X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02' Jaguar X-Type Codes help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02' Jaguar X-Type Codes help!

I have a 2002 jaguar X-Type. V6 2.5L automatic. 114,000 miles on it. At higher speeds probably around 45mph and up it starts to jerk a lot when accelerating and the check engine light comes on and an orange light blinks and says "Cruise Control Not Available". If I let off the gas it doesnt jerk and i can slowly accelerate.And it does seem like it has a loss of power in general. I recently replaced the battery and spark plugs on it. I got the codes checked on it and here they are. P1796, P1111, P1316, P1314, P0171. I've read some stuff on this problem and some people said that the PCV hose gets a crack in it so to check that first. I checked that and its fine. Does this seem like its a vacuum leak, if so what hoses should I check? Other people say it could be the MAF sensor? Or could it be something more serious? Id appreciate any help thanks!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Dremanti, based on the codes you are getting, you have either a battery that is failing (yes, I know it is new, but get it load checked anyways) or you have multiple issues.

As for the P1316 and P1314, those are telling me that you are having misfire issues with the vehicle. Granted, with these codes, you should be getting a P030X (where X is a number between 0 and 6) code too. Just to ask a silly question, but when you got the new plugs, did you just toss them in or did you check the gap on the plugs? If you just tossed the plugs in, you may find that the gap is not right and that is leading to your stumbling issue. Granted, I would also recommend taking a look at the tops of all your COPs (individual coils for each cylinder) and see if any of them have a crack in the top of the COP. If you see a white line, that COP is suspect and recommend changing the COP out.

As for the P0171 code, that is a minor intake leak on Bank 1. Normally when we see this, it is either the PCV hose (already checked that), the IMT valve o-ring failing, or the brake booster hose. Based on just doing the plugs, I would be leaning towards the brake booster hose (check for a crack in the bulb in the center of the line). After that, spend the $3-8 per IMT o-ring at the local dealership and replace those. Replacing them is really easy. If you need help, let me know.

As for the P1796 code, this is the one that scares me. That is essentially saying that the TCM can not talk with the other computer systems in the car reliably. This may be what is leading to your issues. This can be caused by a loose connector,but it can also be caused by a failing TCM. Granted, if the battery is creating havoc, it can cause the TCM to be fussy and cause this code too and also the misfires, and ....... Fix the other issues and see if by chance the TCM code goes away.

Cleaning the MAF sensor is not a bad idea. It is easy to do and cheap to do too. Go ahead and do that to see if anything changes.

let me know how things go.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
Dremanti (12-08-2012), JimC64 (12-06-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 AM

Alright, thanks that gives me a lot to look into. I didn't change the sparkplugs my self so I didn't check the gaps in them. I was having some problems with misfiring before and that's when I got the sparkplugs changed and that stopped the misfiring, and someone just mentioned to me that i never cleared the codes after I did that. So some of these codes may be from before, so as soon as I can i will get the codes cleared and then read again so I know for sure what I need to look into.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:00 AM

I have a friend that's going to help me look for some vacuum leaks, since I'm not too mechanically inclined. I know where the PCV hose is and the the brake booster hose is, but I dont know where the IMT valve o-ring is. Could you try and explain where I can find it? And another thing I forgot to mention is that the problem seems to happen more often when I just start the car and drive, once its been warmed up for 10-20 minutes it doesnt seem to happen as much. But it still does happen. Once I get the codes read again I'll post them, and thanks for your help.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Dremanti, open the hood of your car and stand with your feet near the front passenger tire, looking into the engine bay. Right in front of you will be two 4" black circles on the side of the intake (big silver piece running across the top of the engine). Those black circles are the IMT valves. Remove the 2 bolts holding them in place and you will see the o-rings appear. Even you can change these. They are really a very simple thing to change.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 AM

Okay, ya I see them. Been sorta busy lately but I'm gonna try and replace those and get the codes cleared. When I do I'll let ya know how it goes.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey I had the same problem _ I changed the o-rings & the problem gone - if u have 02 that means you have the old yellow o-rings on - jaguar recalled those & up graded them to a much thicker green ones - you can buy them from Napa - eBay - or dealership - I did a video on how to replace them -

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (01-04-2013)