X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5L vs 3.0L Engine Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 04:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2.5L vs 3.0L Engine Reliability

Hi Everyone. I used to own a pair of twin 1988 XJ6's. They were a constant headache and I sold them for pennies on the dollar, but I still had fun with the Jaguars. Now I know the X-Type and S-Type are more of a Ford than a Jag and to me that's a good thing. I've always been a Ford person. But when people say the X-Type is a Taurus, that is misleading. The Taurus came with a 12v 3.0L V6 or 24V DOHC 3.0L V6. There was never a 2.5L engine in a Taurus. The next thing, the Taurus was never AWD. I've head there are tranny issues for the 2002 year but I am looking at a manual shift model so my worry is on the engine. I owned many Tauruses back in the day with all had the 24V DOHC 3.0L V6. I even had a Ford Five Hundred with that engine. That engine was a blast to enjoy and it was rock solid with no problems. However the particular X-Type I'm looking at is a 2.5L. Do they last as long and are they as good as the 3.0 in reliability. It was common for me to get over 200,000 miles on my 24V 3.0L engines. Is the 2.5L any good? I found a 2002 X-Type and it is plain with no sunroof and just the 2.5L but it is the manual so I'm interested. It also has 95,000 miles and is listed at $2995 and I think I should be able to get it for $2500 but I need to know if that 2.5 is an engine that is capable of going another 95K miles like the 3.0 is. Please let me know so I can make my decision. Thanks in advance!!

Old 07-06-2014, 04:46 AM
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,427 Posts

The Jag V6 is a Duratec 30, no relation to the old Taurus, it's more in common with the Mondeo V6.

That being said, the 2.5 and 3.0 are all but identical apart from the bore, there is no difference in reliability between the two

Jaguar AJ-V6 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-06-2014, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by tedh
Now I know the X-Type and S-Type are more of a Ford than a Jag and to me that's a good thing.
"In pure mathematical terms, the new X-Type is more "Jaguar" than the upscale S-Type. According to Simon Sproule, vice-president of public affairs for Jaguar Cars North America, the S shares 40 percent of its parts with the Lincoln while less than 20 percent of the X-Type's parts come from the Mondeo."
2002 Jaguar X-Type First Drive

I'd say both are more Jag than Ford.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:05 AM
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

I think these engines are pretty durable and reliable but prone to oil pan gasket leaks that can cost a pretty penny to fix. All the common failure parts are pretty cheap, and for the most part easy to get to. Once they start getting up there in mileage; you can expect the knock sensor, crank position sensor, coil packs, water pump, and belt tensioners to need replacing. If you are handy with doing your own repairs than you shouldn't encounter too many problems that are that difficult to fix. (especially with the great resources on this forum)

Now the automatic transmissions are another story as they are not as tough/bulletproof as the engines are so you are wise to be looking for one with a manual transmission.

When I dropped my oil pan to swap the gasket out there was a lot of baked on crud built up on the windage tray. I think it has to do with the heat from the catalytic converters being so close to the oil pan actually cooking the oil, so frequent oil changes with high quality fluids and keeping the transfer case full of oil would be my only bits of advice if you want to get 200k+ miles out of it.

Last edited by ltmax; 07-06-2014 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,922 Likes on 3,222 Posts

tedh, like was mentioned, the 2.5L and 3.0L motors are almost identical except for a few small measurements inside the block. Both have been very reliable inside the X-Type. If you have the option to get a car for that price, go for it. If you are familiar with the 3.0L Duratec, then you will be right at home with the 2.5L motor.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys!

I did end up buying the 2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 Manual car. The good news..... Car "shows" 95,707 miles. Car leather drivers seat appears in good shape, not all cracked or ripped to go along with 95K. Car exterior looks like 95K. Engine runs well. Car "manual" shifts well. I paid with taxes and fees $2000 out the door. Now, why did I get such a great car for such a low price? Now for the bad....

Speedometer doesn't work. Mileage shows up when you start car but after you drive away it shows all dashes. Every time I start it the car still says 95707 so based on me putting miles on it, it has to have more miles. A/C digital screen controls and screen works but does not put out cold air. Radio works but screen does not. CD works but screen does not. When I put on my turn signals I get no arrows, only a headlight indicator. With car off and battery on, hazard and turn signals and headlights work. But with car started, when left signal is on but the fender light "flickers" faintly. With the right turn signal on, the back lights show the LEFT turn signal on! In the dark with no headlights on, when I tap the brake pedal, the radio screen that doesn't work, does illuminate green plus all the buttons above such as defrost and all buttons in the row, illuminate! They light up when I tap the brake and go off as soon as I let off the brake. It does this with vehicle running or when just in battery mode. On instrument cluster besides speedometer not working and mileage turning into dashes, the odometer dashes flicker from regular to dim. Also the ABS light is on, the traction control light is on, and the check engine light is on. Power seat was working until I tilted it back and I heard the fuse pop. Traction control button does nothing but sometimes when vehicle is started it will flash red real quick.

I won't get into details about the leak in the exhaust because it sounds good lol. The rear suspension has issues and I'm pretty sure the front suspension has problems too. I pull up the emergency brake and the car still rolls back. Oh yeah and the remote doesn't work. Key does lock and unlock all door electronically so maybe remote needs new battery or maybe its related to all the electrical problems. Other than that it's a great car !

Basically it's an electrical nightmare right now! Are all the items bad or could one or two things be the source of my problems like a bad computer or module? I don't know where to start. I guess I'm going to pull engine codes and then unhook battery and start checking fuses. I have no book to show what fuse is for what. I could've posted each problem in a particular related thread but there are just so many problems electrically and I just need a starting point.

I bought this car thinking it had a Ford Duratec motor in it and I "heard" the car was basically a Taurus with a Jaguar shell put on it. I don't know what a Mondeo is in America but it looks like that was a Contour and now is a Fusion? I used to own a pair of twin 1988 XJ6's and while they ran great, they were electrical nightmares with Lucas and Bosch flawed wiring systems. I was glad to be buying a Ford because I've owned many Ford's with Duratec 24V V6's with over 200K on them and they ran good but most importantly, NO electrical problems. I thought that with Ford involved, it wouldn't be an electrical nightmare but as of right now, it is. PLEASE HELP ME!!

Old 07-17-2014, 06:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,922 Likes on 3,222 Posts

Ted, see your other post about electrical problems. We will get you taken care of.