Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[HELP] Reverse Light Wire Identification - Jaguar X-Type 2001

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default [HELP] Reverse Light Wire Identification - Jaguar X-Type 2001

Hello,

I am new to this forums, thus, I apologise if I am breaking or not adjusting to any rules, please point this out if i have in any way, and I will rectify this immediately.

I wanted to kindly ask for some assistance please, regarding which wires are which from the pictures I have uploaded above in this thread, and hopefully you amazing professionals can help me out in a big way to identify regarding my query below.

Okay, lets get started, I want to fit a reverse camera to my car (when you put the car into reverse, the camera allows you to see the back), I was looking at the AutoVox range from Amazon UK, and found a few I like this one in particular:

(Kindly remove the SPACE after the word "amazon" to enable link)

amazon .co.uk/AUTO-VOX-Digital-Wireless-Reversing-Waterproof/dp/B08KW11THM/ref=sr_1_21?keywords=reverse+camera+car&qid=164832 3707&refinements=p_72%3A419153031%2Cp_89%3AAUTO-VOX&rnid=1632651031&s=electronics&sr=1-21

It's a wireless setup, meaning no wires through the front of the car for the LCD screen, the only issue is setting up the camera to the reverse light, I am no expert, but I have taken a look behind the CD changer, and found the connector as outlined in the pictures above, what they say is, I would need to connect the positive wire to the reverse light wire, and the ground cable to the ground wire on the light.

In this instance, I literally have no idea what wire is what, and nor would I have any clue as to check them, hence why I would like for those who own this vehicle to please help me identify the 2 wires I would need to use in order to connect the reverse camera cables onto, I looked at T-Tap connectors, this would only require a pliers to join everything together, thus, I would not actually mess anything up as a precaution.

Can I use any T-TAP connectors, or is there a certain or specific colour I would need for both wires?
(Red - Connector 0.25mm˛ - 1.5mm˛ / Conductor 9/0.30mm - 14/0.30mm)
(Blue - Connector 1.1mm˛ - 2.5mm˛ / Conductor 21/0.30mm - 35/0.30mm)
(Yellow - Connector 2.7mm˛ - 6.0mm˛ / Conductor 44/0.30mm - 65/0.30mm)

Which of the wires in the pictures I have attached is the following: (Please could you use my picture then edit it and label the correct wire for the reverse light and the ground wire)

1) Reverse light wire?

2) Ground wire? (Is this the thick black one?)

I would really like for someone to please help me in regards to this, I would greatly appreciate any assistance, as I am keen and wanting to learn to do this kind of car work for any future DIY jobs or fixings that I can identify myself, by using this forums as my go to for all things related to my Jaguar. :-).

Please do kindly let me know.

Thank you
Best Regards,

Thomas

CAR DETAILS = Jaguar X-type 2001 (51 reg) 3.0 V6 SE AWD 4Door
PICTURES BELOW:

Connector to the rear left light

Connector to the rear left light 2

Connector to the rear left light 3

My jag

My Jag 2

Old 03-26-2022, 04:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Thomas, you are wanting the green wire with a black stripe on it. That is the positive wire for the reverse lights. As for your ground, I would run a dedicated ground wire over to one of the ground points in your trunk area.

As for tapping into the green/black wire, can you use the T-Tap connectors, sure. My experience with those connectors is they are good right up until you get them wet, then they start giving you al sorts of issues because of corroding wires and whatnot. Being in the trunk, you should be good.

If you more assistance, let me know and we will get you taken care of.

The following users liked this post:
tomejones1212 (03-29-2022)
Old 03-27-2022, 04:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,866 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by tomejones1212
I am new to this forums .....
Welcome to the forums Thomas,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X-Type forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 03-27-2022, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Thomas, you are wanting the green wire with a black stripe on it. That is the positive wire for the reverse lights. As for your ground, I would run a dedicated ground wire over to one of the ground points in your trunk area.

As for tapping into the green/black wire, can you use the T-Tap connectors, sure. My experience with those connectors is they are good right up until you get them wet, then they start giving you al sorts of issues because of corroding wires and whatnot. Being in the trunk, you should be good.

If you more assistance, let me know and we will get you taken care of.
Hello,

Thank you for kindly replying in regards to this, I truly appreciate your superb assistance .

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the very late reply provided, I have been at work, and have just arrived home.

Secondly, that's excellent (you've made me happy :-) ), thank you for kindly identifying the reverse light wire for me, just to double check, I have outlined it in the following picture, and checked the car again with more lighting and can see its this wire green with black line on it:

Wire Confirmation

I have also managed to find the quite a few ground points in the trunk, two by the spare wheel arch, and a few more located near the CD changer, I double checked the models electrical guide online to make sure those were the ground points:

x type 2001 2002 electrical guide.pdf (en.jaguar-club. net/manual_download.php?id=323)

Thus, I am comfortable knowing what is in the car, and where its all located.

I have ordered the T-Taps, (red ones as the gauge of the wire is pretty thin, so it will be perfect for me to add and extra wire to that reverse light wire, regarding if it got wet, should I tape the T-Tap after its been connected, with electrical tape to ensure it stays dry, my trunk never gets wet inside, and no water drips or leaks into it, the upholstery is all intact and as never really been lifted off from the cars body, I can add some precautionary by taping it further, so that it remains dry, kindly let me know if this will be okay, or what I should use if there is better tape that electrical for this, I would greatly appreciate this, as your teaching me which I enjoy learning about :-).

I have also ordered a ground ring, to attach to the negative wire of the reverse camera, this way I can securely crimp it on, then add it to the ground location point in the trunk of the car, and secure it with a nut, so it remains fully secured, and wont wobble out of place.

Whilst I wait for the parts, I will be checking where to mount the camera, I cant mount it above the plate, as I would be unable to drill a hole, and I don't think I would like to, as It would not be appropriate. I found a way to secure the camera, the underside of the trunk lid, the lip where the lock is, I can sit it flush with adhesive, so the wore also sits snugly inside the rubber concealed out of view. So anytime the trunk is opened, the camera would not be raised up, nor would the wires as the it would sit just below the opening point. (I hope this makes sense, if not, then I apologies, I may need to learn the gist of key words later ;-) )

I'll keep you updated with regards to this, once everything arrives, I'll give ample time to double check everything then start and hopefully finish the installation. I'll have the ignition and car off completely, just unlocked, so that its safe for me to splice into the wire, and set it all up, once completed, I'll power the car on, see that the camera power on, check the reverse lights still turns on etc, then finally see it the display turns on when in reverse mode, just want to make sure I get everything correct first time round, if not and I run into any issues, I will reply back, regardless, and update everything to make sure I am on the right path of things.

Thank you once again, I'll message back once I have all the parts, and I am ready to start the process of installation. :-)

Thank you
Kind Regards,

Thomas

Old 03-27-2022, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forums Thomas,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X-Type forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham
Hello,

Thank you for kindly updating my thread for me, I apologise for it being posted up in the incorrect area on this superb forum, I am now a full member and will enjoy this for many years to come :-).

I will, be posting up an quick intro post now, to make sure I have indicated I am a new member, and am here to stay and interact with everyone, thank you once again for kindly welcoming me to this forum, and for pointing me to the correct direction, I appreciate this very much :-).

Thank you
Kind Regards,

Thomas

GGG (03-27-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

Thomas, yes, that is the correct wire. Sounds like you have things under control and are trying to do things the proper way. If you need anything more, just let me know and we can go from there.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Thomas, yes, that is the correct wire. Sounds like you have things under control and are trying to do things the proper way. If you need anything more, just let me know and we can go from there.

Hello Chris,

Apologies for the very late reply, I have now got all the parts and camera here today, they arrived late due to postal delays at my sorting office, thus, its taken a week longer overall for everything to arrive.

But, finally now all here, I will start this tomorrow on my day off, in the meantime I have already got the main leads crimped (not connected), but set up so that all I really need to do is just attach the T-Tap on, then insert the male connector, I will then have a tedious time figuring out where to place the camera, as it stands I honestly dont have any room, the number plate is attached with adhesive, and I dont really want to drill any holes into the body, although I had an idea, I could remove the boot button section (the bar where JAGUAR is written on in chrome), then try to insert the camera wire through the already body hole of the number plate light, although having looked online, it looks kind of hard to take off (I really would not want to run into or break anything on this car :/).

I'll take some time to think, placing the camera underside the boot lip, would not be ideal, placing it above would cause issues with the police, as it would cover up some instances of the plate lettering, and also an exposed wire, in which someone could take off with the camera entirely d'oh.

So, Ill be open to any good suggestions, otherwise, I can ponder a bit more about placing it through the plate light section. :-/

I'll update this thread with more pictures and updates through this week :-). It's a good learning curve, and to put my thinking cap on :-)

Thank you
Kind Regards,

Thomas

Old 04-04-2022, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

THomas, I am getting a little rusty when it comes to where some of the secret holes are as I haven't had an X-Type in over 7 years. Wish I had one close to me to put my hands on and refreshen some of my memories about the car. I was thinking you could loosen a tail light and run the wire through that area. That way the tail light would hold the wire in place and once you are under the bumper, then you have a few options at that point.

tomejones1212 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 10:28 AM

Hello Chris,

I apologies for the very late reply, as an update. I have now finally managed to install the camera, I found an entry point but only when I realised the Jaguar chrome bar was slightly off on the right, when I gently pried the connections away I looked, and could see one of the clasps that hold the bar in place was missing, and there was something (like rubber) holding it in place, kind of odd I did not realise this before, as the gap between the bar and the car was ever so thin, so unnoticeable, until I got really close with the camera installation.

I used that to my advantage, I have ordered a new clasp so that I can amend it back, but in the meantime, I have used the larger hole to hide the wire through and into, then pushed the remainder of the wire under the chrome bar, thus, not effecting anything in the process, the camera sits flush just above the plate, not effecting its view either, so no need for me to take off and re-adjust it either.(relief)

I have taken pictures, to show all this, thus I will make a proper thread update and apply all images so my experience can also help others, this of course is all thank to you Chris, without your superb input, I'd have honestly struggled. (Thank you Chris :-) )

I'm now in the process of replacing the front bulbs, all four of them, then to polish up the headlight casings, as they look rather dull, I'm already doing a few things here and there, wiper blades as well (got the Bosch ones too), boot struts (currently looking for the Jaguar ones), so this will keep me busy, I am going to look after this car, its immaculate, and will learn a lot of things along the way. Hopefully when I am more confident with the bigger things, I'll start doing some serious upgrades, just to modernise the car a bit, to make it easy in terms of driving and safety :-).

I will update this thread on the weekend, I am off work, so I will have plenty of time to get this completed, then start my next small project(s). (I'll be on this forum for a long time down the years, best place to be to learn a lot about a car you adore, and look after).

Thank you
Kind Regards,

Thomas

Old 04-11-2022, 10:53 AM
Veteran member

Thomas, do not be in a rush to do the headlights. Can you reach in and grab the bulb without removing the headlight assemblies. Yes. Are you likely to break something in the process? Most likely. What we have found is the plastic gets brittle with the years. So, you be a little too aggressive with the headlight bulb, you will break these posts. Then you have a big mess on your hands. So, remove the bumper cover and then remove the headlight assembly to do the bulbs.