X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 x-type passenger air bag light intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 09:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 x-type passenger air bag light intermittent

light goes on/off dependent on location of seat back. I have seen postings on cleaning contacts of air bag connection but I cannot figure out which connector belongs to the air bag and which to the seat location controller. Some of the comments do not seem model/year specific?? Help!

Stephen

Old 07-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Default Me again with more complete info

Car was inundated, roof left open during nighttime rainstorm. Wife opened windows, raised seats, lowered seat backs all the way in attempt to accelerate drying. Seats back in upright position did not respond to her weight - airbag light came on. When I sit on seat with back in upright position light goes off. When back is reclined way back light comes on, but goes off when back is upright again. (I can make light go off by leaving back in reclined position but sitting upright - just to confuse things more) I suspect a loose wire making/braking contact depending on location of back. Anyone, have an idea to fix - or just to trouble shoot further?

Stephen

Old 07-04-2015, 03:55 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

My '02 has the same, 'intermittent' problem - although it is more often than not anymore, as I have yet to address it.

The code that the airbag light gives me (search this forum for how to read the code from the light, and what the codes mean) indicated a bad ground (and/or maybe something else, I forget what). In spite of "refreshed" connectors (read: WD-40 and wiggle, disconnect-reconnect x5 times, etc) it continues to appear.

DO NOT BELIEVE most any of the codes you get, as you KNOW the problem is moisture / corrosion. You do NOT need any new parts, in all likelihood.

Methinks undoing one seat mounting bolt, and running some emery cloth 'twixt the seat and the body to clean the mechanical connection, might be the fix. Please try it and see if it works (also spray WD-40 in all the connections you find down there - wiggle 'em, etc)

Dealer price for fixing this problem likely qualifies as "expensive".

The other "fix" is what I currently employ: a small square of electrical tape to hide the warning light.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:57 AM

Bruce
Thanks for the reply.
Here's what I did: Disconnected battery, undid bolt holding electical connector left side, front passenger seat (with side branch connector having plastic latch needing a push in to release. Is this the airbag connection?). Compressed air to make sure that everything was dry, then Radio Shack connector cleaner. Jiggled connectors to assure good connection. I assume that the ground is good since the controls for the seat position work. Everything back together. Test. Same results - airbag light comes on when seat back in extreme reclined position.

I suspect that the connectors are not the culprit but the wiring up the back (is there wiring up the back?) is the problem. I saw somewhere else a video about removing the cover of the back, but that was for another model. I'll have to go back and try to find that again. Otherwise I am stumped. My wife is talking a new car! She is the one who sits in that seat!