Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Jaguar X-Type Sport 3.0 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Jaguar X-Type Sport 3.0 AWD

Hey guys,

i'm in the market to buy a used car, i found a Jaguar X-Type Sport 3.0 AWD, Black on black, very clean, it currently has 100,000 miles. He is the 2nd owner of the car, and has said he has maintained it very well, also noted he replaced the water-pump, new battery and tires, currently asking 6500K for it but i talked em down on the price, to around 5500K.

I would like some advice from you jag experts on what i should or need to look for on these cars for this year and what maintenance i should be expecting, thank you. any help would be very appreciated

Old 08-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

ambitionist,

I would change out the spark plugs and fuel filter. While you are changing out the spark plugs, change out the upper and lower manifold intake gaskets. If you can do the work yourself, it will only take an afternoon and $100 to $150.

Check and make sure you have the ribbed PCV vacuum hose. Change it, if you have the smooth one.

Change out the PCV

Change our the IMT O-rings.

Just my suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails 2005 Jaguar X-Type Sport 3.0 AWD-jag-maf.jpg   2005 Jaguar X-Type Sport 3.0 AWD-jag-engine.jpg   2005 Jaguar X-Type Sport 3.0 AWD-jag-imt-valves.jpg   2005 Jaguar X-Type Sport 3.0 AWD-jag-intake-gasket.jpg   2005 Jaguar X-Type Sport 3.0 AWD-jag-intake-below-fuel-rail.jpg  

Old 08-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,894 Likes on 3,201 Posts

ambitionist, first off, welcome to the forums. I think you will like it here, but we do ask a simple thing first. Please stop by the "New Member Section" and introduce yourself. We are quirky that way. You will find that we are a different sort of car group and we like to get to know one another. Besides, this will give you a chance to learn who the movers and shakers are around here.

As for whether to get this car, I have to ask 1 question first: Are you looking for a car with great acceleration and to have fun going light to light? If so, this is going to be an expensive car to own. As the common saying goes in the X-Type area, "the X-Type is a great cruiser, but not much of a race car". The X-Type suffers from a weak transfer case. So, lots of power is going to shorten its life. With that being said, you can use the power when needed. But, the more you apply it, the more likely you are going to need to replace the transfer case. If you are after a car that will get out on the highway, allow you to set the cruise at 80 mph and enjoy a nice ride, then this is the car.

As others pointed out, probably about due for plugs. But, that is an easy fix if you are decent with wrenches. I would take it for a drive and see if you hear a whine when you get up to speed. That would be a sign that the transfer case is on its way out. Also, get the car up to 60-70 mph and see if the steering wheel shakes. If so, the alignment is out and needs to be adjusted again. You may also notice a slight vibration from under the driver's seat when you are around 50 mph. That would be the carrier bearing needing some grease (possibly needing replacement).

Also, give the rear tires a look over on the inside edges. If the rear alignment has not been looked at closely, you will see where the inside edges will have significantly more wear than the rest of the tire (due to the lower/forward track arm having worn out bushings).

Please don't take my words as the car being a lemon and shouldn't be driven. I am simply stating the common problems we have seen. The car is very reliable as long as you are nice to it. It will corner to beat just about anything out there. But, acceleration is where it kinda faulters in long term survivability.

So, if you are after a fun car to play with an have fun light to light, then I would recommend finding yourself say an S-Type R or something like that. You want something to cruise in comfort, then the X-Type will do that for you.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 PM
Default 2005 Jag X type 3.0 UK style Oil Cooler

Just asking if anyone know how the COOLING SYSTEM/ENGINE OIL COOLER for 2005 Jaguar X-Type is removed? I looked all around and couldn't find any nuts or bolts to it. I wanted to replace the O ring but didn't see how. Any thoughts?

Old 07-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Veteran member

Giswme, what part of MD are you in? I am so SoMD down near California, MD. If you want some help, let me know. I used to own an X-Type and should be able to get you taken care of. I can do some looking to see if I can find any info for you.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:37 PM
Thumbs up Greetings to Thermo

Thermo,

Yes, I'm from Southern MD located near Waldorf. I have had this 2005 X type 3.0 Jaguar since 2009 and it's been good until recently when I've begun to have bad 02 readings on bank 2 sensor 2. I also wanted to fix my oil pan leakage and wound up removing catalytic converter left side and radiator fan coolers. I followed instructions as to prior messages in Jaguar forum and made the quick fix without removing the transfer case. I don't think I'd do that again if I had to because it wound up being so much work. I should have just removed the transfer case and bought the tool to remove the rings. Now after finishing it all up, I closed the hood in my haste to go test drive it and found that I cannot open up the hood. I must have left something inside the hood compartment and now I'm in a mess. Have you ever had this happen and if so, how did you get it fixed? Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. LoL

Thanks in advance.,.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Veteran member

Giswme, I have seen this problem in the past. What you will need to do is to get the front end of the car up in the air a little bit. Remove the plastic tray from under the front bumper (like two T-25 bolts holding it in place as I recall). Once the plastic tray is removed, this will give you access to the area right behind the bumper. You should be able to look up and see the underside of the hood latches. You will need some sort of stick/lever to reach up and manually manipulate each hood latch lever to release the hood. Once you get it open, then I would recommend spraying the latches with some WD-40 to ensure they remain well lubed. Then you can also clear out what may be causing the hood to not release.