X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.2d 6 speed transmission oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 03:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2.2d 6 speed transmission oil change

I am looking to change the transmission oil in my 2008 2.2d automatic jaguar x type. It has the 6 speed aisin transmission. I can't seem to find a writeup on how to do this for this transmission. Please can anyone help with the procedure with pictures or point me to an existing thread if one exists.

Old 04-23-2022, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, been in the same boat as you eventually got under the bonnet for the gear box codes below are 2 links for youtube to change the oil both on a volvo!! but they are using the same box. I recon looking under my jags bonnet the battery and battery box need removing to find the fill point.

another link for frequency of oil change

https://akppro.ru/en/magazine/articl...0thousand%20km.

the extract from about half way down the page

OIL AND FILTER TF-81SC

In manuals for vehicles equipped with the TF-81SC and TF-80SC it can be specified that oil in this transmission is intended for the entire duration of its lifetime. However, under our conditions, an oil change at least once a year or two will considerably reduce the chance of failures. The fact is that this gearbox is very sensitive to the fluid characteristics, therefore I recommend to change oil every 20–30 thousand km.

The oil gets dirty, and it is clearly seen by its color: in Fig. 16 you can see fresh oil, used – but still usable oil, and waste oil which should have been changed long ago.

A transmission with fresh fluid is less prone to overheating – new oil carries away heat better. Of course, in the TCM there is a protection mode which, when reaching a temperature of 129 C, in most cases blocks the torque converter, but it is better not to bring the transmission to a state for emergency modes.

The frequency of oil changes depends on the operating mode and working conditions. In case of regular commutes in a big city with all its horrendous traffic, or when driving aggressively (with slam acceleration and abrupt braking), it is possible to turn the fluid into unusable dregs in 10 thousand km. On the other hand, when making long trips without harsh speeding up, the oil will serve several times longer.

For oil change, the original transmission fluids Aisin AW – AW-1 or Toyota WS are recommended. Also, feel free to use their analogs – for instance, the semi-synthetic oils ATF Ravenol T-IV and Mobil (or Esso, since they are brands of the same company) 3309.

The oil filter (Fig. 6, 24, at your discretion) is arranged in such a way that to replace it you need to dismantle the transmission and partially disassemble it. Timely oil change helps to keep the filter relatively clean and makes it possible to buy some time before the filter change becomes inevitable.

Not done mine yet will be attempting it in the next couple of weeks

Old 04-25-2022, 06:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your reply Thwaitpd. I have actually done the oil flush about 3 weeks ago and yes I saw the videos you linked to. The only difference to the Volvo is you need to remove the battery and battery carrier. The battery carriers has some bolts that are not readily accessible and this is actually the most difficult part of it. You may not even need to raise the vehicle if you don't have the engine cover but raising it makes it more accessible/easier.

For the oil, I bought 8L of Mannol JWS 3309 for £34.79 from ebay and 6L Mobil ATF 3309 for £8.87 per liter from amazon. I flushed and drain 3 times using the Mannol oil and use the Mobil for the final fill. Without doing any chemical analysis, the Mannol and Mobil oil appears identical so may not be necessary to do a last flush with the Mobil oil.

To level it, I used an infrared thermometer on the gearbox housing, I levelled it when the temperature reached about 50C. The levelling should have been done when the atf oil reached 60C but the housing will have lower temperature to the fluid on heating up hence my choice of 50C. This is the only part I did not following the workshop manual. If I find a cheap way to measure the transmission oil temperature, I may try to level it properly - maybe get it to coincide with the next atf oil change.

The car now feels much better IMHO - I used to noticed when it is about to shift and some whining sounds and it now shifts better and I can barely feels it shifting and the whining sound is now gone.

The following users liked this post:
Thwaitpd (04-25-2022)