Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 X-Type Piston Rings

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 2003 X-Type Piston Rings

Hello,

I need to have my piston rings replaced. Can anyone tell me what type my '03 X-type uses? It's a 2.5L. I'm looking for the bore size in inches, the top ring thickness and second ring thickness.

Can someone help me?

Old 06-21-2013, 11:45 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

monicagregory,

What makes you believe you need "new rings"?

If the piston rings in your engine are worn out, the likelihood is the entire engine needs to be "refreshed" - rings, bearings, pistons, seals, gaskets, etc etc.

When piston rings wear out, the hole (cylinder) the piston runs up and down in is also usually quite worn, too. The fix for that is to bore all the cylinder holes out to a bigger size, and put new, larger pistons in the engine - along with new, larger piston rings.

Changing the rings involves taking the engine (and transmission) out of the car, and taking it completely apart. It is not like changing the spark-plugs or some-such!

It is very labor intensive.

If the engine is actually worn enough to need rings, it usually means the oil was rarely changed in it. It also very likely needs every other internal part replaced or re-machined! Then it needs to be precisely re-assembled, and then everything put back into the car.

If the rings are actually worn out, the cheaper way to address the issue is to simply purchase a used engine (click the link, type ENGINE into the box and then click the "Filter" button) that is good, and have the old engine replaced.

If the engine is just burning oil - not leaking it - it's possible it is simply worn out. But... you can buy a LOT of quarts of oil for the price of an engine removal / rebuild / replace.

A quart of WalMart oil with every full tank of gas would be more cost effective than "replacing the rings", to the tune of maybe 800 to 1,000 full tanks of gas!

Just drive 'er 'til she drops, unless drivability is an issue.

Tell us what the car is doing: you'll get the "straight skinny" from the folks in this forum on how to get it fixed.

Who told you you need (only) the top two rings on the piston replaced? The same shop that changed out your throttle-body (mentioned in an earlier post)? Did they tell you it is time to change out the "winter air" to "summer air" in the tires, too?

PS - I am sure I am not the only one in the forum that thinks your throttle-body problem may have been an unnecessary replacement - that the problem was probably just a minor vacuum leak that threw a couple of random codes.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 X-Type Piston Rings-dsc00176.jpg  

Last edited by Bruce in North Dakota; 06-21-2013 at 11:48 PM.