X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 motor into an 03 X-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 motor into an 03 X-Type?

Can anyone tell me if there is anything I would need to change before instaling this engine. The only difference I can see is the vlave covers are plastic instead of metal.

Still looking over the sensors & such.

Thanks, Rob

Old 06-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,932 Likes on 3,228 Posts

Robo, you should be able to swap them out without any issues. These are pretty much interchangeable with no issues. All the sensors and whatnot are the same.

Not to add more work and/or cost to the job, but this would also be a good time to give the transfer case a rebuild to ensure you can have fun with the car without having to worry about a transfer case.

The following users liked this post:
Five Speed (06-10-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 PM

Thermo,

Thanks for your quick reply! It only has a little under 100K and didn't think about the tranny. I already hav it bolted in, but still hooking up accessories.

Is there a changeable filter under that tranny pan? I still have room to remove it!

Thanks, Rob

Old 06-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,932 Likes on 3,228 Posts

Robochop, I would say if you have it out on a stand, I would undo the bottom of the tranny and see if there is a filter there or not. Ican not say that anyone has removed theirs to put a new one in, but I would anticipate something to be down in that area that you could potentially remove to get rid of any large chunks.

I was referring more to the transfer case than the tranny itself. If you are going to have issues, you are more likely to have it with the transfer case. Since you have things in pieces now, getting the transfer case out would be a piece of cake.

That just brought up something else that you may want to consider. Since you have the engine out, now would probably be a prime time to do any work you would want to do on the oil pan. Probably a good time to put in a new gasket as these are known to start leaking and be a real PITA to get to once inside the car. The big problem being the one bolt that is hidden behind the mount for the transfer case.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:42 AM

Thanks again for all of your info. I am also having trouble with hooking up the starter. it has 3 connectors, but I can only find 2 wires. The red battery and a small wire. The small wire is easy, but not sure which terminal the red one goes to. there is a nut on the solenoid and on on the bottom that goes into the starter. Are there any wiring diagrams on the site? Thanks, Robo

Old 06-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Hello & welcome ...I do hope these forums help you.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:32 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Robochop
Thanks again for all of your info. I am also having trouble with hooking up the starter. it has 3 connectors, but I can only find 2 wires. The red battery and a small wire. The small wire is easy, but not sure which terminal the red one goes to. there is a nut on the solenoid and on on the bottom that goes into the starter. Are there any wiring diagrams on the site? Thanks, Robo
There should be two heavy-gauge wires bolted to the same stud on the starter solenoid. One wire goes to the battery and the other is the output from the alternator.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:49 PM

I found it thanks! Man, there is a LOT of wires & hoses on these cars! I also need to replace a leaky power steering pump & right front motor mount, before I can start it up.

P.S. I did get a good deal on a wrecked car motor with 50k miles on it!