Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 X-Type wheels advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2003 X-Type wheels advice

hello guys,

I bought my baby Jag with some bad wheels (chiped, not perfectly roudn, etc). I would like, but since I am not able to find original wheels for it, I am looking for some extra market wheels.
I have read all your posts regarding this issue but I am still unsure what exactly I need to buy because I want to avoid all the problems (rubbing, etc.).

My vehicle is a 2003 and it has 16" on it. I would like to go for 17" for look purposes but not higher since I do not want to compromise the ride. I am looking to buy some wheels that can be cleaned easy because the ones I have right now are a real pain.

I am living in Canada and I will not buy winter wheels so these ones will run summer and winter. This is another reason I will probably not go for more than 17".
I am looking for something that will also not afect the aristocratic look of the jag as well.
I have read about offset and all that jazz over three days now and I am still under pressure because as I have read in here that the offset is the one that it keeps the center of the rim in line with the center of the wheel bearing.
Since I would like to reduce the stress as much as possible and maximize the wheel bearing and suspension components life, will you be guys kind to give me your advice?

I would also like to know where I can find some nice wheels and which will be the best off set to go for since I am unable to find original wheels.

I can buy wheels from this store http://www.1010tires.com/ but when I am choosing wheels in the search area isa saying X-Type with 17" tires option. What that means? I must have a special option in my 2003 since it is running in 16"?
Saddly, it seems that the selection si not that wide neither...

I am also open to tire opinions, this is another reason I am decided to do this because I need to buy new tires as well.
Which are the best all-season tires and also quiet? The BF Goodrich that I have right now are really noisy.

I thank you in advance!

Old 09-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just FYI:
I have an 02 Sport (I think the sport models are lower than non sport ones from the factory). I have 18" x 8" rims on my car with 225/40/18 tires and there is no rubbing or an other issues. I believe the offset on my wheels is +38.
I happen to think the ride quality is excellent with 18's. My car came with 17's and there really isn't that much of a difference in ride quality between the 2 sizes. It does handle a little better with 18's.
I can't give any advice on tires since it doesn't snow where I live.

Good luck,
Paul

Old 09-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Would you be interested in wheels like these? The OEM 7 Flute 17x7.

All 4 wheels have curb rash. There is a dent on one lip toward the underside of the car...very small. All 4 have center caps. There are summer tires on them with tread left.

If not...I purchased Momo Winter last year. Here is the thread with pictures of the wheels on the car -> https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=10126

Let me know if you are interested in the Flute wheels.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 X-Type wheels advice-7flute.jpg   2003 X-Type wheels advice-momowinter.jpg  
Old 09-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

tracus, you can also use Tirerack.com./ They have all in shipping quotes and great service to Canada. Buy tires and wheels from them and they come mounted so you don't have the extra expense. I believe they use the Hunter Roadforce Balancing as well. When you search, just put in 17" and they will come back with wheels that fit (proper offset, etc). For tires, I tried the reasonably priced Kumho Exsta ASX and have been happy with them 3000 km in. Quiet and still handle quite well due to stiff sidewalls. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:09 PM

Hello guys,

I appologize for answering so late, I was away from my house for this week-end.
Paulxtype and mohrd, I truly apreciate your input.

91stealthes, I thank you for your offer but I am looking for new wheels. I refused to repair mine just because I am sure they will not be like new anyway, and I really want wheels that have the protective clearcoat untouched. Regarding the winter wheels you have, I thank you for the offer but I am not interested, I am lookig for a different kind of design.

However, today I was to TunerWorks to se what they can offer me.
The guy from tunerworks told me that the "one-piece" wheels are not good because the HUB dimension is not made for a specific car (Jaguar in our case) and that they need to put a plastic adaptor in the hub but this is not good.
My question is WHY doesn't work? Is that important?

He suggested me to order a pair specially made for my car, a "two-piece" wheel that will fit properly. But that will cost me at least double than "one-piece" wheels.

What do you think?

Last edited by Tracus; 09-21-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd agree with mohrd - order online from Tirerack or Discount Tire Direct. They do have some selection. Get both the tires and wheels balanced and at your door. Easy.

They will include hub spacers if needed (aluminum, not plastic) for proper fit. The spacers only space the distance around the hub correctly, they don't make the wheels stick out any farther. I"m not sure what your guy is jabbering about with 1pc or 2pc wheels, I don't know what big difference that would make.

Here is a link - they have 11 types of wheels for your car. http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...id=008036&fcb=

You can then custom build a package by selecting a tire and they will mount and balance them and send em' to you.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:28 PM

Hi Chris,

The guy is saying that a HUB is very important and if the wheel si special made for that specific vehicle it is better since no adaptor is needed and it will not leave room to play.

One-part wheel versus two-part wheel.
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech....jsp?techid=90

Now, what offset should I choose?

Since my wheels are 16" x 6.5, if I am going for 17 x 7 what offset should I choose to be sure everything si good and I am keeping the stress as low as possible?
I think 46 mm is the right one, right?

Last edited by Tracus; 09-21-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:08 PM

Tracus,

I'm in Canada as well and got my 17" from WheelsNext (www.wheelsnext.com). They are in the US like Tirerack.com but they take care of taxes and duties so you don't get a nice surprise when you get your package; everything is already paid for. They can also get a bunch of wheels that are not shown on their website so it's worth calling them if you don't find something that you like when using their search engine.

They guarantee fitments so you don't have to worry about getting the right wheels.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

The aluminum hub spacer has zero play. Zero. It works just fine. Yes hub dimensions are very important, the spacer takes care of that without a problem.

You are over-thinking this Tracus. If you select your vehicle on either the Tirerack or DTD website you will get the correct wheels that fit.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:38 AM

Like Chris X said, the hubcentric rings work just fine. The reason they are trying to get you to buy the two piece is, like you said, they cost twice as much. A hubcentric ring has only one purpose which is to keep the wheel centered on the hub until the lug nuts are tightened. Once the lug nuts are tighted, the hub centric ring has done it's job and no longer has a purpose until the next time you take the wheel off.

I just replaced my rims yesterday (from the ones in the pic in my signature) and can hopefully take some pics to post soon.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:29 PM

Discount Tire will have more rims available in the near future as well.

My Momo Winter's were purchased from Discount Tire. Lugs included and all.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

Being you are running in summer and winter...be very wary of Chrome and alot of the wheels out there...hence the reason I bought wheels made specifically for winter. Most aftermarket wheels are known not to hold up well to the elements

Old 09-23-2009, 06:06 PM

Hello guys,

I am really thankful for all your replies. This is why I really love this forum

I have decided on the wheels. I am buying this ones:

The specs:

Manufacturer: Rial - Germany
Model: Como 17
Offset: 47mm Backspacing: 6.02" Bolt Pattern: 5-108
Rec. tire size 225/45-17
Weight: 22.8lbs.

LINK

I can not attach the picture

Attached Thumbnails 2003 X-Type wheels advice-rial-como.jpg  

Last edited by Tracus; 09-23-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:01 AM

Good choice! Those will look really nice. Post some pics when you get them on the car.

Paul

Old 09-24-2009, 10:16 AM

Very nice!

Those were in the running for me as well, though I couldn't find anyone who actually had them.

Good Luck!

Old 09-26-2009, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Tracus, PM sent with an option for you.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracus
Hello guys,

I am really thankful for all your replies. This is why I really love this forum

I have decided on the wheels. I am buying this ones:

The specs:

Manufacturer: Rial - Germany
Model: Como 17
Offset: 47mm Backspacing: 6.02" Bolt Pattern: 5-108
Rec. tire size 225/45-17
Weight: 22.8lbs.

LINK

I can not attach the picture
I have those exact wheels for my X. I use them with as my winter wheels. They look great

Old 09-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a pic of my X with these wheels. Taken with my phone so its not the best, but you get the idea.

Attached Thumbnails 2003 X-Type wheels advice-copy-img00014-20090418-1735.jpg  
Old 09-28-2009, 09:48 AM

It looks good man.
Mine are not in yet but I am waiting for them. I am looking at tires right now.

These are the candidates:

Michelin Primacy MXV4
Bridgestone Potenza RE960A S Pole osition
Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season

Any suggestions?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whatever you do try going for the best winter weather tire you can find (all season tire that has best ratings in snow.) Too bad you didn't go 18", they add a lot of look without affecting the ride too bad. Either way those wheels are very similar to some stock jag wheels so they will look good.

Here are some 18's I had on mine...

Old 09-29-2009, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member

Why don't you run your OEM wheels with dedicated snow tires in the worst winter months and then run your new wheels with performance tires in the warmer months? That way you maximize performance in both seasons, and you don't ruin your new wheels with road salt and junk?

That is the technique I use and my aftermarket 17's still look great after 4 years, and I don't have to put up with the compromises that are inherent in all-season tires.

I run the winter wheels November - late March and the summers the rest of the time. Being in Canada you'd probably run them a little longer.

Quick Reply: 2003 X-Type wheels advice