X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 x type written off! Any advice? Anyone need any parts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 x type written off! Any advice? Anyone need any parts?

Hi guys,

A few days ago my Jag was in an. Accident. Someone cut me off (they turned left in front of me and I hit the 4’’ curb causing damage to my wheels and the car wouldn’t Start after. Nothing, no click just dash lights. The engine looked forward in the bay when I popped the hood.

Looking for advice as to how to get the best pay out from insurance and if anyone might be interested in any parts If I bought the car back after to part out.

I have done repairs in the past after a write off but won’t be interested in that this time.

Anyone have any advice? Or opinions?

2004 Black with beige interior.

Old 10-19-2022, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,945 Likes on 770 Posts

Hi Jason, really sorry to hear of your accident.
It can be a real gut punch to lose a car you really love.
Your accident possibly tripped the inertia switch (accessible through hole in RHS A pillar dress cover) which will immobilize the car until reset (like a push button circuit breaker).
Hoping the car might not be quite as dead as you think.

I have had two car claims to manage with insurance companies in the past 10 years,
My 2002 SantaFe which was undervalued by their "guide book" and I successfully argued that their average assumed price was not applicable to my car as it was one owner, low mileage and the generic depreciation value they had assigned to it would not achieve replacing the vehicle with an equivalent condition, year, mileage car. I bargained and got them to send an assessor out to confirm the vehicle mileage and overall pre accident condition and actually got paid out a further 15% (the upper level of their price guide curve).

The other car was my mother's BMW 1 series which she stacked and I had to start dealing with while she was in hospital and followed through to conclusion as was having a long recovery from airbag induced head trauma.
That one was a very low mileage (33,000 Km would you believe) and was similarly harshly depreciated and disadvantaged by their reference book. I independently sought prices of other cars that were the closest examples of the same model, year, etc. finding three valid examples that their guide price was understating the practical replacement cost. I also subtly pointed out that their renewal process and recourse avenues were not particularly suited for engaging their more elderly customers who implicitly trusted the information and valuations touted by their long standing insurance company in the annual policy renewals. We also achieved some additional consideration on that vehicle.

It may come down to your policy and who you can speak to at your insurance company, but all I can suggest is you should do your research first so you are fully informed and have put the best possible cards in your hand.
Decide how you want to play them, best to go slowly and deliberately and keep any conversations upbeat and as friendly. Remember, you are asking for their help to solve a problem, loosing your cool (no matter how frustrated you might feel) will just serve to diminish your hand.

Good luck with your claim journey and the search for a suitable replacement.