Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.0 TDCI crankshaft position (CKP) sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 07:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2.0 TDCI crankshaft position (CKP) sensor replacement

Hi there!
It is my first post on this forum, therefore I would like to kindly greet you all in the first place!

I am about to change the CKP sensor on the Jag due to hot-start problems with my 2.0TDCI; I have already replaced the camshaft position sensor. The car seems to run slightly smoother and maybe start slightly better but that can be as well placebo effect. Nevertheless, when studying the X-Type workshop manual available online I discovered that when changing the crankshaft sensor, manual specifies to put the sensor again only if the "triggering tooth" of the flywheel is visible through the housing. Does it really matter? Access to that particular place is kind of heavily restricted with not much possibility to look at the hole and see whether the tooth is visible. Do you have any experiences connected to replacing such a sensor? Can I just disregard it and swap the part for the new one without really caring about this?

1. NOTE: Only turn the engine in the normal direction of rotation
Turn the engine until a flywheel trigger tooth is visible through the CKP
sensor housing.
2. CAUTION: The CKP sensor tip must rest on a flywheel trigger
tooth. Incorrect installation may result in the CKP sensor being damaged.
• NOTE: Make sure that the CKP sensor housing is clean and free from
foreign material.
Install the CKP sensor.
Tighten to 7 Nm.
Have a great weekend!
Bart

Old 05-25-2021, 03:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, just to give an update - I did not care about the flywheel trigger tooth being visible and just swapped the sensor today (as the part has arrived a few hours ago).

No changes, hot start problem is as bad as before (maaaybe... slightly better) and the car run smoother - but I grant both of that to the placebo effect. Nevertheless, not much of a cost two replace two of those sensors.

Any ideas how to cure this lovely hot-starting problem? I remember the injector's have been sent to restoration like 2-3 years ago and I cannot really blame them (I suppose I would see some whitish smoke when stepping on the pedal with faulty injectors and the problem with the start would not only be present when warm but also with the cold engine, right?) I seriously don't know what approach to take now.

(ECU update not available, newest installed according to the polish Jag dealer).