X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 jaguar xtype not starting not cranking

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 jaguar xtype not starting not cranking

My car 2003 jaguar xtype not starting, not cranking for a week now, it show security failed on dashboard and red alarm light between front seats keep blinking, by the way I have to original key fob both stopped working, I need help

Last edited by Amir1969; 03-03-2023 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2023, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Amir1969
My car 2003 jaguar xtype not starting, not cranking for a week now, it show security failed on dashboard and red alarm light between front seats keep blinking, by the way I have to original key fob both stopped working, I need help

motorcarman

and NBCat

Might be of some help.

TBB

Old 03-04-2023, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,371 Likes on 1,869 Posts

Hard to say with so little info?

First where do you live? In case there might be someone close by to help? A long shot but you never know.

Do you have a scanner and do you know how to use one? If not do you know a shop or someone who does?
Can you post complete car details when asking questions? We know it's a 2003 X-Type but the drive train and mileage are important too.
Have you had other problems? How did you fix them? Was the car in working condition before all this happened?

And the most common one: How old is your battery?

Sorry but without getting more info I will be of little help?

The following users liked this post:
Amir1969 (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1

First where do you live? In case there might be someone close by to help? A long shot but you never know.

Do you have a scanner and do you know how to use one? If not do you know a shop or someone who does?
Can you post complete car details when asking questions? We know it's a 2003 X-Type but the drive train and mileage are important too.
Have you had other problems? How did you fix them? Was the car in working condition before all this happened?

Sorry but without getting more info I will be of little help?
This 2003 jaguar xtype with 102k miles, it has check engine but never broke and I drive every day, this car is AWD

Old 03-05-2023, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Amir1969
This 2003 jaguar xtype with 102k miles, it has check engine but never broke and I drive every day, this car is AWD
What codes do you have with the check engine light? All- X-types are AWD. Is this a 2.5 or 3.0 engine? What is the condition of the battery?
What were you doing before you this happened/ Are these the original keys that came with the car or do you know if they have ever been refitted before?

Jazz

Old 03-05-2023, 09:22 PM
Default About my 2003 jaguar xtype

[QUOTE=clubairth1;2620188]Hard to say with so little info?

The codes I have always are P0420 and P0442
but car drives fine

replaced the battery with new one, it didn't fix the problem
engine 3.0
This car I was using for 2 years with no problem, I just parked it for 1 week without driving it and I remember I replaced battery in both keyfobs
I am located in Dallas Texas

Old 03-05-2023, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Amir1969;2620670]
Originally Posted by clubairth1

The codes I have always are P0420 and P0442
but car drives fine

replaced the battery with new one, it didn't fix the problem
engine 3.0
This car I was using for 2 years with no problem, I just parked it for 1 week without driving it and I remember I replaced battery in both keyfobs
I am located in Dallas Texas
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...y-failure-682/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...bs-2056/page2/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-start-190441/

Thermo

shula, it may be that your key tumbler is starting to go and what is happening is you are not getting the voltage sent to the key. When the key sees this voltage, it then transmits a signal back with a special number (unique to your car and key combination). If this number matches what is in the ECU, then ECU then allows the car to start. If it doesn't, then it sends out a different signal to flash the red light on the center console.

What you can try doing is gently pushing the keyfob away from you as you rotate it to START or pulling it towards you as you roll it to START. What you may find is that if you push on the key in a certain direction, it will work every time. If this is the case, then your tumbler is going and you will need a new one.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XT501-23.pdf (27.1 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by jazzwineman; 03-05-2023 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 06:09 PM
Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzwineman
What codes do you have with the check engine light? All- X-types are AWD. Is this a 2.5 or 3.0 engine? What is the condition of the battery?
What were you doing before you this happened/ Are these the original keys that came with the car or do you know if they have ever been refitted before?

Jazz
All X Types are not AWD and all are not 2.5 or 3.0 Litre engines. All X Types are not only U.S. ones!

Old 03-06-2023, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Yorta2
All X Types are not AWD and all are not 2.5 or 3.0 Litre engines. All X Types are not only U.S. ones!
The ones in the US are.. Regardless- can you help the man with his problem?

Jazz

Old 03-06-2023, 08:21 PM
Red face

The ones in the US are.. Regardless- can you help the man with his problem?

Jazz
Unfortunately, I can't help the guy. However, it is important that we don't mislead other members of the forum so, to also inform you, in 2003 a 2.0 litre diesel was introduced as well as a 2.1 litre petrol version. Whilst the USA didn't import the 2.1 petrol version, both that one and the 2.0 diesel version have been privately imported to the US and some members of this forum have those varieties. I hope you can assist this bloke further.

Old 03-06-2023, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, I can't help the guy. However, it is important that we don't mislead other members of the forum so, to also inform you, in 2003 a 2.0 litre diesel was introduced as well as a 2.1 litre petrol version. Whilst the USA didn't import the 2.1 petrol version, both that one and the 2.0 diesel version have been privately imported to the US and some members of this forum have those varieties. I hope you can assist this bloke further.
I am not sure anyone here wants or needs to be lectured on misleading about anything. I am trying to help a man in need and with the nature of his problem it would not make any difference on the X-Type "type" car. He has a key that needs to be programmed. I think I will take the Sinatra view on Australia and leave it at that although I have found it a beautiful country when visiting and most of the people very friendly.

TBB

Old 03-06-2023, 09:21 PM

I am not sure anyone here wants or needs to be lectured on misleading about anything. I am trying to help a man in need and with the nature of his problem it would not make any difference on the X-Type "type" car. He has a key that needs to be programmed. I think I will take the Sinatra view on Australia and leave it at that although I have found it a beautiful country when visiting and most of the people very friendly.

TBB
You obviously missed my point. If you put misleading information on one post, it may affect an entirely different member with an entirely different situation. I'm happy to leave it at that! My opinion of the USA has nothing to do with this whole thing, and if it causes you grief that I am an Australian and it might make you see my country differently, then I guess I will just add that my father once told me, "You can tell a Yank, but you can't tell them much". Maybe you are that Yank.... Cheers.

Old 03-06-2023, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member

You obviously missed my point. If you put misleading information on one post, it may affect an entirely different member with an entirely different situation. I'm happy to leave it at that! My opinion of the USA has nothing to do with this whole thing, and if it causes you grief that I am an Australian and it might make you see my country differently, then I guess I will just add that my father once told me, "You can tell a Yank, but you can't tell them much". Maybe you are that Yank.... Cheers.
I got your point, but trying to deal with this specific problem which is really a PIA for the owner. I have never understood why Jag even made the X-type. No grief about you being Australian. I was complimentary about your country. Hey- both our countries were under British rule at one time, so we have many things in common. A "Yank"- come now... I am a Dodger fan!

Have a good evening.

TBB