Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 X-Type won't come out of PARK

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 X-Type won't come out of PARK

Greetings,

I fear I already committed newbie mistakes! I posted this in the new member area ... but suspect belongs HERE.

My wife has a beautiful British Racing Green 2004 X-Type. When she is purring, she is a blast. She is not purring!

HELP!?

I have poked around and this sounds like a possible combination of a few issues. Gotta love those combo problems ...

My wife parked her jag on our INCLINED drive way. I doubt she set brake before going into park. Next time she tried to start it up, it would not even try!

I checked battery, appears to have 12 volts ... still no start. No solenoid, no starter action /sounds, just funny electronic noises. After she left, I climbed in and tried. SCARY! It was clicking and beeping and moaning and clicking and groaning but no start. No lights flashing on outside, yet in cabin it sounds like flashers are on! Both blinkers were blinking ...

Figured I would try to bump it and put it into neutral to try and roll down hill. No go! I can NOT get it out of Park!

Took ground off battery, security system did not like that much at all. Was hoping that would disable any electronic lock out. Still stuck in Park.

So there it sits, DEAD and little hope! I will not attempt to tow an AWD car I can not get into neutral. I can not put it up on dollies sitting on an incline with nose to garage.

Suggestions!? Is there some magical release button or switch? (I have since heard there IS such a switch, left side under wood trim).

Plan now is to charge battery and try again tonight. If it still won't play, I guess I try the magic switch and have her towed in

Lost,
Ralph

Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 PM

sounds like the battery is no good. put a volt meter on it and see what the voltage is then see how far it drops when you turn the key on and headlamps. it might be dropping next to nothing. Shifter wont come out of park when you step on the brake if you dont have enough voltage/ amperage to activate the solenoid.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Default Dough!

Thanks Midnight Vette!

You are absolutely correct.

It was a classic "Eye Dee Ten Tea" error! (write it out ...)

As you note, no power, no shiftee! I let myself get too distracted by that whole Park thing. Had son hook up charger to (disconnected) battery. Started right up, shifts fine.

Will never know ... but suspect ... my wife left something on!

Another side lesson revisited: Digital VOM beats Analog VOM, especially with old eyes!

THANKS!

Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 PM

Glad to hear it worked out