Old 03-22-2022, 06:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2005 Type X 3.0 AWD or 2004 S type V8 4.2 RWD

Which one?

Old 03-23-2022, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 758 Posts

Depends on what you are looking for.

For what it is worth.........here are my two cents.
Straight out power and acceleration...probably the S Type.
Cornering your thing? ....X Type AWD
If you are looking for daily driver including winter conditions....X Type AWD will have the edge especially in your colder climate.
If you need larger cabin space especially rear seating ....probably S-Type wins there as X is classed as a compact.
There is not much latitude to modify X engines, power trains, or stuffing wider tyres on them, so you need to be happy with the factory performance specs.

What floats your boat with aesthetics?
Do you prefer the styling lineage of XJ series - then you'll probably be seeking the X-Type.
If you like the oval grille throw back ...... then S-Type will suit your eye.

Whatever your choice, you would be advised to invest in a suitable OBD11 code reader to help you check possible vehicles and then stay on top of any issues that might come along with your choice.
Do some reading of the forums here to see what the common issues members are seeing and solving. That will help you research and familiarize yourself with the vehicles.
There are some good posts here on what to look for in buying an X Type, you should probably do a search and start there.
You could probably see if there is a similar posting on the S Type forum, if not then post a thread there asking existing member/owners what you should be looking out for for your chosen year and engine configuration.

Good luck with your search and choice.

Old 03-23-2022, 07:05 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

nube, like was said above, you want to drive a vehicle light to light for performance, S-TYpe hands down. You want to out corner another driver, X-Type. You need comfort, the S-Type is going to be a step up (granted, the X-Type is no slouch). Space, S-Type.

The X-Type is a great cruiser. You can set the cruise at 75 mph and it will click off the miles in no time flat.

Something I will point out that goes for both of the cars: If you are looking to upgrade the stereo system to something else, find a car with a very basic radio. If you find one with the Nav built into it, upgrading the radio is going to be a nightmare. Can it be done with a car that has Nav. Sure. But, your options become very limited or very costly.

I can only speak to what the X-Type can/will do as I have never owned or driven an S-Type. Take each for a test drive. But, factor in the capabilities of the AWD if that is important to you.

Old 03-25-2022, 07:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by h2o2steam
Depends on what you are looking for.

For what it is worth.........here are my two cents.
Straight out power and acceleration...probably the S Type.
Cornering your thing? ....X Type AWD
If you are looking for daily driver including winter conditions....X Type AWD will have the edge especially in your colder climate.
If you need larger cabin space especially rear seating ....probably S-Type wins there as X is classed as a compact.
There is not much latitude to modify X engines, power trains, or stuffing wider tyres on them, so you need to be happy with the factory performance specs.

What floats your boat with aesthetics?
Do you prefer the styling lineage of XJ series - then you'll probably be seeking the X-Type.
If you like the oval grille throw back ...... then S-Type will suit your eye.

Whatever your choice, you would be advised to invest in a suitable OBD11 code reader to help you check possible vehicles and then stay on top of any issues that might come along with your choice.
Do some reading of the forums here to see what the common issues members are seeing and solving. That will help you research and familiarize yourself with the vehicles.
There are some good posts here on what to look for in buying an X Type, you should probably do a search and start there.
You could probably see if there is a similar posting on the S Type forum, if not then post a thread there asking existing member/owners what you should be looking out for for your chosen year and engine configuration.

Good luck with your search and choice.
Originally Posted by Thermo
nube, like was said above, you want to drive a vehicle light to light for performance, S-TYpe hands down. You want to out corner another driver, X-Type. You need comfort, the S-Type is going to be a step up (granted, the X-Type is no slouch). Space, S-Type.

The X-Type is a great cruiser. You can set the cruise at 75 mph and it will click off the miles in no time flat.

Something I will point out that goes for both of the cars: If you are looking to upgrade the stereo system to something else, find a car with a very basic radio. If you find one with the Nav built into it, upgrading the radio is going to be a nightmare. Can it be done with a car that has Nav. Sure. But, your options become very limited or very costly.

I can only speak to what the X-Type can/will do as I have never owned or driven an S-Type. Take each for a test drive. But, factor in the capabilities of the AWD if that is important to you.
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I ended up getting a 2014 XFR-S