X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 X-Type Dipped Beams not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 X-Type Dipped Beams not working

Hi, I have a 2005 X-Type 3.0. My dipped beams aren't working, but the DRLs are working (same bulb). Seems that for some reason they aren't being switched over when I toggle them. Also, no dipped beam indicator on the dashboard. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Old 09-22-2019, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 730 Likes on 652 Posts

Fuse

Old 09-22-2019, 03:43 PM

Checked F29 and F30 in the engine bay, both good. R11 is also good obviously, because the DRLs work.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Sounds like a bad headlight switch to me. If you want to check and verify, let me know. I just need to know how good you are with a multimeter. If you are a novice, no big deal. Just figuring out how detailed I need to get.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:38 PM

Thanks, I've got a multimeter, and I've used it a few times to check voltages and resistances, etc. If you can point me in a direction, that would be great.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:23 PM

I may have this all wrong. This is a Canadian car, and from what I've been reading, the dipped beams may be on all the time by design, correct me if I'm wrong. I just assumed only the DRLs were working because they were pitifully dim at night. But now that I'm looking at it, it may be that they are the full dipped beams, and just have the adjusters broken and are pointing down.

So question is, does the 3 position light switch do nothing but turn on the dashboard lighting, and the dipped beams just run all the time, even in the off position?

Old 09-23-2019, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 730 Likes on 652 Posts

Yes

Old 09-23-2019, 06:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Defbeat, looking at the diagrams, in short, your headlight switch is there for decoration. The way that it is wired, your headlights (dip beams), and side marker lights are on all the time, regardless of what position your headlight switch is in. Really, turning the headlight switch is only controlling what part of the headlight switch is powering which lights. Really, your headlight switch is good for nothing more than controlling the fog lights (1 click out for the front fog lights, 2 clicks for front and rear fog lights). I would say to run your headlight switch through the 3 positions. If you see changing lights, then odds are, you have a bad headlight switch.

As for your headlights being dim, the first question I have to ask is whether you have halogen or HID headlights. If you are not sure, simply open up the driver's door and look at the hinge area. If you see a sticker there that talks about "this vehicle is equipped with High Intensity Discharge ........", then you have HID bulbs. If you don't see that sticker, then you have halogen bulbs. From there, I would park the car back about 20 feet (7 meters) from a wall and see where the headlights are aimed. They should be roughtly knee high on the wall. If they are up at your chest or down at the base of the wall. then the headlight internals are broken and need to be replaced. If the headlights are pointed in the correct spot, but they are dim, you may simply just need to buy new bulbs as the ones you have are getting old. If the new bulbs are still dim, then you most likely have a bad power wire to both bulbs. This is known to go bad. The wire going to the center post of the headlight bulb is what needs to be replaced. It is about a 9 inch piece of wire. If you have HID bulbs, then odds are your bulbs are getting old and they need to be replaced.

The following users liked this post:
Yorta2 (09-23-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,361 Posts

To clarify regarding the DRL system in the Canadian Jaguars:. In contrast to many other makes, Canadian-market Jaguars run always with ALL exterior lamps illuminated, front and rear (except fog units). On the X-Types up to late 2004 even the dash lights are always illuminated. My wife has driven her 2002 X-Type daily, day and night, for 15 years. She does not know where the light switch is because she has never needed to touch it.
In slight contrast, my 2005 X-Type has the revised system: all exterior lamps are illuminated all the time but the dash lights are not. I must turn the switch on to illuminate the dash lights.

I see too many cars running with no rear lights because owners are fooled by the fact that their front lights are on. You might think that the fact that their dash lights are not operating might be a clue, but sadly, many people are clueless. The Jaguar system takes this into account!

Old 09-26-2019, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the help Thermo and sov211. The headlights are halogen, and basically are pointed straight down and bounce around over bumps, so I've ordered an adjuster repair kit, and I'll see if I can get them working properly again. At least now I know there isn't an electrical problem to worry about. Cheers.