X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 X-Type wheels advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or, come join me in the south eastern, US where we don't have any snow and you can have performance tires on all year long.

Please bring some hockey lovers with you as these southern folk don't quite understand anything beyond college football.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Aquill 1,
I like your wheels. They are simple and nice.
The reason for not choosing the 18 is because I do not want to compromise the ride and I know that I have more "oportunities"to scratch them.

Chris X,
Well, besides the Jag (which I use everyday) I do have another car which I use only in the Summer.
I really HATE to change wheels, I love my Jag as is and I am really keen with the car but since is an AWD I don't think I need another set of wheels. I will keep the OEM for the next owner (they have BFGoodrich All-season on them) and they are not the best ones and I managed to go through a really harsh winter (last one), the harshest one I have seen so far. And if you can drive a FWD without the proper tires then an AWD with good tires will make a big difference. Also the winter in here is really long, starts in October (this Saturday we expect snow) and goes in April-May. Many times you will see people who put the summer tires too soon and suddenly a snow shows up and they are stuck.

PaulXType,
I thank you for the offer, I will gladly come to a warmer place...
regarding the hockey, I must dissapoint you, I do not know anything about it...
I am from Europe and I am more interested in Formula 1 and Racing.

I must say that I envy you for the fact that you guys run in performance tires all year long... Damn!

Old 09-29-2009, 10:31 AM

Here is my car today..

I can't attach it. Sorry

Admin, you should do something about this problem with the attachements. Is too restrictive ...

Last edited by Tracus; 09-29-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Well if you choose to run one set all year long, might I suggest you put a healthy coat of wax on those new wheels to help protect them from the winter elements.

Also, look for a set of tires that lean toward cold weather compounds and more aggressive tread, since you drive something else in the summer. I suggest Continental Extreme Contacts, I have them on my Saab and they run very well in the winter snow, slush, and ice.

And don't tell your neighbors you don't know hockey, they might throw you out of Canada.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

91stealhes- PM sent on you wheels

Old 09-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With 18's the ride wasn't really any worse. I also had the sport model which is a little stiffer. Scratching isn't a problem with rims, bending them is...BTW this is also what salt/heat/cold/brake dust/snow can do, one word of advice would be to keep the rims clean.

My 17's rubbed more than my 18's did...

Old 09-29-2009, 09:19 PM

Wow man, that is some serious damage...

I like the other ones better.

I would keep the rims clean that's for sure. However, Rial offers 5 years warranty on paint so I should be fine...

Old 10-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Those 17's came on the car. All it took was one Michigan winter and they were screwed. Just make sure you clean the rims really good and at least once or twice a week. The car was cleaned at least once a week and they still turned out like that.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 AM

I assume the lip was chrome and this is kinda common with these wheels...

Tha aluminium with a plastic over it or painted wheels are better for winter.

I was reading on RIAL's website that they have a good warranty on paint job so I think they will be fine. If not, **** happens, I will see.

I am still waiting for the wheels. I have oredered Michelin Primacy MXV4.
They haver the best rating in quietness, handling, winter traction and comfort. I will let you know how is the ride.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

It's a toss-up. Most of the polished aluminum wheels have a clearcoat over them, as do the painted ones. It will just come down to how **** you are about keeping them clean. Bending them is the hardest part to avoid, sometimes you don't see that 2ft pothole until you are in it.

I hope that you don't have problems and if you do the wheel company stands behind its warranty without all kinds of fine print b.s. and extra charges. I wouldn't trust em.

The Michelin's are a solid tire, a good choice short of dedicated snow tires. I've found that getting going is not the problem, it's the stopping that gets hairy, and that's dependent on your tire compound.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Nope, not chrome they were aluminum lip with the crappy plastic coating. It doesn't really matter what it is, everything gets corroded.

Just keep them clean and get brake dust off of them. It seemed like the combination of salt, cold, heat, brake dust and water went to town on them. The painted silver parts will be fine it's anything that has metal exposed (regardless of coating) that get torn apart. I had a set of mangel brand rims on my truck that had the exact same problem.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member

^ yep, agree with you there.

I did use the product "Zoop Seal" on a set of aluminum rims I had for my old Saab 900 turbo. It was a pain in the butt to use (had to have the tires off) and it is kinda expensive, but it works good to repel just about everything. I know the truckers love the stuff for all of the chrome and diamond plate they have.

If I were running nice chrome or aluminum lipped rims in the winter, I'd probably spend the $ and take the time to coat them with Zoop.

http://www.zoopseal.com/

Old 10-31-2009, 05:50 PM

Ok, my wheels came in, TunerWorks put them on, they look nice.
I took the car home last night, today I was planning to wash the car. Surprise! My wheels are rubbing my interior plastic covers!!!!

I am really really disappointed...
DZTT, home come they work for you ?

I really don't know what to say, and now I am stuck with a set of wheels that don't fit. The tires are 225/45/17..

And I just throw away
1800 bucks...

I am starting to hate this car... really...

Old 11-01-2009, 10:05 AM

hello guys,

Does somebody use the same specs in the wheels?
If yes do you have rubbing problems?

Old 11-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

What is the wheel width? 17 x ? If they are 7" wide there should be no rubbing but if the are 8" wide, you may need a thin spacer to bring them out slightly. Or, do they only rub on the front when you turn them fully left or right? The tire itself could be slightly larger than another tire. There is very little space to go above 25" with any set up.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Tracus, I went on Tire Rack's website and had a look at the specs for both your wheels and tires. Should be no rubbing. Are you sure you don't have a loose liner?

Old 11-01-2009, 12:38 PM

hello mohrd,

First of all thanks for your reply!

The tires are rubbing only when max turn.
The liners are a litle bit "inflate" towards the tire...
I was thinking today to gram a gun heater and try to push them in...

Any ideas? I really love the wheels though

Last edited by Tracus; 11-01-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

How bad are they rubbing? When you are turned to the max, is it damaging the tire or damaging the black liner or just touching it? My 17's rubbed worse than my 18's, but either one wasn't to where I wanted to get rid of the car.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:17 PM

Hey Aquill,

I bought these wheels because I wanted new wheels. I always wanted new OEM rims but the dealer has an insane price and I wasn't able to find new ones anywhere else.

I have replaced many things in this car and it seems like always is something...

Anyway, I went to the car wash today (yesterday I was so upset that I gave up) and put the car in the garage.
I grabbed my hair dryer and with a new pair of garden gloves I start heating the liner and push it towards back.
It seems that it worked and now is good. i will put some pictures tomorrow for others to see.

Sure I was mad, I was thinking already: " Now I must buy two liners too... *&^#@*

Oh, I wish to had this car brand new... then everything would be different.

Last edited by Tracus; 11-01-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member

If you do get some pics up we could help you come up with some ideas of how to eliminate the rubbing. If they only rub at full lock it's not that big of an issue. But we need to see where they rub......Using the heat gun is a good idea.

On my jeep I had some rubbing issues with 33 inch tires. A sawzall took care of that. LOL...of course that wouldn't be the way to go in the Jag. But some strategically placed zip ties (cable ties) on the inner liner could solve the problem.

Quick Reply: 2003 X-Type wheels advice