X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.0 Diesel head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 05:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2.0 Diesel head gasket

Hi all. Pretty sure the head gasket has gone on my engine and was wondering if anybody has done the head gasket on these diesel jags and how hard they are or special tools required? I read in the Jaguar repair manuals that these heads are not serviceable so are they throw away items or can the gasket be replaced.

Many Thanks

Old 02-27-2016, 07:26 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you sure its the head gasket? Heads are quite strong on this engine and rarely fails. Another one to check is the oil cooler. It uses the engines own coolant to cool the oil coming from turbo. It has some seals in it that sometime fails, causing the oil and coolant to mix. Cooler Itself is attached to the oil filter housing. You have to take it out and do a water pressure test to see if the water is leaking inside the oil channels. Its a bit of pain to get it out, but if its the cause of your problem, then its a lot cheaper to fix.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:37 AM

Thanks. The reason I suspect the head gasket was that I bought it as a non runner. When I finally got it to go it was smoking some what and decided to do further test. At that point I noticed the water in the header tank was clear and on max, no anti-freeze though. I did a compression test and all 4 were at 300 psi. I swapped injectors over with a known good set and fired it up but still smoky. I then removed injectors and fitted the original ones back in. I tried to start it and it would hardly turn over. On further inspection I noticed water in header tank had disappeared. I removed injectors again and sucked out water from cylinders with a hydrometer refitted injectors and now it turns over but won't start as I think there is water getting into cylinders when trying to start it. I have not done a further compression test to see if it has died but suspect head gasket has failed?

Old 03-02-2016, 12:27 PM

Well upon further investigation the water in cylinders had damaged the injectors. I replaced injectors and now it starts again. I decided to look into where the water is going as the compression has never dropped so if water was getting into cylinders then compression would be getting in water. I disconnected the Egr pipe and started it up and a torrent of water came out the silver Egr pipe from Egr cooler so now wonder if the Egr cooler has failed and allowing water to get into the inlet manifold and causing problems.
has anybody seen these Egr coolers fail.
Thanks

Old 03-02-2016, 01:00 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the water came out from the silver EGR pipe, then the egr cooler has most likely failed. Theres no other place the water could get into that pipe. Not sure about how it failed. It should be solid piece of aluminium, so it doesnt rust. Maybe it has some damage from previous owner trying to repair something or the exhaust gases has been too hot at some point. Maybe someone has really tried to get the maximum boost out of the turbo at some point and burned the cooler. I really havent heard anything about them just fail. They havent got any seals or moving parts on them. Just solid piece of metal. But most likely you have to replace it ant its a bitch to get it out. I replaced the turbo on my car and the cooler was the only thing that didnt want to come out.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:56 AM

Thanks. I started to remove the EGR cooler and was going easily and thought that this job isn't so difficult until I tried to undo the 2 10mm bolts holding the EGR to the inlet manifold and after several attempts and a few choice swear words I ended up having to remove the whole inlet manifold to get at it which is like getting a square peg through a round hole. I did get it out though and have removed it from manifold and will now pressure test it and if it passes then I think it can only be the head gasket left that is allowing water into the combustion side.

I have looked for a sticky on this but can't seem to find anything. It seems the plate covering the timing chain is bonded on and is supposed to be replaced as it warps. I have never done a chain before and wonder how to remove it.
Oh well nothing ventured nothing gained lol.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:52 AM

Hi folks. I removed the egr cooler and it had indeed failed. It was allowing the water to get into the exhaust gases and therefore allowing it to get back into the cylinders. I have replaced the egr cooler and now the water is clear and not getting into the cylinders but it is still smoking and the fumes are smelling of diesel. I have replace the injectors and coded them in but still she smokes. Please does anybody know what would cause this diesel to smoke? Thanks