X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 manual basket case help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 06:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 manual basket case help needed.

Hello guys I bought a 2002 X-Type 2.5l with manual transmission. The company I bought it from said it had no hope and had been sitting for 10 years. It turned over but no start, the fuel rail looked tampered with. So I accepted the challenge. After reserching this forum and reading many post. I started a plan of action.
First I checked the inertia switch and found it tripped. I reset it and removed the fuel pump fuse. I then accessed the fuel tank and removed the pump and transfer sending unit. after cleaning the tank out and installing a good newer pump unit, fuel filter and blowing out the fuel lines. I primed it up to the fuel rail. The engine would fire but not keep running.
I checked the engine codes and it had 19 codes all over the place, I cleared them. Still wouldn't stay running. Then I found the intake missing half the bolts and not real tight ( bolts spinning the loose nut inserts) So I removed the Intake and replaced all the spark plugs, coils, injectors, both lower plenums, gaskets and Mass airflow sensor. Put it back together and torqued everything.
On second attempt to start it came to life and ran super smooth but had no acceleration beyond 3000 rpm and the red powertrain light and check engine light illuminated. I read the codes again and got a repeated P1229 throttle , P1647 02 sensor, and P1658 flight recorder. I swapped the throttle body and acellerator pedal from another X type I have access to for parts. Now it starts every time but is in limp mode. I have taken both pedel sensors apart and checked the fingers and they all look good.
This morning I went out and it started and was not in limp mode and had great acceleration so I headed out for a drive. The red light came on in about 200 feet and back into limp mode.
I have tried a hard reset on the ECM to re learn the throttle body and pedel sensor but don't think I am doing it right.
I am unhooking the battery negative terminal and touching it to the positive cable for a couple minutes. i then waited a half hour and hooked up the battery. It starts right away and the same codes keep coming up and the radio still has my preset choices still in it's memory and does not ask for a radio code. That is why I don't think it is reseting. I even tried the above procedure and turned the ignition switch to just before start but no change.
This is where I am at and looking for advice on what to check next.
Thanks Ric

Old 10-16-2022, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,946 Likes on 770 Posts

Your P1229 and P1658 are both throttle motor related codes, so I suspect if they have now gone since you swapped the donor throttle body into the car.
Now you hopefully just have the P1647 code to resolve.....
That is the front bank pre-cat O2 sensor with a likely heater failure.
Relatively simple replacement should resolve the issue, but if you wan to check with a meter first then you should have about 2 ohms across the 2 heater wires of the 4 way plug once you disconnect it from the loom.
Faulty sensor will bring up a check light, sometimes will result in limp mode if it thinks there is a chance of poisoning the cat converters.

Sounds like you have taken on a good challenge, there but might be close to ending your quest!

Old 10-22-2022, 10:00 AM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Good work! It sounds like you are getting close.

Keep at it we need to keep the manual transmission cars on the road!

Old 10-23-2022, 08:49 AM

This has been a challenging one. The throttle problem is NOT fixed. It still starts and runs great but the red powertrain light is on and won't rev above 3k rpm. Every once in a while it will start and the powertrain light will be out and it will rev as normal. but after a couple throttle applications the red light comes back on and limp mode again. Still P1229 code on the computer.
I have rang out all the wires from the throttle body to the computer and all have low ohm readings. even actuated the throttle body motor through the wiring from the computer and with a power supply and got throttle plate movement. I have tested the voltage output on the throttle position sensors and are very close to what I should have.

One big note is I do not have B+ on pin 134 of the EN16 connector on the ECM with the engine on or running. I do have power to the throttle motor relay and good continuity from relay output (red/white wire) to the ecm pin 134. I am not showing a ground coming from pin 52 from the ecm to the throttle motor relay.
Both of my throttle bodies have similar readings for the TPS voltages and motor resistance. Motor resistance through ecm harness and throttle motor is 3.9 ohm and open to ground.
At this point I am looking at sending the ECM to Module masters and have it checked out and repaired if needed, And may get a New Jaguar OEM throttle body.
Any thoughts on what move you would do next?
Thanks Ric

Old 10-23-2022, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 756 Likes on 673 Posts
Old 10-23-2022, 01:57 PM

That is the troubleshooting that I used to get this far. Unless I am missing the ending he gets to where I am and that's where the troubleshooting stops. I never saw what fixed the problem.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:36 PM

Still working on this one! I have replace the Throttle body with new Jaguar part, replaced the pedal sensor and have good readings. The wiring checks good. Did have Throttle Motor wires and plug that would not take a load and both were replaced with new. Car is still in limp mode with red power train light. Parts place in Michigan says I need a scanner to let the ECM know the parts were replaced. A local Jaguar mechanic says they are plug and play no reprogramming needed.
Troubleshooting has led me to believe the ECM Throttle driver is the culprit. Anybody do the ECM, Cluster, Key switch swap to avoid reprogramming? Any problems?