Michelin Promotion for a $70 gift card they are running with select shops starts with us on Monday."
"I'd seen that on the web and was about to ask you why you guys weren't playing...."

Friday mid morning I got a call from Mr. Here-Now announcing he had eyes-on my new tires in his shop and was looking forward to seeing me on Monday. Very well.

As related elsewhere on the board, I took the car out of service that weekend to facilitate other maintenance that extended well-beyond projected completion so I pulled the tires/wheels off Sunday night and tossed 'em in the pickup, thus saving DT some labor, and negating the need to catch two rides from a friend at work who "wants to throw a tire through the DT window...."

I gain on-deck status in the queue 10 min prior to scheduled appointment and announce myself to the staff and inquire about Mr. Here-Now. Mr. HereToday informs me Mr. HereNow isn't here, now, and neither is he really Mr. HereNow but rather Mr. OffToday but allows as how he, Mr. HereToday is more than ready, willing and able to help: "Let's see, Mr. FelloffTurnipTruckinOurLot, I have you down for a set of 4 Michelin Primacy's in a 225-60X16 on a Jaaag coming to $878something more incl. road-hazard, correct?"
"No, no, nonononooooo! Tha's not correct atall! Mr. OffToday and I never discussed the road hazard guarantee at all and I thus assumed not included. We did, however discuss price-matching 2Dayparts.com and agreed on $119 ea. for an out-the-doe of $592! Now what you just ejaculated sounds to me for all the world like your $148/ea price but if you wanna drop that road hazard and come to $592 all is well...."
The ensuing 10 mins consisted of various versions of Mr. HereToday alternating between telling me how they do price-matching with accounting for shipping costs and how 2dayparts doesn't even carry Mich's (thank God for DroidDoes, I immediately yanked THAT rug from under him) and how Mr. OffToday must not know their price-match policy interspersed with me somewhat rudely interrupting him and cutting him off with "Are you going to honor the deal proferred by Mr. OffToday that I made financial decisions on or do I need to leave?" at which point he'd immediately reassure me that "of course" our deal still on...and then back to the discussion that sounded for all the world like it wasn't....along the way, I established that while 2day may be out of stock Today, they had 21 the day I made the decision and if Mr. HereToday had been Mr. HereThen I'd have 4 of 2day's 21 on my car already. I further pointed out that I'd already saved him the labor of putting the car on the lift and R&R'ing the tire/wheel assys, notwithstanding removing the cloud of worry over what becomes of the Jag center-cap growlers (safely tucked in a file-drawer at home)
So we finally agreed to unload them for processing and that he'd get the deal done before 3 pm at the price agreed to by Mr. OffToday.

I returned after 5 pm and Mr. StandingByThatMorning got my receipt and advised me which door to reverse to for loading. I meantioned my previously announced intent to retain the "best 2" takeoffs..."oooh! right...do you happen to know what they were?"
"Pirelli P4000's, one's bald in the middle, don't want that, pick the best 2 of other 3"
It took Mr. StadingByThatMorning about 15 mins to locate and load my Pirelli's but retaining those saved me some disposal $ and brought the total down to $585.76. Fortunately from my side, Mr. HereToday nowhere to be seen.

Well, there you have it. I was initially ecstatic with my deal and with Discount Tire's responsiveness and flexibility. After meeting Mr. HereToday....meh...not so much. From my perspective, even if Mr. HereNow screwed-up and offered a better-than-policy-guidance deal, that is not a problem you antagonize your customer (certainly not one that recently bought 18" PilotSport A/S +'s and 17" LTX M/S's sets from you) with. You pull Mr.WhenHeReturns aside and retrain him on policy or flog him with the cane or whatever. For the customer's consumption, you smile broadly and tell him he is such a valued customer that he got "very special pricing" not available to most....

So I sang their praises all weekend, but have been mute after meeting Mr HereToday.

The Tires???? huh....? oh yeah!!! only a coupla hundred miles so far...but THEY'RE GRrrrEAT!!! (channelling Tony-the-Tiger) Quiet, smooth, comfy and waaaay better grip than the worn-out Pirellis. (records indicate they lasted about 37k mi. btw)

I initially imagined going the V-rated route but convinced myself the only real difference was compound of construction and the H was prone to wear better and have a softer sidewall for greater comfort at the expense of some handling. Decided all the differences favored the H in my application even though the OEM launched it with V's.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

having lost the plot ...

... one has to wonder if Mr. OffToday and Mr. HereToday are part of the BaitAndBump family. Mr. OffToday is never there, he only works the phones and Mr. HereToday only works the customers that Mr. OffToday has already given price matches to.

Maybe that's why Mr. OffToday was fine with no CC processing. At that point it would have been a done deal with no room for movement.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by plums
having lost the plot ...
Hehe..he..yeah, I know it is rambling and disjointed, but the Exec. Summary makes no sense:

"I got exactly the tires I wanted from a shop very conveniently located, mounted and balanced at the agreed time and for roughly 3/4 the cost I originally expected. Naturally, I'll probably never shop there again."