X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 XType manual. Engine Malfunction light ON

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 XType manual. Engine Malfunction light ON

First of all, thank you for always offering help!

my Jag has 75,000 miles on it, mostly driven for less than four months a year in the summer for the last 10 years. Although the body sucks, the engine and components has treated me really well over the years. I put in a new battery in September and have had some weird issues probably related to blown fuses. (Cig lighter hasn’t worked I would like it to use a USB adapter to charge my cell phone when traveling. Puddle lights always on (No big deal). Map reading lights off. Recently, only highbeams workMap reading lights off. Recently, only highbeams work and won’t switch off.

Yesterday, cruise control not working message and amber light came on, Shortly followed by the engine malfunction icon icon. Slowly drove it 5 miles home with glass of power shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd… So lugged it in third home. Thinking this might be “limp mode“. Need to have it checked with the code reader thingy, but my mechanic is out of town till Tuesday. Someone implied that I could take it to AutoZone and maybe have it put on the code reader there??? I have towing on my insurance so would you advise to have it towed and not try to drive it?

from reading on the forum, that icon could mean anything from Aldi‘s gas cap to an entire engine dying. Hoping it’s something simple, like perhaps the diagnostics electronics being out of whack.

Old 01-27-2021, 11:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

Belle, let me look at the diagrams, but what you are describing sounds like you either have a few different problems or you have a GEM module that is starting to go.

Now, on a side note, have you ever replaced the battery cables. The hard shifting/engine issues may be related to a battery cable going bad. This can cause some really strange things to happen to the car. The quick check that you can do is start the car and let it idle. Right after starting the car, turn on both seat heaters, the rear defroster, dash fan on high, and your headlights. Let the car idle this way for around 5-10 minutes (the longer the better). Now, turn off all the electrical and stop the engine. Open the hood and then cup your hands OVER!!!!! both battery posts. Does one terminal feel extremely hot while the other is about the same temp as most of the other parts in the area under the hood? If you have a hot terminal, then that is a sign that your battery cable is toast and needs replaced.

Lets see what you have after this check, then we can go from there. I still think you have other issues, but this may solve a lot of them and then we can sort out what is left. Granted, I would be looking at a new left stalk on the steering wheel as that is the most likely cause for the high beams remaining on. But ,I have a simple check for that too.

The following users liked this post:
Colorado Belle (07-10-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 01:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

Belle, if the door lights (puddle lights) are lit all the time, then you have either a failed GEM module or the wiring to the puddle lights has been damaged and is grounding (causing the lights to remain on). The quick check is to unplug the plugs from the GEM module. If the puddle lights remain on, then you have a wiring issue. If they go out, GEM issue. This check will also prove the overhead light issue too. If you want me to go into more detail on this, let me know.

As for the cigarette lighter. This is most likely a bad fuse. So, you need to look at fuse F68 in the passenger area fuse box. Replace the fuse, even if it looks good. With older fuses, some times they can develop an internal issue and really drive people bonkers because something doesn't work, the fuse looks good, but after replacing the fuse, it all works again. If replacing the fuse does not work, then you will need to access the port and using a multimeter, see if you have 12 VDC on the orange wire with a yellow stripe. If you have 12 VDC, then your cigarette lighter is toast. If you don't have 12 VDC, then you have a wiring issue. If you are suspecting a bad port, then let me know as I have something in mind that is easy to wire up and should make your life a lot easier.

As for the hard shifting, lets get the codes read. Any code reader should give you the info that I am seeking. If you have a local auto parts store just a mile up the road, drive the car to/from. If the check engine light starts flashing, then stop the car and get it towed home.

Lets see what you have with these latest checks and then we can go from there.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
BlownKitty (01-29-2021), Colorado Belle (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 07:53 PM
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Fantastic and easy to understand advice as usual Chris!