X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 X Type 2.5L 6 Cyl Oil Stick Equivalents?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default 2002 X Type 2.5L 6 Cyl Oil Stick Equivalents?

I need to replace just the oil stick (aka dip stick) on my 2002 X Type. The previous owner broke off the original handle and rigged a different handle onto it. The place I get my oil changed says the stick is not reading accurately (too short now I guess).

I have found one Jaguar source for a new OEM part at around $50!!

I read that the engine is a Ford Duratec 25. Surely this engine has also been installed in something other than a Jaguar, thus I would guess that the replacement cost (new) would be closer to $10-$15 in anything else.

Anyone know which other vehicle(s) this engine was used in so I can search the local scrap yard or Ford dealer for another dipstick?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

PanamaJag, you can get the dipstick out of any Ford 2.5L or 3.0L motor. So, you can look at the Fusion, Taurus, Focus, Mondeo, Lincoln LS, Aerostar (or whatever the minivan was), etc. Worst case, take a measurement of your current dipstic and you can relate it to the one you find in the wrecking yard.

The following users liked this post:
PanamaJag (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
.... Worst case, take a measurement of your current dipstic and you can relate it to the one you find in the wrecking yard.
The Oil Change guy told my bride that the stick was not long enough (all kinds of jokes could be inserted here....), so I figured measuring the current one would be out. You confirmed what I thought, now should be easy to find replacement.

Thanks again Thermo - u da man.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:33 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Panama, you don't need to necessarily measure the whole stick, but you would measure from some reference point to the end. I would think that you can measure from where the handle used to be to the end or something of the like.

As for the length of your stick, yes, it would be way too easy for this sailor to make a comment about it. But, this is coming from the guy that lived in the submarine world where 160 guys go down on the sub......... I am sure you can fill in the rest. LMAO.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:52 PM

Found a used replacement for $5.00

All I can say is that Oil Change Guy must have a really calibrated eye - checked oil lvl b4 replacing old stick and level was 1/2 way between add and full on old stick right after new oil change. Maybe should have been 0.501 way on stick???

Still - a wood plug on top of old stick was tacky... new stick more appropriate to Jag heritage

Old 07-25-2014, 07:28 AM
Default Still Not Sure Length Is Correct

The current stick is an aftermarket "universal" stick - so have no real reference for proper length.

Got a used stick from a 2002 Tarus 3.0L 6 Cyl

2002 X Type 2.5L 6 Cyl Oil Stick Equivalents?-dipstick_measure03.jpg

Immediately after new oil change (6 Qts Syn Oil) the level is measuring just below the "Min" mark on new stick.

If someone has a stock 2002 X Type stick, I was wondering if they could measure their stick from the tube stop to the Min/Max marks on the stick. The stick I now have is approx 18" to min mark and 16-7/8" to max mark. (see photos)

2002 X Type 2.5L 6 Cyl Oil Stick Equivalents?-dipstick_measure01.jpg

2002 X Type 2.5L 6 Cyl Oil Stick Equivalents?-dipstick_measure02.jpg

Old 07-25-2014, 08:48 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

You want to drive a Jaguar and won't spend $50 or get the proper dip stick? Hell, save some real money and don't check the oil level at all!!!

Old 07-25-2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_H
You want to drive a Jaguar and won't spend $50 or get the proper dip stick? Hell, save some real money and don't check the oil level at all!!!
Jag was priced right. If I could have found another good car at that price, I would have bought it instead. Not caught up in the name, just want good reliable transportation for a good price. Call me old fashion......

Old 07-25-2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by PanamaJag
Jag was priced right. If I could have found another good car at that price, I would have bought it instead. Not caught up in the name, just want good reliable transportation for a good price. Call me old fashion......
Sorry, Jaguars are not "reliable transportation for a good price" they may be cheap to buy, but that's a different story.

PanamaJag (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 04:55 PM

Sorry, Jaguars are not "reliable transportation for a good price" they may be cheap to buy, but that's a different story.
Starting to realize that myself.. lol

Do not skimp on performance items (plugs/sensors/tires, etc) but, buying a stick in a Ford engine and not paying like it was something else seems like a good opportunity to save up for the other stuff.

BTW... are the two happiest days to a Jag owner the same days as a boat owner?? - Just wondering....

Old 07-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I have to disagree based on my experience. I have a 2005 that I bought in the fall of 2008 with 42K miles on it still under warranty for $12,300. It CAN be reliable...and cheap to buy, but...... Any day now I will have 140K on it and in the almost 6 years I have owned it I would say it has been very reliable. I think the two biggest keys to enhance your chances of having a reliable car are doing your homework on the car ahead of time and then keeping up with maintenance. I spent almost six months looking for the exact car I wanted and during that time I spent hours on this site understanding what the issues might be. Seemed that the early years were the most problematic, 2002-2003 (although a number of people on here have had cars those years that have given them good service). So, I bought a 2005. Not a guarantee that it would be good, but I think enhanced the chances there would be less problems. I make sure I have the fluids changed regularly and make sure that when there is an engine light or I hear a noise or feel the car isn't performing the way it usually does I have it checked out. I have a good relationship with an independent dealer that I have dealt with for 20+ years (shout out to Reina International in Milwaukee). I have had the "usual" issues over the years (water pump, rear lower controls arms and recently an idler pulley). For six years and 100K I do not think that is too bad. I see so many instances on here where a person will just buy an X even knowing that there are issues or they will post about an issue where they ignored a warning sign of trouble for a long time which could make the problem even worse, then blame the car. These cars are far from perfect and do have their quirks ($800-$1000 to change an oil pan gasket), but as mentioned a number of times on here, if you treat it well, it will treat you well. Maybe my expectations are different than some others, but cars do cost money to run and maintain and my experience is that this car has been everything I hoped it would be when I bought it. Are they as simple and easy to work on as some other cars, probably not in some cases. But I think they can be a great buy if you do some work before buying and keep up with maintenance.

PanamaJag (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 11:35 AM

Alfadude, remember he said "reliable transportation at a good price". For you (and me) that is regular and preventative maintenance recognizing the appropriate cost. But for a guy who doesn't want to buy a dipstick the definition of "good price" may be different. I smell minimal and deferred maintenance here and that will come back to bite him in many ways. Finally, these cars have to say something to you and I don't sense that here other than "cheap".

Old 07-26-2014, 08:55 PM
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I wouldn't pay 50 for deepstick.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:00 PM

Wow,

Now that we have confirmed that Tony_H believes I am a cheap so-and-so and do not really deserve own a Jaguar, here is what I have found out.

The 2002 Taurus 3.0L V6 Duratec engine (the engine I got the replacement stick from) requires only 5.2L (5.5 Qts) of oil during an oil change w/filter whereas the 2.5L Duratec in the 2002 Jag X Type requires 5.9L (6.23 Qts) w/filter.

IF the oil change dude actually put all 6 qts of oil in the car he charged me for, the sump would be at least 1/4 qt lower than normal.

While these may not be the entire reason for being just below the Min mark, it is a start. (kinda suspect the oil change volume may not have been totally accurate either...)

I read some chatter on another forum that Ford did some minor redesign to the oil sump (aka slightly smaller) on Duratec engines used for "other than Jag vehicles" about this time (space limitations), but I have not been able to confirm other than that one source.

However, I have read enough here to believe Thermo on this forum knows his stuff.

Would still be interested in knowing what others measure their '02 X Type stock stick to be from tube stop to Min/Max marks......

- Learning something new every day on this forum -

Old 07-27-2014, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Alfadude, remember he said "reliable transportation at a good price". For you (and me) that is regular and preventative maintenance recognizing the appropriate cost. But for a guy who doesn't want to buy a dipstick the definition of "good price" may be different. I smell minimal and deferred maintenance here and that will come back to bite him in many ways. Finally, these cars have to say something to you and I don't sense that here other than "cheap".
I hear what you are saying, Tony. But everyone is different. Me, for something like this I would do a search to see what would be the best price I could find on something and then just buy it and be done with it. Might not be the most cost effective way to do it, but I have a low "pain in the *** factor" than a lot of other people. I just want to be done with it. Someone else could spend a lot of time weighing their options and think something to death before making a decision. Is one better than another? Depends on who you ask, I guess. Everyone is different and has different economic circumstances and how they view the worth of something, whether it is time spent or the value of a dipstick. I try to keep an open mind. On the other hand I have seen a TON of posts where someone keeps posting questions about an issue where you can just tell the end result won't be good either because someone tries to fix something over their abilities or they can't won't spend the money to have something fixed right the first time. Penny wise-pound foolish. Sometimes trying to determine a good balance to that is difficult.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:15 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mountain vs. Mole Hill

You are treating this as a Mountain. Why worry about the length of the dip stick or anything else, just go to the salvage yd and get a stick out of a Jag 3.0L engine for a couple of bucks.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by thegraytribe
You are treating this as a Mountain. Why worry about the length of the dip stick or anything else, just go to the salvage yd and get a stick out of a Jag 3.0L engine for a couple of bucks.
Got a stick I can live with now I know what is going on

Did not start this out as a mountain - just got that way by piling on a simple question.. lol..