Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Estate windshield washer pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 393 Posts
Default 2006 Estate windshield washer pump problem

It appears that my X-type Estate windshield washer pump has stopped outputting water. The pumps runs but nothing comes out. The kicker is that it appears that on the Estates/Wagons we have a different pump than regular X-type sedans. (Estates have a rear wiper assembly and a washer line.)

(I replaced the hood nozzles with new ones along with a new washer line assembly.)
I have blown compressed air through the lines and they are both clear.)

1. Does anyone know if this pump is serviceable?
2. Anyone know where to purchase a new Extate pump? P/N?

Thanks.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

SNG Barratt a forum sponsor lists one available. They also offer a discount for forum members.

The following users liked this post:
Tijoe (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Dell Gailey also PM'd me the P/N. Thanks.

I saw pictures of one version ot this pump and it didn't look the same. The Pump I have is on the left and the most common one for sale online is shown on the right.
Since I posted the thread, I took out the pump and blew it out with air. Then figured out a way to blow air back into the fluid reservoir. After blowing into the reservoir, the pumps started flowing cleaning fluid again.
(One discovery I made is that the pump spins one direction to spray the front windshield, and the opposite direction to spray the rear window.)

I purchased new hood nozzles and a hose kit. Unfortunately the new nozzles appear to have larger diameter spray nozzles. Now the fluid barely makes it to the bottom of the windshield. I ended up putting the old ones back in despite their fitting tip being broken off.
I wrote the seller asking them to confirm what the nozzle diameter should be, in case they sent me one that weren't made correctly. Now I am on the prowl for a pair of OEM ones at a decent price.

Last edited by Tijoe; 10-01-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

Issue Solved: This morning I had the bright idea of putting on a different set spray nozzles. Went to Autozone and purchased a $13 set of universal wide spray nozzles. Figured I would put one on first and see if it helps. First thing I do while trying to screw on the plastic nut that came with the set is drop it into a cavity between the hood and reinforcing stiffener on the bottome of the hood. (Now its lost and gone forever,)
Used the nut off the second nozzle and installed the wide spray Dorman nozzle.

Squirt-Squirt, Waaaa, not better.

Then I get the bright idea to swap a pump off of one of my other X-type Wagons to verify if it is indeed the pump. First made sure it sprays well on the donor car. Then removed the pump. (All went smoothly)
Then went to the car with the problem and this time when I went to pull the pump out of the reservoir, the inner filter/rubber seal came out. (Along with all the washer fluid, but faster. Thumb over the hole and pan in hand, cought most of the fluid.)
Removed the rubber seal/filter from the pump and saw it was all slimy. Then looked in the bucket of washer fluid and saw what appeared to be 5-6 small jellyfish like globs of slime.
Cleaned and blew off the filter, put it back together and voila! It all works well now.

I think that when I blew compressed air into the reservoir yesterday it only pushed the slime globs away from the pump intake. Then when I activated the pump they swarmed back around the pump and restricted the flow.

Last edited by Tijoe; 10-02-2020 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling