X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 x type rear light issues??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 x type rear light issues??

Singles clicking fast and loud, brake lights are on when off brake and turn off when brake pressed?.. reverse lights are solid amber, and rear top brake light flashes with blinker when not on brake

I know alot of issues just looking for a place to start

car is un drivable … just a note all bulbs seem to be working and have check some fuses

thanks!!

Old 10-10-2021, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,999 Likes on 794 Posts

It is only affecting one rear light cluster or both?
If so, then it almost sounds like you might have an earthing problem to that cluster.
Certainly a good place to start to check the local grounding wire continuity to chassis for each tail light assembly.
A bad earth will often have several lights responding to one signal input as voltage tries to find any available alternate pathway to earth (sometimes back thought another light).

Old 10-10-2021, 06:50 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,932 Likes on 3,228 Posts

jag guy 02, I am going with H2O2 on this. I would disconnect both tail lights and see if your 3rd brake light is now functioning properly. Also, as you are disconnecting the plugs, be looking at the male pin side of the plug. I bet you will find that there will be a single pin that is going to be discolored (dark brown/black in color) and the plastic around it will be melted. This will be your ground wire. You don't have that working correctly, your tail lights will do really goofey things.

Now, with this being said, you most likely also have multiple problems here, so, we need to break things down some too. This is where having a multimeter is going to be needed. After verifying you have a good ground connection on both tail lights, disconnect the brake switch under the dash. Does the tail lights work properly at this point (other than the brake light)? If yes, then we have a majority of the issues resolved and your only remaining problem is your brake light switch is failed. If the lights are still doing goofey things, disconnect both tail light switches and reconnect the brake light switch. Now, with the black multimeter lead connected to the body of the car, I want you to take the red multimeter lead and touch the following pins on each tail light connector (measuring for 12 VDC with the car in the RUN position, motor off):

Left Taillight
1 Turn Fog
2 Reverse
3 Stop
5 Running light
7 Fog

Right tail light
1 fog
3 Running light
5 Stop
6 Reverse
7 Turn

I am suspecting that you are going to find 12 VDC on 1 wire on each side. Let me know which one it is and we can take things from there.

One final check. Put the multimeter on resistance and the 2K scale (car can be in any state). Put the black wire to the body of the car and then touch the red lead to the following pins:

Left taillight plug (pin 6)
Right taillight plug (Pin 2)

Did both of these read a very low resistance (less than 1.0 ohms)? If yes, then we have proven you have a good ground wire in the car. So, if you have a silvery colored pin in the connectors (at Pins 2 and 6 accordingly) and this reading is a very low resistance, then we have eliminated a potential ground issue.

My initial guess is you are going to find that you have a ground issue along with a bad brake switch issue. But this is me just looking at diagrams and making some logical leaps. It could possibly be a bad headlight switch, but I would anticipate other indications that you are not mentioning.

Last edited by Thermo; 10-10-2021 at 06:52 AM.