Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise and odd tread block wear/failure - what causes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise and odd tread block wear/failure - what causes?

My S Type R (new to me) has a set of 30% remaining rear, and 80-90% remaining Continental Sport Contact 2 tires.

The fronts have significant low speed noise, and in looking closely at them I can see for instance one tread block which is lower than the rest - it does not pick up dirt like the rest, which allows you to find it and look closely to see that it is lower. There is no cupping or any other odd type of tire wear, and there is LOTS of meat on these tires - I would have blamed the rear, but everything in driving/breaking points to the front tires, and I found this 'low spot' today.
What causes this kind of 'failure'?
I don't imaging there is anything to be done about it?
The tires perform otherwise normal, and it is not noticeable above 30mph.
Pete

Old 04-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

take a pic, not sure w/o looking at it.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:22 AM
Default tire

Here are two photos, the same tire, same location, one shows how the block is not in contact by the colour of dirt picked up, the other if you look closely you can see how it is low.

Attached Thumbnails Noise and odd tread block wear/failure - what causes?-jag-tire-1.jpg   Noise and odd tread block wear/failure - what causes?-jag-tire-2.jpg  

Last edited by H20boy; 04-12-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Well, I'll tell you what normally happens on the inside edge of tires, but its typically every-other-block, not just one out of a group...is feathering, caused by too much toe out. Now, I reiterate, odd that just one 'block' is doing that.

Documented well around these forums, the s-types, XJs and XKs are very sensitive to poor toe adjustments. In fact, the s-types have a number of very recent alignment threads with newer alignment specs issued by jaguar that do not match the original ones released.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Default odd

I agree odd, if all were feathered, or a few scattered around, I'm going to look for more like this one.
Pete

Old 04-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Default suggests front end work

Went and saw a Continental dealer.
I agree that some cupping is evident on all the blocks, but I find the significantly lower one or two is more what is odd.
If the toe is out - or even unstable like maby a bad tie rod end, I can't imaging how there would not be these 'low blocks' all over or randomly distributed around the tire.
The care is quite, and tracks very well. The only ODD thing I notice - and have not tried it alot - is that if I push it on an highway ramp curve, I get a 'chuckle' kick back in the steering wheel.
I am going to look closely at the tie rod ends and if ok, check the toe in based on the 'latest' specs, saw these posted which looks like +.1 degree (1.5-2mm) looks like the changes were to eliminate ANY toe out.
PEte

Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Default Alignment ok

Toe is basically very close to within the revised spec.
.05 deg out drivers side (a number this small is likely tolerance of error, and certainly not going to cause feathering).
Pass side was toe in .11 degree.
So it is possible the tire damage was done previous to alignment work - remember this car is new to me, and It came with the winter tires on it. There do not look like any new parts in the front end, and all is tight and good.

Pete

Old 04-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Default Suspect it is the tires in general contitact?

Well I just went to see a pair of used contitactproII identical size to mine, and co-incidently with lots of tread remaining.
Upon a close look, these tires had the exact same symptoms, very mild feathering, but definitely the same 'low spots' on the inside area of the tread. You run your fingers carefully around the tire, all feels good, until whoops is that a dip, and yes sure enough it is.

I am very suspicious that Continental had a problem, what I saw in these other tires was just too similar to what I see of mine. These had been on an Audi. I passed.

Pete