Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vanden Plas Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vanden Plas Squeaking

I just bought a 2001 VDP (111000km) and I love it! When I purchased it, the only known work it required was a new front right wheel bearing, which I had replaced earlier this week. However, after driving along yesterday with the windows down I began to hear a semi-faint squeaking sound, similar to a bird chirping, coming from underneath the front of the car (I think) when driving over bumps (large and small) at any speed. I cannot hear it with the windows up. When sitting in the driveway, I experimented by pushing the front end up and down, but I heard nothing. I believe it had some bushings replaced around 30000km ago. So, what could this squeaking be? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by pezzonovante88; 10-08-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Additional information missed in original post.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Squeak over bumps

I have a 2001 VDP and I have hearing loss from 53 years of earth-existence. If I can hear a squeak the world hears it. I picked up a rear end squeak / rattle over slight bumps. IT'S THE HANGER FOR THE MUFFLERS.

There is a rubber boot that suspends the left and right muffler just under the bumper on each side. Look for the black rubber holder.

Lie under the back end and lift/thrust the muffler upward and you will hear the thump/squeak noise close-up.

Shoot it with my new best friend for my 2001 JAG -- WHITE LITHIUM GREASE.

Seriously, the squeak is the muffler hanger on both sides and you need to hit it once an oil change (5k miles).

It also works for the SCREECHING breaks ... if your pads are good and you get high pitch noise (that only your wife can hear) spray the brake pads/cylinder once a week (with every serious waxing).

I have saved a marriage to my wife and car with this action!

Old 10-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed on the assessment, my 97 VDP did the same thing and the hangers were the culprit. Nice to know it's not something major, isn't it? [smile]