X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 jaguar x type bubbling over

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 jaguar x type bubbling over

Hi i have a 2002 x type that is bubbling over in the cooliant resivore but the car is not over heating i also have crusie control not available but crusie works and i also have gear box fauiler but it shifts fine. Can someone help me

Old 08-16-2020, 09:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Schmidtb87, let me clarify what you are meaning by bubbling over. Are you saying that you are getting a lot of bubbles in the overflow bottle? If this is the case, do you notice a lot of white smoke/steam coming from the car when you start it up in the morning? If you answer yes, then odds are you are looking at a bad head gasket. I see 2 things that you can do to confirm this. You can try driving the car a little bit and then getting a test done on the coolant to determine if there are exhaust gases in the coolant (there shouldn't be). If you get a positive test, then that just tells you that you have an issue. The other test is to remove the spark plugs and do a compression test of all 6 cylinders. All 6 cylinders should be up around 150-185 psig. At a minimum, they should all be within 10% of each other. If you have a bad head gasket, you will find 1 or 2 cylinders will have a dramatically different pressure than the other cylinders (ie, most will be say 170 psig and the 1 or 2 cylinders will be down around 50 psig).

One other thing I have to ask is whether you recently did some coolant work and flushed the coolant system. It is possible that you didn't flush the flushing product out well enough and that is causing issues. But, I am going out on a limb with that as you don't mention any coolant system work.

Old 08-16-2020, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Schmidtb87, let me clarify what you are meaning by bubbling over. Are you saying that you are getting a lot of bubbles in the overflow bottle? If this is the case, do you notice a lot of white smoke/steam coming from the car when you start it up in the morning? If you answer yes, then odds are you are looking at a bad head gasket. I see 2 things that you can do to confirm this. You can try driving the car a little bit and then getting a test done on the coolant to determine if there are exhaust gases in the coolant (there shouldn't be). If you get a positive test, then that just tells you that you have an issue. The other test is to remove the spark plugs and do a compression test of all 6 cylinders. All 6 cylinders should be up around 150-185 psig. At a minimum, they should all be within 10% of each other. If you have a bad head gasket, you will find 1 or 2 cylinders will have a dramatically different pressure than the other cylinders (ie, most will be say 170 psig and the 1 or 2 cylinders will be down around 50 psig).

One other thing I have to ask is whether you recently did some coolant work and flushed the coolant system. It is possible that you didn't flush the flushing product out well enough and that is causing issues. But, I am going out on a limb with that as you don't mention any coolant system work.

So when I say bubbling over i mean it leaks out of the bottle on the side but car doesn't over heat and no steam out of the exhaust. And all the rest came back negative. How do I properly burp the cooling system

Old 08-16-2020, 03:45 PM
Veteran member

Schmidftb87, if you are having coolant leak out, then I would venture to bet that you have a cracked fitting on the top/back of the expansion tank. This is known to crack over time and this can lead to leakage like you are seeing. I could see where it could even lead to bubbles.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:01 PM

It would be so much easier to explain over the phone. I don't know if I can but heres my number 307 369 7463. It acts like its over heating but the temp gage doesnt go past the middle mark

Its coming out the top and the bottom im going to try to add another photo. I have a parts jag that i took the resivor off of

It also leaks out of this hole on

Old 08-21-2020, 11:12 PM
Veteran member

In the top picture that you show (the one of the expansion bottle). At the very top edge of the picture, there is a rubber hose going into the expansion bottle, check that, Odds are, that has a crack where the black tubing is touching the tank. This is a common problem and that would cause the coolant to run down the side of the tank like you are seeing.