Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 X-type buy question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Default 02 X-type buy question

A friend's mother is looking for a car and we stumbled on a good priced 02 X-type 2.5 with 129k on it. Are their any particular problems with that models or anything to specially look for to see if it is a solid car. She will drive in the city about 350 miles a month, maybe 10% on the freeway.

Thanks

Tom in Dallas/Plano

Old 11-18-2014, 02:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

jazz, with the X-Type, the big thing that you need to ask is how she drives. If she is wanting a sports car to zoom light to light, then the X-Type is NOT!!! for her. If she wants a nice ride, then yes, the X-Type is for her. The big problem with the X-Type is the transfer case is the weak link. SO, if you are hard on the gas off the line, the transfer case has the potential to fail more quickly than one would expect. Accelerate at a normal rate and all is good for a long, long time.

The other problem that I would be looking for is signs of body rust in the door jam area and at the base of the windshield (as I recall). Some cars have an issue with these areas, others don't show a single sign. If you see rust in these areas, then I would run away from that car regardless of what they are trying to sell the car for. The areas that rust are major structural parts of the car and repairing these is very expensive.

The rest of the problems that these cars suffer from are minor things and with the help of the members here, we can solve those in a very little time normally.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
jazz, with the X-Type, the big thing that you need to ask is how she drives. If she is wanting a sports car to zoom light to light, then the X-Type is NOT!!! for her. If she wants a nice ride, then yes, the X-Type is for her. The big problem with the X-Type is the transfer case is the weak link. SO, if you are hard on the gas off the line, the transfer case has the potential to fail more quickly than one would expect. Accelerate at a normal rate and all is good for a long, long time.

The other problem that I would be looking for is signs of body rust in the door jam area and at the base of the windshield (as I recall). Some cars have an issue with these areas, others don't show a single sign. If you see rust in these areas, then I would run away from that car regardless of what they are trying to sell the car for. The areas that rust are major structural parts of the car and repairing these is very expensive.

The rest of the problems that these cars suffer from are minor things and with the help of the members here, we can solve those in a very little time normally.
Thanks- no she is an active 78 year old woman and had an Elantra until it gave up the ghost. I think this is a solid car for someone that dives about 5o-60 miles a week. Just wanted to know the common problems associated with.

Take care

Tom in Dallas/Plano