X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 X-Type Gear Selecting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 04:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2004 X-Type Gear Selecting Issues

My 2004 X-Type 3.0l Awd moves forward when I shift in reverse and when I shift into neutral. I had an issue with a couple of the shift solenoids so I replace the transmission valve body. I followed the directions from the workshop manual. Did I miss a step that's not in thed manual? I want to add that the J-Gate Illuminates on each gear when selected. The tranny doesn't jerk when it engages. The transition is smooth thru each gear selected. What could be causing this to occur?

Old 03-13-2024, 05:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

Rcameron24, it would sound like you either missed a layer of gasket somewhere or when you put the valve body on the tranny, you shifted the valve body a little bit and now the gasket is not sitting where it should be. That would be my guess, but wihtout being able to touch the car, I am merely giving it a best guess.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Rcameron24, it would sound like you either missed a layer of gasket somewhere or when you put the valve body on the tranny, you shifted the valve body a little bit and now the gasket is not sitting where it should be. That would be my guess, but wihtout being able to touch the car, I am merely giving it a best guess.
What gasket are you referring to? Are you talking about the O-rings that sit behind the valve body? Besides those, there isn't any other gaskets present.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:19 AM
Veteran member

Rcameron, the valve bodies that I have messed with had a thin rubber gasket that set between the valve body and the tranny itself. If the Jag does not have that, then I would be questioning one of the o-rings is not seated properly and it is letting fluid reach places that it shouldn't, causing the tranny to not shift gears properly.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:41 AM

Rcameron, the valve bodies that I have messed with had a thin rubber gasket that set between the valve body and the tranny itself. If the Jag does not have that, then I would be questioning one of the o-rings is not seated properly and it is letting fluid reach places that it shouldn't, causing the tranny to not shift gears properly.
Thanks for the info. Do you think the gear selector cable maybe misaligned?

Old 03-14-2024, 03:50 PM
Veteran member

Rcameron24, if that is the case, then I would expect you to be able to put the car say in "Park" and actually have the car be in reverse and it would move. I would suspect that you would be off by one gear position, but not much more than that. This is where a little bit of playing may be needed. The car will still start as the lock out for starting the car (ie, the car is not in PARK or NEUTRAL) is based on the position of the gear shifter, not the actual position of the tranny. But, this also puts you in a bad position because you can think you are in PARK, take your foot off the brake and roll into something else or you think you have it in DRIVE and you step on the gas and the car could lurch backwards (tranny is actually in REVERSE). I think you can see where this is bad. So, during your playing, keep your feet near the brake and be ready to step on the brakes hard to not cause damage to anything around you or to your car.

Old 03-15-2024, 10:44 AM

Rcameron24, if that is the case, then I would expect you to be able to put the car say in "Park" and actually have the car be in reverse and it would move. I would suspect that you would be off by one gear position, but not much more than that. This is where a little bit of playing may be needed. The car will still start as the lock out for starting the car (ie, the car is not in PARK or NEUTRAL) is based on the position of the gear shifter, not the actual position of the tranny. But, this also puts you in a bad position because you can think you are in PARK, take your foot off the brake and roll into something else or you think you have it in DRIVE and you step on the gas and the car could lurch backwards (tranny is actually in REVERSE). I think you can see where this is bad. So, during your playing, keep your feet near the brake and be ready to step on the brakes hard to not cause damage to anything around you or to your car.
The car actually goes in park and stays in park. the only gears that are off are reverse and neutral. Reverse and neutral engages the tranny to go forward.