X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5 AWD Auto with No Drive. Transfer Box Common?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 AWD Auto with No Drive. Transfer Box Common?

Hi, Ive just bought a 2004 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 AWD Auto to repair as Im in the trade.

There is no drive from it in any gear and I have done the gearbox oil level check/ fill. Unfortunately its still the same.

When running and in gear I can hear a light grinding noise which Im pretty sure is from the transfer box.

I know they are common for whining etc but do they ever totally fail like this and give no drive whatsoever? Id imagine some gears must be stripped in it or a shaft broken..

If its common that will put my mind at ease before I look into a replacement or repair!

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2017, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,361 Posts

This sounds like a transmission problem, not a transfer case problem. When servicing the transmission, is it possible that you loosened the reverse band bolt instead of the drain bolt? This mistake is so common that the transmission service companies have a bulletin on it (the transmission is a JATCO JF506E, used in several makes). If the reverse band bolt is loosened the car will lose reverse and in some cases, all forward gears.
Have you changed the fluid in the transfer case yet? (Synthetic 75w140, 600 ml from empty, generally about 400 ml on a drain/refill).

Old 04-11-2017, 01:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the car yesterday with this problem, I read that the oil level could cause it so I checked that with the proper car running method and correct plugs removed and it took a small amount (about 350-400ml) but not much. I had to guess on the oil temp as my equipment didnt show live data for temp.

I scanned the TCM and no faults, also did a reset on it just to try.

when running in drive theres a definite light grinding noise like gears not fully mesching and seems to be coming from transfer box..