Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.0d fuel starvation problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0d fuel starvation problem

Hi all,
Hoping for some advice and guidance on a fuelling issue I have with my x-type diesel which has caused much confusion and frustration trying to investigate and fix the fault, having scoured the internet and various forums I still don't feel like I'm any closer to resolving.

My symptoms are identical to this post by another forum member here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-issue-213005/

The engine is happy to start on first turn of the key and run for approx. 7.5mins at idle when the fuel filter has been filled to the brim, after 7.5mins the engine stalls glow plug light flashes and my basic code reader is showing error code: P0251 [Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control "A" (Cam/Rotor/Injector)]

After the engine has stalled the fuel filter feels almost empty and if refilled by hand this allows the engine to start and run again for the same duration.

So far, I've replaced the following:

New fuel filter (Bosch)
New IMCV (Delphi)
New cam sensor (Ford)

I've also checked the following:
Confirmed the inertia switch hasn't triggered
Drained and flushed the fuel tank
Drained the fuel feed and return pipes with compressed air and visually checked for any leaks
'Primed' the fuel feed pipe manually with a hand syphon pump
Visually checked for fuel leaking around each injector and the fuel pipe unions at the back of the high-pressure pump.

I'm interested to understand if the symptoms would point towards injector or fuel pump faults, being that the engine will start, run and idle without running rough or excessively smoke until the fuel filter has been drained?

Any other suggestions or things to try check would be very welcome. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-13-2020, 05:39 PM
Default fuel pump issues

Hi
My x type diesel is in at the mechanics for a very similar problem. I've had dpf replaced which really didn't do anything and then same problems as you've had started up.
I'll let you know what they say.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa Hockings
Hi
My x type diesel is in at the mechanics for a very similar problem. I've had dpf replaced which really didn't do anything and then same problems as you've had started up.
I'll let you know what they say.
That would be a great help, thanks very much!