Sponsored by:

02 X-type CC "Cruise Not Available"

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 X-type CC "Cruise Not Available"

Hello,
Long time reader, First time poster.
Have an 02 X-type with 94,500miles. Throwing a 420/430 and 333knock code. Getting the "Cruise not available" notification with loss of power and bucking. usually comes on and flashes when I start the car, and then pops up over 3000 rpm at speed (70mph) on the highway.
I know about the PCV split and that has been repaired before.
Have checked the intake and run a smoke test eliminating that as the culprit.
I did use a cat cleaner a month ago, saw a noticeable increase in performance. I was having the CNA flash well before that.
My current theory is that the CC is causing some sort of back pressure, tripping the knock sensor and causing the computer to try and limit rpms or something.
I have priced out the CC and will probably replace them anyway, just want input on this because if I spend the money on the CC and STILL have this issue I will be pissed.

I'm not getting any O2 codes being thrown but could the cat cleaner have damaged the O2 causing the CNA to get worse somehow? considering changing the sensors out as well with the CC.

Any Input would be appreciated,
Thanks

Old 08-25-2022, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Cleaned MAF sensor, unplugged battery to reset ECU.
Still getting the CNA but not the CEL currently. Is it possible a faulty sensor is throwing the car into safety mode that isn't related to the codes?

Old 08-26-2022, 05:09 PM
Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

I had "cruise not available" with loss of power and bucking when the fuel pump was going bad. That gave me CELs with misfire codes on random cylinders for months so probably not the same thing you have going on.

P0420 and P0430 are indicating the computer isn't happy with the O2 sensor readings on both catalytic converters. What the computer wants to see is upstream O2 sensor changing quickly, a few times a second or more, and downstream sensors changing very slowly. User JagV8 pointed out to me the upstream sensors are wideband so I'm not sure what the signal looks like exactly. If you can look at the signal of your downstream O2 sensors with your code reader you should see a reading not moving much at all or moving by 0.1 or 0.2v over several seconds.

I replaced the rear/firewall/Bank 1 catalytic converter on my 05. It isn't a fun job. If I had it to do over again I would have removed the CC and sent it to someone who rebuilds them rather than get an aftermarket CC. The aftermarket one has worked great for years but the slight misalignments compared to the factory part added time to the install.