Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 x type 3.0 won't start, no crank, security failed

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 07:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 x type 3.0 won't start, no crank, security failed

Let's start with a story.....
I was at work and when it was time to go home, my x type wouldn't start. The key would turn and there was plenty of clicking under the hood but it wouldn't crank or anything.
I checked the battery and it was fine. Checked all of the fuses and they were fine, so my son and I replaced the starter.
Still no crank.
It was at this time that I noticed that the dash had a message that said SECURITY FAILED and there was a red light flashing on the console by the shifter. Disconnected the battery and tried to reset the CPU by connecting the battery cables together overnight while I trickle charged the battery (it had been about a week since it stopped running)

I called a good locksmith in town and talked to him about key transponders and he came by and checked the key and then checked the transponder ring on the cylinder and said that they were both good. He said it must be the CPU isn't recognizing the transponder for some reason and couldn't help me.
Finally I called a tow truck and had it towed to my house. I told him this same wonderful story and he recommended that I call a company in Florida called All Computer Resources to see if they could skim my CPU to bypass the security system. He had done it on a jeep of his that had a similar issue.
I called the company and of course they don't do any work on Jaguar cpu's.

It's been a month since it stopped working and I'm running out of options.
The nearest dealership is 600 or so miles away and I can't afford to take it all that way.
Does anyone have any ideas of what I can try?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-17-2023, 07:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,890 Likes on 3,197 Posts

TheBdog, keep in mind that your security system consists of 3 parts. You have the key/transponder, the instrument cluster, and the ECU. You have to have comms between the instrument cluster and the ECU to pass the key number back and forth. So, from what you have stated, the transponder is working, but is the key still being recognized. This is where using a second key will tell you if you lost the programming. If a second key starts the car, then you know you have a bad key and will need to get a new one soon. TRUST US, you DO NOT want to be in a position of a failed key and no second key. It gets pretty expensive pretty fast.

So, now you are looking at either a bad instrument cluster or bad ECU. Because the light is flashing on the center console, this would lead me to believe that your instrument cluster is good. So, this is kinda leaving only your ECU as being the problem. This is where your best course of action is going to be to find something called SDD. SDD is the Jaguar software for programming and diagnosing your car. If you look on places like e-bay, you can find many copies of it out there. Along with the software, you are going to need a "Mongoose Pro" cable specifically for a Jaguar. You can then get the software installed on a laptop and connect the laptop to the car. This will let you see where you are loosing your signal as you can put the SDD software into a mode to see the modules working as you turn the key. From there, you can also program new modules if needed or get into the car far enough to program new keys. Getting them cut will still need the locksmith if you end up there.

Get get a working SDD system, you can probably plan on spending $300 USD or so, assuming you have a workign laptop already. But, in your case, sounding like that is going to be a lot cheaper than any other options you have.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
DaveAllen (06-17-2023), TheBdog (06-23-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the advice, Thermo.
​​​​​​