X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Degrees Outside. Noisy Car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2 Degrees Outside. Noisy Car.

It's 2 degrees Fahrenheit here in MD today. I heard a lot of new noises coming from my X this morning on my commute to work. Seems like I can hear every gear in the car whirring and whining. Cold transmission and t-case fluid, I suppose?

I also heard a loud, intermittent ringing, which would increase and decrease with the speed of the car. Came and went at random. I'm thinking that was the carrier bearing?

Anyone else experience these noises when driving in extreme cold?

Stay warm.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Pretty much all cars do that. The PS pump on my SUV sounds like a siren on an old fire truck.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in upstate NH and drive the Jag in a lot of cold weather.

When it is exceptionally cold, I hear some strut/shock noise, and yeah, the transmission "whines" a bit more than usual. I imagine the trans fluid is just really, really cold.

Also, I try to let the car warm up a bit before kicking on the heater....I have heard some AWFUL noises if it is super-cold out and turn the car on and immediately turn the heater on full.

Once it is warm, though (or I have driven a ways), almost all the noises die down.....

It's just cold, I figure.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:53 PM

Glad to hear the reassuring comments. I figured as much, but, this is my first cold winter with the car. Wasn't sure what to expect.

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

normal stuff, nothing to be worried about

Old 01-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

If you get another 5 or 10 degrees colder, your X-Type will start singing like the fat lady in the opera.

My favorite of the X-Type cold weather songs is the Constant Velocity Joint doing it's own Aria (noun: aria; long, accompanied song for a solo voice, typically one in an opera) with a strong, syncopated back-beat from the flat spots on the frozen tires.

That is some crazy music!

Others are the Fanbelt Fugue, the Transmission Trombone, the Transfer Case Toccata (watch out for that one: each stanza ends with the bells of a cash-register ringing!), the Drive Line Drum ("Boom Boom Boom goes the Drive Line, Thump Thump Thump goes your heart"), the Dragging Brake Baritone, the Power Steering Pump Sonata (a lovely song, sung either in "turn right" or "turn left"), and the Windshield Wiper Waltz (you'll be waltzing on the ice around the car as you run to break the frozen wipers free of the window whilst the growl of the wiper motor accompanies).

Like the "Boom!" of Kettle Drums? That is what the Regulator of a frozen side window sounds like when it fails, as you try to open a frozen-shut window. Piccolo's? The sound of the squeak you make when you see your cold-weather mileage.

Come on, kids. help me here.

The X-Type is a veritable Symphony of cold weather sounds. The only one you don't really want to hear is "Crunch"!

Others: (please add to the list)

* ABS Staccato
* Windshield Warm-up Rhapsody
* Frozen Electric Mirror Miserere
* Frozen Lock Lament (kind of a Gregorian Chant, or maybe a Funeral Dirge)
* Heavy Metal Head-Bang
* ???

The following 5 users liked this post by Bruce in North Dakota:
clyons (01-07-2014), Dr dome (01-07-2014), GLH (01-07-2014), Mikey (01-07-2014), rclangelan (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Excellent post! I'd pee myself laughing but am afraid it'd freeze.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:12 PM
GLH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bruce, you must be a musician. I'm glad I decideded to not drive my 2005 in the winter, only run it around the park, no salt, on warm days to keep her moving. Couldn't decide if I should store the car or leave it outside so that it could be run occasionally. I bought a Florida car and it doesn't have DSC so it's probably not as good in the snow as my Escalade AWD, but I don't know.
Anyway, Im guessing all those noises can't be good for the car.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce in North Dakota
If you get another 5 or 10 degrees colder, your X-Type will start singing like the fat lady in the opera.

My favorite of the X-Type cold weather songs is the Constant Velocity Joint doing it's own Aria (noun: aria; long, accompanied song for a solo voice, typically one in an opera) with a strong, syncopated back-beat from the flat spots on the frozen tires.

That is some crazy music!

Others are the Fanbelt Fugue, the Transmission Trombone, the Transfer Case Toccata (watch out for that one: each stanza ends with the bells of a cash-register ringing!), the Drive Line Drum ("Boom Boom Boom goes the Drive Line, Thump Thump Thump goes your heart"), the Dragging Brake Baritone, the Power Steering Pump Sonata (a lovely song, sung either in "turn right" or "turn left"), and the Windshield Wiper Waltz (you'll be waltzing on the ice around the car as you run to break the frozen wipers free of the window whilst the growl of the wiper motor accompanies).

Like the "Boom!" of Kettle Drums? That is what the Regulator of a frozen side window sounds like when it fails, as you try to open a frozen-shut window. Piccolo's? The sound of the squeak you make when you see your cold-weather mileage.

Come on, kids. help me here.

The X-Type is a veritable Symphony of cold weather sounds. The only one you don't really want to hear is "Crunch"!

Others: (please add to the list)

* ABS Staccato
* Windshield Warm-up Rhapsody
* Frozen Electric Mirror Miserere
* Frozen Lock Lament (kind of a Gregorian Chant, or maybe a Funeral Dirge)
* Heavy Metal Head-Bang
* ???
LOL!!!

Excellent.
A bit over the top, but there's a grain of truth in there!

The following users liked this post:
Bruce in North Dakota (01-08-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 06:19 PM

Normal, was -6 degrees last week here and had the same issue.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Been cold here at lot lately too. All those noises are regular.

I'll add one to the musical list:

Road Salt Rusting Reggae! (the sound of chunks of metal flaking off in 4/4 time)

The following users liked this post:
Bruce in North Dakota (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I've seen worming in up a bit - and pushing the gas slightly while in nuetuel - drive the noise away - also Turing on lights radio also helps -

I have a ? On the oil I'm using now Castrol Edge 5W30 full synthetic - I've heard we should switch to thicker oil what's you experience ? Especially in cold areas

Old 01-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Stay with the 5w.

Your Variable Valve Timing depends on it, summer and winter.

Jaguars do not need "thick oil". If you change anything, go 5w10 for winter.

You drive a Jaguar.

It's engine is built (re-engineered, to be correct) to the HIGHEST of tolerances. Your X-Type ain't your Daddy's Ford Taurus - even thought Ford 'built' it. It is a World Class Motor Car, built to the umteenth of balances and tolerances.

"Thick oil" is for 'filling the gaps'.

Your Jaguar has no such 'gaps'.

You may safely take a frozen Jaguar X-Type from well below zero degrees F at start-up to over 100 miles per hour - without warm-up - without ill effect.

Keeping the oil 'fresh' is the trick.

//Vehicles in Rear-View Mirror are loosing

Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the same noises during our "Arctic Blast" in Chicago . Good to hear it's not just my xtype.
Has anyone experienced the frozen fuel door? That one will scare ya if you don't plan on the -16*F days.