X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Jaguar X type "Cruise not Available"

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again you're a star. I may as well change the gaskets while I'm there. Thanks for your help. Just waiting for the parts now, I will let you know how I get on.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 729 Likes on 651 Posts

^ p0171*

Old 03-29-2018, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just found out my engine is a 2 liter and not a 2.5. Do you know if these parts I've ordered will fit in a 2 liter.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/English/home

Last edited by Jim Burke; 05-31-2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: wrong pic
The following users liked this post:
liukys (07-18-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 05:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2002 X type 3.0
Bought about a year ago with only 135k mileage.
Been been running fine.
About a couple weeks ago started getting an intermittent "cruise control unavailable" with an intermittent CEL (O2 sensors and catalytic converter).
However, car runs generally fine and smooth, but my brakes seem firm but the breaking force is noticeably different.
So so I am thinking that maybe there is an issue with the vacuum line to the brake booster. When I checked my vacuum hoses, it does have the new ribbed version for the PCV. But when I check the line from the brakebrake booster, it does not have the check valve midline like in the photos in this thread. Additionally, it appears that the L connector into the intake really isn't firm but can sort of "free play" in the intake hole (like not really air tight).

Any thoughts other than brake booster or master cylinder? It just seems strangely coincidental that the "Cruise not available" light, the CEL, and the brakes issue would suddenly occur at the same time. That would lead me to believe that it may be all due to a vacuum leak with the brake booster..

Old 11-11-2018, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

odd....i believe the one way valve in the booster line is pretty essential.
that booster line does feel somewhat "loose" in the intake normally

Old 11-11-2018, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by iownme
odd....i believe the one way valve in the booster line is pretty essential.
that booster line does feel somewhat "loose" in the intake normally
Had for a year, no problems with brakes, engine lights, or anything until very recently. Then looking at the post on this thread, I popped the hood to check the lines and the check valve. It didn't have one as shown in the pics. It just has a line going from the breaker booster nipple to the intake.. but it looks like it could have been cut out and bypassed because it's not just a straight one piece vacuum line.. so apparently this midline check valve is not necessary, based upon empirical data, because my brakes are working fine for a year..

Old 11-11-2018, 07:01 PM

Removed quotation of post deleted by moderator and OP's response thereto..

It certainly isn't a faulty observation when I can see my CEL, see the "cruise unavailable," and feel a difference in my brakes (brake fluid level fine).. it's not a faulty observation that the PCV line is the new ribbed one and that there's no in line check valve in my brake booster line as shown in the pics in this thread.. it's also not a faulty observation that the car has been running fine until about 2 weeks ago..

Last edited by Don B; 11-13-2018 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Removed quotation of post deleted by moderator.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:18 AM
Received 12,922 Likes on 6,457 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidDThornton
2002 X type 3.0 [snip] About a couple weeks ago started getting an intermittent "cruise control unavailable" with an intermittent CEL (O2 sensors and catalytic converter).
However, car runs generally fine and smooth, but my brakes seem firm but the breaking force is noticeably different.
So so I am thinking that maybe there is an issue with the vacuum line to the brake booster. When I checked my vacuum hoses, it does have the new ribbed version for the PCV. But when I check the line from the brakebrake booster, it does not have the check valve midline like in the photos in this thread. Additionally, it appears that the L connector into the intake really isn't firm but can sort of "free play" in the intake hole (like not really air tight).

Any thoughts other than brake booster or master cylinder? It just seems strangely coincidental that the "Cruise not available" light, the CEL, and the brakes issue would suddenly occur at the same time. That would lead me to believe that it may be all due to a vacuum leak with the brake booster..
Hi David,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

I don't know why Dell Gailey made such a rude and shamefully unhelpful post, but don't let it get to you. Maybe he's just having a bad day and when he checks in again he will apologize and offer some helpful advice from his apparent wealth of knowledge.

Regarding your issues, it is certainly possible that a vacuum air leak is at least part of the problem, and you may be able to confirm this with a vacuum pump/gauge or a smoke machine if you have access to one. The fact that you sense a difference in brake pedal feel is suggestive.

You mentioned an intermittent CEL with codes for "O2 sensors and catalytic converter." It might help if you could post the exact Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) that were triggered, since a couple dozen of the Powertrain DTCs can disable cruise control. You can download the Powertrain (P-prefix) DTC Summaries guide at the link below courtesy of our member Gus. Note that Jaguar refer to cruise as "speed control" in this document:

Jaguar X400 X-Type DTC Summaries 2002

Some codes that can inhibit cruise control are C-prefix Chassis codes or U-prefix network codes related to the ABS and DSC systems. These codes cannot be read by most generic OBDII scanners, but instead require a dealer-level Jaguar diagnostic system such as IDS/WDS/SDD, a high end third-party system such as an Autel MaxiSys, Launch X-431, AutoEnginuity with the Jaguar Enhancement, or possibly some of the higher-end Snap On scan tools (which tend to not be as thorough in their coverage of Jaguars and other European makes compared to tools by Autel and Launch). I am attaching the Network DTC Summaries guide. I think I have the Chassis DTC Summaries on another hard drive but will have to look for them tomorrow.

In the meantime, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Attached Files

Last edited by Don B; 11-12-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi David,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

I don't know why Dell Gailey made such a rude and shamefully unhelpful post, but don't let it get to you. Maybe he's just having a bad day and when he checks in again he will apologize and offer some helpful advice from his apparent wealth of knowledge.

Regarding your issues, it is certainly possible that a vacuum air leak is at least part of the problem, and you may be able to confirm this with a vacuum pump/gauge or a smoke machine if you have access to one. The fact that you sense a difference in brake pedal feel is suggestive.

You mentioned an intermittent CEL with codes for "O2 sensors and catalytic converter." It might help if you could post the exact Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) that were triggered, since a couple dozen of the Powertrain DTCs can disable cruise control. You can download the Powertrain (P-prefix) DTC Summaries guide at the link below courtesy of our member Gus. Note that Jaguar refer to cruise as "speed control" in this document:

Jaguar X400 X-Type DTC Summaries 2002

Some codes that can inhibit cruise control are C-prefix Chassis codes or U-prefix network codes related to the ABS and DSC systems. These codes cannot be read by most generic OBDII scanners, but instead require a dealer-level Jaguar diagnostic system such as IDS/WDS/SDD, a high end third-party system such as an Autel MaxiSys, Launch X-431, AutoEnginuity with the Jaguar Enhancement, or possibly some of the higher-end Snap On scan tools (which tend to not be as thorough in their coverage of Jaguars and other European makes compared to tools by Autel and Launch). .I am attaching the Network DTC Summaries guide. I think I have the Chassis DTC Summaries on another hard drive but will have to look for them tomorrow.

In the meantime, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post a required introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don
Don,

Thanks for the reply.. it was exactly the type of reply that I was expecting based upon the other replies I've seen in this thread and others.. I certainly wasn't expecting the worthless waste of time responses of Dell and "Iownme." Seemed purely confrontational and arrogant intent.. no worries.. I hope they sufficiently entertained themselves if that's what they're after.. I'm just wanting to fix my Jag without the unnecessary Drama.. when I figure it out, it would probably even benefit other forum members when I share.. you would think other people would want to know if they ever get the same headache, or a mechanic working on a headache..

I will check this out tomorrow or my next day off as weekend over.. I didn't record the actual codes, so I will have to rerun it.. as well as look at and perform your other suggestions..

Thank you, again for your very detailed reply

Last edited by DavidDThornton; 11-12-2018 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:13 AM

All,

Let's keep the comments constructive and related to resolving the reported automotive malfunctions. There's no place for petty personal insults on this forum. If the childish behavior continues I will discipline offenders and if necessary close this thread.

You have been warned.

Don

Last edited by Don B; 11-12-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

as my help is no longer required on this forum i will bid you all goodbye.
im tired of getting abuse in return for my help here and ive certainly given more help than i have received.
for the (erased) record, in this thread i kindly tried to help the OP and just received a tirade of why the start of my diag was a waste of OP's time, so i gentlemanly stepped out.
not the first time....but it will be the last.

feel free to delete this post too jaguarforums

Old 11-13-2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by iownme
as my help is no longer required on this forum i will bid you all goodbye.
im tired of getting abuse in return for my help here and ive certainly given more help than i have received.
for the (erased) record, in this thread i kindly tried to help the OP and just received a tirade of why the start of my diag was a waste of OP's time, so i gentlemanly stepped out.
not the first time....but it will be the last.

feel free to delete this post too jaguarforums

Well, bye..
Spin your Delusional Pity Party of only trying to "help".. Repeat the LIE enough times, you might even start believing it yourself..

​​Yawn

​​​​If you want to see what real attempt of Objective help looks like, take a look at Don's reply to me, and a plethora of other advice to others throughout this thread and the site..

​​​​

Old 11-13-2018, 03:28 PM

Thread closed. I'm leaving your last posts as they are for posterity. I hope you're proud of yourselves.

Last edited by Don B; 11-13-2018 at 07:11 PM.