Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 x-type lhd headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 03:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2003 x-type lhd headlamps

Hi Y´all
Desperatey need a pair of headlamps for my 2003 V6 X-Type.
Main dealers quote in the region of 900 euros.....Please can somebody help me keep my Jag legal here in Sunny Spain.
Thanks here hoping 4 help
Simon

Old 09-03-2012, 04:26 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Simon and Maggy,

Please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and introduce yourselves and your X-Type to all the members.

We've UK expat members who have taken their XJ's and XK's to mainland Europe and had to go through the pain and expense of headlamp conversion to pass inspection in their new country of residence.

Do you need LH dip European Type Approved headlamps or temporary conversion? According to the X-Type Driver's Handbook, the headlamps can be adjusted for touring:

This will flatten the beam but is not a true conversion.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails 2003 x-type lhd headlamps-x-type-headlamp-touring.jpg  
Old 09-03-2012, 04:42 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Welcome to the forum Simon.

I recently converted the lights on my RHD XJR to be legal on the continent.

Maybe this helps you https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...adlamps-73200/

Old 09-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Simon, first off, like GGG said, welcome to the forums. I think you will find a lot of knowledgeable people around here. We are a friendly bunch and will help you do whatever you want to do to your car. But, being the friendly type, we also like to get to know one another. So, please, stop by the "New Member" section and introduce yourself and your kitty.

As for fixing your headlights. You have a few options as I see it assuming what you are talking about is the internals of the headlight have broken (common issue). now comes the question of how much work you want to do verses how much you are willing to spend. Removing the headlights from the car is not difficult, but does take about an hour of time. You will need a T-27 torx bit, a T-20 torx bit, a 10mm socket and the associated socket wrench. That is all the tools that will be needed to remove the front bumper. From there, the headlights pop right out. So, if you need me to go into more detail about how to remove the front bumper, let me know. Not hard at all.

As for repairing/replacing the headlights, this is where you need to make a decision. The cheap fix (cost you under 5 euro more than likely) is to remove the headlights from the car, open up the back of the headlights by removing the black rubber covers, there you will see 4 posts that have broken. Re-align the pieces, mix up some of the 2 part epoxy glue, and glue the parts back together (let set for most of a day if at all possible). I would also recommend getting some long nylon tie straps (zip ties) and putting them in there too to help provide some support. Once the epoxy is dry and set up really good, reinstall and put the bumper cover back on and you should be good to go.

If you are looking to not take that much time, I would say to look at your local auto recyclers (auto wreckers) and see if any of them have a set of headlights that would work for you. Keep in mind that the headlights for these cars came in 2 styles, halogen bulb and HID style. You need to make sure that you get the correct style. Otherwise you can just complicate things significantly. You should be able to get a pair of headlights for under hopefully 400 euro. Then you can follow the same guidelines I mentioned above and replace the headlights yourself, requiring about 90 minutes of time.

If you have halogen bulbs and the internals of the headlights appear to be solidly mounted (can give them a gentle push with your hand, if they are broken, you will feel the inside move very easily), then your problem is the fact that the clip that plugs the wiring to the bulb is bad. This clip is known for failing due to the extreme heat it is subjected to. If this is the case, you need to get your hands on an "H1 replacement socket". You will need 2 since it appears both sides are not working. These can be gotten at the local auto parts store for around 4 euro each. From there, you will need to remove the headlights from the car, open up the DIP beam side of the headlight, cut off the old connector and then splice in the new connector.

If I am talking over your head, let me know. I will explain things differently. Putting a little more information as to how the headlights have failed will help people like me give a much more precise answer as to what you need and what it will cost you.