Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'02 X-Type- My first JAG!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 X-Type- My first JAG!

Hi everyone!

I just purchased a silver 2002 2.5 manual with black interior, from a dealer on autotrader. It has 84,000 miles and a slight ding in the trunk lid. I paid $6410 out the door. (Good price?)

Only mods I currently have planned are to:

1. fix the trunk lid
2. tint
3. in-dash dvd/mp3

This is the best forum I've seen on the net, I hope I can learn a lot about my new Jaguar in the coming months. Later

notyourtype

Old 01-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: '02 X-Type- My first JAG!

welcome to the forum!

Yes, I'd say you did well, depending on the service history, etc. I paid $410 less than you for my '02 2.5 5-spd with the ivory leather interior... but mine had more miles.

There are things that will wear-out, and hopefully the previous owner will have done alot of the work already.
Look through the FAQ's, and you'll find several items that are prone to failure on this car.

Again; WELCOME!

Old 01-23-2009, 06:02 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome, Good luck..

Old 01-23-2009, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  6.0 KB

Hey, welcome to the forum and congrats on your X type.
McJaguar gave some good advice.....The 02 was an early model and had some issues that may / may not have been resolved by the previous owner. I wouldn't be alarmed, but certainly check thru the FAQ's and get an idea of what to look for.
If you have any questions or are unsure just ask

All the best

Jim

Old 01-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forums!

Sounds like you got a great deal! I paid $10k for my 03 with 50k miles... Post some pics!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. The manual version is so much fun. Not many cars you can buy nowadays for a good price with a V6, AWD, and a manual tranny.

Being that it's a manual, I'd be a little weary about the clutch. 10k miles after I got mine, I learned that the hard way.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Welcome to the forums , hope you enjoy your X Type

Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 PM

Hey guys! Thanks for all the great responses!

I just took delivery of the car today and it is a DREAM! People say the 2.5 is underpowered but it seems very quick to me with the 5 speed. I love that you have to lift the chromey shifter thing to put it in reversevery sleek. The steering, handling, engine sound, and everything is just PRO.

Some weird things I noticed/don't understand quite yet:

-when you turn on the headlights, and pull the knob out 2 clicks instead of 1, what is the difference?
-what is that little light/speaker thing next to the cupholder?
-whats the little knob underneath the headlight knob? (mine's kinda missing, so all i can see is the little guage icon)

my x-type came with the cd-changer, but for some reason they cd cartridge is missing. also, the driver's floormat just slides around all the time and makes shifting difficult, anyone else experience this?

Are you guys running synthetic? and 93 octane? Thanks in advance, and any other maintenance suggestions would be appreciated!

Later guys,

notyourtype

Old 01-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: notyourtype

Hey guys! Thanks for all the great responses!

I just took delivery of the car today and it is a DREAM! People say the 2.5 is underpowered but it seems very quick to me with the 5 speed. I love that you have to lift the chromey shifter thing to put it in reversevery sleek. The steering, handling, engine sound, and everything is just PRO.

Some weird things I noticed/don't understand quite yet:

-when you turn on the headlights, and pull the knob out 2 clicks instead of 1, what is the difference?
-what is that little light/speaker thing next to the cupholder?
-whats the little knob underneath the headlight knob? (mine's kinda missing, so all i can see is the little guage icon)

my x-type came with the cd-changer, but for some reason they cd cartridge is missing. also, the driver's floormat just slides around all the time and makes shifting difficult, anyone else experience this?

Are you guys running synthetic? and 93 octane? Thanks in advance, and any other maintenance suggestions would be appreciated!

Later guys,

notyourtype

-when youpull the knob once, that will give you your front fog lights, pull it on the second click and it willturn the rear "fog" light which is just a brighter light on your rearso other drivers see you whenin afoggy road.
- the little light/speaker thing next to cup holder is where the DSCswitch is located(for those with DSC), if it looks like a speakerthen idk.
-the little knob underneath the headlight knob is the dashboard light illumination dimmer (sorry i can only talk in laymans term.. but i guess you know what i mean)

-i run synthetic and i do 93 only the best for my baby...

this forum has helped me a lot when it comes to maintenance and suggestions on care etc... its basically addicting for me since it is very informative (and helpful of course).. i would suggest logging in regularly or subscribing to threads...

Congratulations on your new Jag!!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:16 PM

oh.. i forgot to mention... if you're one of those people who are married to their jobs (like me) and live in a city with no garage (like me) i would suggest buying an extended warranty since (as Jim said) the previous owners may not have been attentive enough to the issues of the 02... i have an 02 xtype 3.0, i thought I couldnt restore it to its usual state but thanks to extended warranty, i never paid a dime for repairs.. and thanks to my dealer, they fixed everything not covered by extended warranty for free as part of our agreement during the purchase... and thanks to this forum and the guys who are very witty, experienced and wide readers, I was very directional as to what I tell my mechanic for each repair.. im almost done undoing what the previous owners have done wrong to the car... my goal is to do it with less money out of my pocket (which is a major turnoff among new Jag owners who purchased an older "abused" baby Jag)

Old 01-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

The light/speaker thingy is a rather small coin holder. The light is the security system indicator light. When you put the key in and turn it to run it should light for a few seconds and then go out. If it starts flashing that means there is a security fault, hopefully you never see that.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Default RE: X-Type- My first JAG!

Hey guys, thanks for the quick responses! Now I know what my car's actually doing

The rear foglights are sweet, I am going to use them to ward off tailgaters

elardizabal, how much did you pay for the extended warranty, if you don't mind me asking? I think that is right up my alley, sort of an insurance policy for repairs. I'm sure my clutch, transfer case, or something is going to wear out pretty soon just because of my car's age.

I have a couple more questions. Are your guy's reading lights blue?? Also, what do the phone buttons do?

notyourtype

Old 01-25-2009, 08:32 PM

dang.. ive just written a long a** response and it didnt file when i sent it ... so here I am retyping again[:@]

The extended warranty fee depends on coverage, deductible and age/mileage/make/model of your car.. make sure you read the fine lines since I didnt know that the CAT converter is not included, im glad im under dealership warranty... if you are then make sure you find all possible stuff they need to replace and repair so youll be worry free after the dealership warranty. ive paid 3500 which is good for 2 years (unlimited mileage)...

Youre seeing the lights blue? where? on the dash? then you might have partial color blindness (im serious) mine is green and I think (if im right) that it comes green unless the previous owners changed it... have another eye look at it and see..

The phone buttons? hehe... good luck to that... I googled everything related to that and for what Ive found out is that it is phone specific and there's a separate module that needs to be installed to have it working... basically what its telling you is that it is "phone/blue tooth" ready... some techs on this forum would have you send your VIN to them and they might be able to help you with that... my search for the allabouts on such phone buttons brought me to this forum!! Yayyy!
(check the related threads below this page and they might help)

eddy

Old 01-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey man congrats on the Jag purchase.. I have an 04 with the manual trans and I love it. I would deff look into getting some kind of extended warranty if you do not know the previous owners repair/upkeep history on the car.

I got mine with with the car since I purchased it certified from Jaguar. It deff is great and has come in handy a few times on some minor repairs. I always use 93 octane in the car since its recommended. Andhave the oil changed at the dealer when needed.

GL with the Jag

Old 01-26-2009, 06:33 AM

Hey guys, I'm feeling left out here. When I joined the forum, I only got a "welcome" post from Jim. C'mon, how about a big group hug for me.... BTW good luck with your'02!