X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04.5 chiming with door open and key removed, sporadic

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default '04.5 chiming with door open and key removed, sporadic

We bought this one about three weeks ago. Today was the most seat time I have had in it and the issue occurred probably three or four times out of probably a dozen or so instances of starting and later turning the car off.

From the beginning, the key has occasionally been sticky getting out of the ignition. My guess is that we just need to cycle some graphite through given the issues some have reported with other liquids making problems worse.

What will happen is that car is shut off, key removed from the ignition and when the door is opened, the car chimes as though it is trying to remind us to remove the key from the ignition. If we put the key back in and wiggle it just a little, the issue goes away. If we do not go through that extra step, the remote does nothing in terms of locking the door.

There is also some slack in the ignition itself, although from what we can tell, it is original. We only got one key with the purchase and have no way to tell for sure if it was one of the original keys and fobs. Paperwork in the binder with the manuals suggests this was a one-owner vehicle although I have not taken the step of tracking them down for any additional history or commentary on problems they may have encountered over the past decade.

Ordinarily I might have chalked this to a bad battery, but the sticker suggests new battery in January of this year at an unknown mileage. The vehicle now has just over 118K miles. And today's travel put close to 40 miles each way on, so it would seem that would have gotten the battery back to a decent maintenance level on the charge.

Before I pay the dealership I trust an hour of diagnostic time, I wanted to see if anyone else had encountered similar issues and, if so, what the cause turned out to be.

I hope I explained the issue well enough...if not, let me know where clarification may be needed.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Most of the time it ends up being the little gate directly on the inside of the ignition cylinder. Mine does it sometimes too.

I just take the end of the key and very lightly tap on the face of the cylinder (around the key hole) and the little gate will close. Kind of annoying but I just deal with it. It's actually a pretty common problem with our cars. I'll deal with it when it no longer closes from me tapping on it haha.