X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 2.5 se auto - dtc codes and the etm

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 2.5 se auto - dtc codes and the etm

having been given advice i have found a vaccum pipe with a small split which has been replaced but the car will still only start and not move when a 'gear' is selected.

when i checked the dtc codes the only one was p1000 which i was told was just the self test not completing and not much to worry about but a recent chat with my local moco and they say the self test has poss. not completed because the response from something is 'out of range'

i have checked the etm and there are a few responses i dont understand but the main one is from the dtc option which reports (in hex) a879 and e510 - converted they are b2879 and u2510. anyone know what they are for the jaguar as the information i get seems to be rather generic for various cars but is somwthing to do with fuel pump jet needle for the first and ecm identification mismatch for the second - and i dont understand either!!

Old 09-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

Neither of the codes you give are listed by Jaguar in their manual for your car! Others may disagree, but IMHO, the dashboard diagnostic system was never intended to identify faults such as you are searching for. Actually, I don't think you should worry too much about the P1000 code. It takes quite a bit of running to complete the System checks, once you can get going!

If you do want to check for codes you need a proper scanner that plugs into the diagnostic socket. A cheap one will find basic engine faults, but many of the car's systems - say, the Transmission Module - require a Jaguar capable system such as held by dealers and Jaguar independents. There are also a number of more capable scanners available for keen amateurs and a search of this forum's archives will guide you. Personally I use Autoenginuity with the Jaguar enhancement, but it not a cheap option! Others with different experience will no doubt tell you of theirs!

Old 09-19-2012, 02:13 PM

the odb2 unit i origionally used was loaned by a relative who has been in the auto trade for many years, i dont know its name but it belongs to his garage and cost something like £5000+ so not an ebay cheepie. as far as im aware (but may be wrong), and having looked at various net information, i didnt think there is a jaguar only odb2 unit since every site ive read just says an odb2 is sufficient to read the codes - but a local machanic i spoke to did say something about a system called 'launch' which is e-odb compliant assuming that makes any difference.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

blackeagles, one of the most successful combos out there to use with our cars to read codes is the obdII elm327 scanner (ebay $15) and the torque pro app. I know you think it's a cheapie, but a lot of owners use it on here and it is a fantastic diagnostic tool on our xtypes and other cars.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:53 AM

"Am i missing something here, or have we yet to find out whether this car is a manual or automatic - might be relevant?!

What I would like to know is

Auto or Manual?
Any dash warning lights on and when?
Does the engine stall on selecting a gear or is there just no drive?
If a manual, how's the clutch behaving?
If an auto, do any of the lights on the J Gate light up as the lever is moved?
Was the £5k scanner Jaguar capable? I just feel there must be some useful codes hidden in there somewhere! (But not in the dashboard diagnostic system!) "

a short history. previous owner said car running well when father had it, passed to son who had a small amount of work done (no idea what) and car ran well for 2/3 months then started to become 'jerky' and did not seem to be able to find gears (prob. limp mode), carried on using it and stopped on hill on day, tried to pull away and car just rolled backwards as would not engage gears, trailored home. we bought it.

car is a 2.5 se auto.

yellow light by the display saying "cruise control unavailable". car starts and runs well but selecting a gear it wont move.

used an odb2 reader - no idea if its 'jaguar enabled', as far as i know its a standard one. only code to see is p1000. moco says its because the self test cannot complete as there is an 'out of range' reading (but i would have thought it would go into limp mode rather than not go anywhere).

usede the delete function to cancel codes. car still starts and still runs sweetly with no lights or messages, no drive.

i ran the etm test (its a manual seft test) and there are a few readings i dont understand. dtc codes in hex showing as a879 and e510 - as mention above - converted they are b2879 and u2510. power train check shows '81' (should be 0 to ff) so may be ok. interactive vehicle dynamics shows '00' (should be 0 to ff) - according to a list i found 0=no fault but it also says bit0=abs/tcs fault so im confused. pats shows '5c' (should be 0-ff) my list says 5=bad read address but this may be because we used a key with a dead battery but the code should go away when a good key is used but has not even though the other key is good.

i have not specifically looked at the j gate as i did not know it lit up for different drive selections! i will check next time i go over to it (not at my house) but i dont recall noticing any lights on it.

also replaced a leaking air pipe (as identified/suggested in earlier post) but the rest seem ok (no engine rev rise when sprayed with easy start)

so.... only odb2 code p1000 but etm also shows b2879 and u2510 and cannot clear any of them or they clear but keep comming back each time. some additional code readings in the etm that may be wrong. no warning lights or messages now but the p1000 persists. engine starts and runs sweetly but selecting a gear and nowt happens - reverse gives the usual 'ping' so that works.

loosing the will to live.......

Old 09-21-2012, 03:51 AM

ah, just noticed i keep saying odb when i mean obd, clearly need to borrow a few more brain cells.

just been talking to a jaguar engineer who was trying to tell me i was reading the p1000 code wrongly and it must have been p0100 but after a bit of an argument he conceeded that all jaguars has code p1000 which cannot be cancelled by a meter but only by the ecm after a certain number of cycles.

interestingly he did say that almost all of the powertrain (in fact virtually everything) is monitored so if there is a problem then a warning light or warning messages will show. as there is neither nor is there any obd fault codes (assuming this meter has the correct software) then there is a fair chance the problem is between the j gate selector and the auto box.

the j gate lights up for each gear selected but he said there are rod connectors from the 'stick' to the box which have rubber mounted bushes and on early x types it has been known for the inner ferrel of the rubber connector to rust up and grind away the rubber to such an extent the the rod just falls off. as this is obviously not monitored there are no lights/messages and the engine runs fine but no drive.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Received 221 Likes on 98 Posts

I read those codes and i found them on Jaguar. I'm a mechanic at a jaguar specialty shop and we have a subscription to jaguars tech info library...

The codes you have are:

B2879
Fuel tank jet pump fault

Fuel pump module, fuel tank jet pump fault
Fuel level (check both sides of the saddle tank)

Refer to electrical circuit diagrams, notes and check fuel level senders and fuel tank jet pump circuits for faults

This code i didn't find on the x-type, but I found it on the xj library:

U2510

CAN - Invalid data for Vehicle Security

(LED flash 23) Instrument cluster, engine control module PATS identification wrong/mismatch with cluster

Enable engine control module PATS identification transfer to instrument cluster using the manufacturer approved diagnostic system.

I just hope this helps... again, i'm able to get some more info because we pay thousands on that library. If you find a solution to all this please tell. Thanks and best of luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by daxter1987:
BlackEagleS (09-23-2012), Dr dome (03-10-2014)
Old 09-23-2012, 05:36 AM

thanks for this. im guessing these codes are historic as there are now no lights or messages. i still wont move but its parked on a slight incline so i cant/dont like to jack it up to check the auto box connections so it will have to wait until i get it looked at (especially as my wifes car has been hit on the offside rear so got to sort that out first!)