X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 X-Type: oil light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2003 X-Type: oil light blinking

Thank you guys. I have a problem now with my cat. I started in the morning and runs perfect,everything normal. But after a while, when is warm or hot my oil light comes start blinking when I stop and goes off when I start moving again. I changed the oil recently. Have been doing this for a week and just at low rpm or when is idle and only when is hot. The temperature is normal and oil level is normal. I just bought a new oil pressure switch and new oil filter,Mann filter. Can somebody tell me something about my problem. I'm sorry if my English is not good. Is not my native language. I'm from Cuba.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I've moved this question from the end of your Intro to the X-Type tech section.

Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 02-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Without a direct reading on actual oil pressure, I have no way to know if there is actually a problem or not.

Clearly, oil pressure is lower at idle. That's normal. Most vehicles will maintain 30PSI or more oil pressure at idle, when hot. A typical oil pressure switch probably closes the contacts at 7PSI or some other very low number. Not sure on the exact specification of the unit on the Jag.

It's possible you have a faulty switch

It's also possible you have the wrong viscosity oil.

It's possible the filter is too restrictive.

And, of course, it's also possible you actually have low oil pressure due to some mechanical problem.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same exact problem with my X. There was a little amount of oil in the switch. Changed the switch and it went away. A big pain to get to it and very little space.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:20 AM

Thank you Cujet. I think that it can be or either the switch or wrong viscosity. Also the filter. I hope you are right. This started happening like 4 days after i changed the oil. Now I bought a new switch and new filter. The mechanic told me that he have to remove the filter to get to the switch. So,I have to change the oil again. I was reading about the type of oil that Jag use and it says API SJ. Can you tell me what oil is that one and what brand or kind of oil I can find that specification and the viscosity, 5W-40 or 10W-40. Do you think that Castrol Edge is fine? I'm using synthetic oil since I bought my cat, but I don't know the viscosity in the oil that the mechanic put in my cat. It have now 139687 miles and it runs normal.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Danomar200
Thank you Cujet. I think that it can be or either the switch or wrong viscosity. Also the filter. I hope you are right. This started happening like 4 days after i changed the oil. Now I bought a new switch and new filter. The mechanic told me that he have to remove the filter to get to the switch. So,I have to change the oil again. I was reading about the type of oil that Jag use and it says API SJ. Can you tell me what oil is that one and what brand or kind of oil I can find that specification and the viscosity, 5W-40 or 10W-40. Do you think that Castrol Edge is fine? I'm using synthetic oil since I bought my cat, but I don't know the viscosity in the oil that the mechanic put in my cat. It have now 139687 miles and it runs normal.
The original oil for my car was specified as 5W-30. I had one UOA (used oil analysis) performed on this viscosity, with fairly high wear metals showing.

I then switched to Mobil 1, 5W-40 TDT Turbo Diesel Truck, which is a very robust oil, with a high TBN. (total base number) (means it combats acids very well) This oil is excellent for extended drain intervals on automotive engines due to the high TBN. I currently use this oil and the UOA wear metal results are less than half what I was seeing before! Clearly, here in South Florida, a robust oil performs very well in the Jag.

It also runs a touch smoother with the TDT oil. But, you must remember, the temperatures here in South FL are often 100 degrees on the highway blacktop between April and October. (I drive my convertible in the winter) TDT is a touch thicker when hot, as compared to the original oil. The HTHS of TDT is 3.8, a very comfortable viscosity at 150 degrees C.

Yes, Castrol Edge is fine. As is nearly any quality oil.

But, make sure to change the switch. That's cheap troubleshooting.

Last edited by cujet; 02-05-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:59 AM

I fix the problem with the switch. Now everything is back to normal. Now,I'm trying to buy a new wheel but in some places says that the number is 59711 and other says 59828. Wich one is the correct? Or both.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:19 PM

Recently I went to a transmission repair shop just to ask how to keep my tranny working properly. The mechanic told me to keep it full, same with the differential. To have the fluid level check. But another one told me to change the fluids in tranny, transfer case and differential.
Are the tranny and transfer case the same or 2 different parts? If they are the same, what kind of fluid is the right one? If not, Wich is the right one in each part and levels? And, how I change the differential fluid and what type of fluid and how much?