X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 x type cruise not available/gearbox fault

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2002 x type cruise not available/gearbox fault

Hi hope you guys are able to assist me. Was driving home one evening and stopped to the gas station and purchased fuel. Shortly afterwards my car displayed "cruise not available/gearbox fault and went into limp mode. The following i purchased lucas gas treatment thinking it was only bad quality gas. this did not work. car remained in limp mode. Therefore i had the codes pulled and it indicated Engine control module/transmission control module as well as a code for o2 sensor. There is also a smell of exhaust and gasoline. Can someone explain to me what is happening and what needs to be done. Thanks much for any assistance.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by satwarez
Hi hope you guys are able to assist me. Was driving home one evening and stopped to the gas station and purchased fuel. Shortly afterwards my car displayed "cruise not available/gearbox fault and went into limp mode. The following i purchased lucas gas treatment thinking it was only bad quality gas. this did not work. car remained in limp mode. Therefore i had the codes pulled and it indicated Engine control module/transmission control module as well as a code for o2 sensor. There is also a smell of exhaust and gasoline. Can someone explain to me what is happening and what needs to be done. Thanks much for any assistance.
Any chance the TCM got wet? Did they clear the codes or just read them, if they cleared the codes did they immediately return?

Old 10-08-2010, 08:36 PM

checked the tcm it appears dry. the codes were read and cleared. afterwards they immediatelt retured. the car is able to drive but it appears as if the tranny is straining.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

checked the tcm it appears dry. the codes were read and cleared. afterwards they immediatelt retured. the car is able to drive but it appears as if the tranny is straining.
It's a good thing I found this forum. I experienced the same issue about two years ago on my 2003 Jaguar X type 3.0. It would drive in limp mode, display the cruise not available/gear box fault message and would appear to jerk if accelerated. After being told from the dealership I would need a new transmission I decided to investigate a little. The issue you are experiencing is related to the J-Gate and the J-Gate needs to be reset. If your car us under warranty check out the Technical Bulletin XT307-01 dated 08/01. I had them perform the repairs free of charge since my car was under warranty. I hope this helps...

Old 10-11-2010, 01:03 PM

thanks. will try and let u know.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:44 PM

thanks guys problem was fuse 67 was blown. the fuse is responsible for the TCM relay.Ichange the fuse and everything works perfect. thanks again

Old 11-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im planning on driving my 2002 Jaguar xtype to New York from Arizona but check engine light and abs light is on.. the car has 113k miles but I'm trying to figure out what services I should have done before traveling.. in need of some help

Old 11-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Carmichael
Im planning on driving my 2002 Jaguar xtype to New York from Arizona but check engine light and abs light is on.. the car has 113k miles but I'm trying to figure out what services I should have done before traveling.. in need of some help
Neil, welcome to the forums.

As for your issues, there are a lot of things that could cause a check engine light to come on. Some very simple, cheap and easy to address, some, not as much. Best thing is to go to one of the chain auto stores and have the codes read and post here or do a search. That will pinpoint things down quite a bit and someone will be able to help you further.

As for the ABS light, could be something like a wheel speed sensor or a reluctor ring that has corroded.

Just a tip for the future, it is probably better to start a new thread instead of adding on to one that is so old. Good luck getting your issues addressed!